1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seasons greetings to all!

1999 ML320

Can anyone explain to me what may be happening? I visited a friend today and while doing so I left the truck idling for about 20 minutes - outside temp was about 19 degrees. When I came back to the truck, the check engine light was on and the low fuel warning light was flashing. I drove the truck about 2 minutes way, and turn it off. Two hours later I started it and drove it home - the flashing low fuel light was off but the check engine light is still on.

Question: Can I clear the codes myself to see if the problem comes back? If so how does one clear the codes and turn off the check engine light.

Thanks to all who reply!

Scott

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
You can turn off the CEL in three ways.

#1 Disconnect the negative battery cable for 1 min. and reconnect.(does not work for every code).

#2 With a scanner (preferred).

#3 Read the info below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Witek M, 43sqd,

Thanks for your replies......are there any risks when disconnecting the battery?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
Witek M, 43sqd,

Thanks for your replies......are there any risks when disconnecting the battery?
Absolutely none. Just make sure that when disconnecting and reconnecting, the key is in your pocket.

I neglected to include what Merzatt correctly posted below.
▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,600 Posts
Reprogramming after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery ground cable

1) Enter the security code for the radio.
- Enter the number on the radio card and hit "OK" (Tune/Autoseek or SC button for older models)

If the code is entered incorrectly, word "CODE" appears on the display. After entering the wrong code for 3 times, "WAIT" appears on the display and the radio is disabled for 10 mins. After entering the wrong code for 3 more times, radio is disabled for 60 mins.

2) Re-activate steering angle sensor
- Start the engine
- Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock.
- Malfunction lamp should turn off.

3) Synchronize sunroof
- Open sunroof and hold down the switch. Sunroof moves to the end position, pulls back 1/4 turn and stops.

4) Synchronize power windows (as of VIN A289565)
- Press the switch for the power windows to the 1st actuation point, and then hold down for another 5 seconds after the windows has reached its top end position.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
If it is simply the loose gas cap issue, won't the code clear on it's own once the cap is secured? Is there really a need to disconnect the battery and jump through all the associated hoops?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
If it is simply the loose gas cap issue, won't the code clear on it's own once the cap is secured? Is there really a need to disconnect the battery and jump through all the associated hoops?
No and yes. No, if you mean as soon as you tighten the gas cap, and yes if you mean eventually, which requires three trip cycles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts