Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 560sel
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car (89 560SEL) is proudly displaying it's "Check Engine " light. I have yet to perform any repairs on this car, but I am pretty competent with a wrench. Does anyone know of any quick fixes to turn off the light? I need to get CA Smog done in the next week. I am assuming that this car is pre-OBDII, that would be too easy, am I wrong?

Harrison

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Check engine light = O2 sensor.

Let me know if I Can help out w/ one.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Check engine light = O2 sensor.

Let me know if I can help out w/ one.

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 560sel
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O2 sensor every time? Isn't there a way to pull and reset codes from the ECU?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You're dealing w/ Very, very basic engine diagnostics.. There is no reset anything that I have come across.

MB changed the name of the light from O2 sensor to check engine, but it still does the same thing.

When was your's changed last?
Jonathan

·
Registered
89 560sel
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that does sound primitive. i have only had the car a few months, it has 199k miles. so it is probably pretty old. previous owner said that it came on every now and then. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Are you saying the O2 sensor has never been replaced?? They are Good for about 40-50K, and get Very slow in responding by 60K.

I'd say it's time to give it swap it out;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry jhodg5ck, but you couldn't be more wrong. The MIL lights for other reasons besides the O2 sensor with DTCs and pending codes stored in memory. Thankfully, you don't need a scantool to read or delete the DTCs. I've provided a link to the instructions in a PDF file.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1654114/560_sel_mil.pdf.html

P.S. If you've never used rapid share before, you have to click the "free" button on the bottom of the page and wait about a minute before you can click the link to download the file.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My previous post is for a California certified car. A federal car's MIL light behaves like jhodg5ck stated earlier.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
true, I just had yet to have a car come in where it wasn't the O2 sensor. And yes, I wasn't considering the CA car, they do have some additional systems involved.

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 560sel
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up:

thanks for the diagrams, clearing the codes was enough to get it to pass CA smog test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts