Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 4matic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I have a 2000 E430, and my check engine light has just come on. I've noticed the car seems to be revving a little higher than normal, and shifting doesn't seem to change it, or changes very little. Is there a way of retrieving the codes without a reader? I live in a very remote area and the nearest MB is 5 hours away. Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi Everyone! I have a 2000 E430, and my check engine light has just come on. I've noticed the car seems to be revving a little higher than normal, and shifting doesn't seem to change it, or changes very little. Is there a way of retrieving the codes without a reader? I live in a very remote area and the nearest MB is 5 hours away. Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks!
None at all. You can order a basic reader online for under $20 from Amazon, though I don't know what it would cost up there with shipping, etc. All you need is an OBD-II reader (it will also clear codes). If you have an android phone you can buy the bluetooth OBD-II interface and use the TORQ app, but that will be more costly than a basic reader.

In the states some parts stores will read codes for free, you don't need a dealer. Or if you have an indy shop near you they can do it as well.

I would try to drive the car as little as possible until you can get the codes read. While it's not a critical situation, there are some things that can overheat and damage the cats, and those are expensive to replace.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'99 E430 '98 C230
57 Posts
Autozone and Advance and Oreillys will check it for free and give you a print out with the possible cause and code for the CE light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts