Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E420
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light just came on and i have a code reader and it detected error code P0300 in the book it described it as Misfire cylinder i reset the code to see if it will come back but I just want to know if anyone got this code before and what was the damage associated just tryin to get prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
That is the one for random or multiple misfires, i.e. not tied to any one cylinder.

Is the car running okay otherwise? Had you just purchased gas? Bad gas can trip things up.

If it comes back, the fuel filter is always a good thing to check as well. It's possible the CPS could toss that code as well if it's acting up.

You don't mention miles on the car or other maintenance that is due or past due, so if you post back with it please provide all that detail -- and if you could it is helpful if you could do that in some structured way or outline rather than a single packed paragraph, it sure makes things easier to read and follow.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E420
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well just last week I just had my radiator replaced the week before that I had an oil change done plus old fuel filter replaced as well i have 134,769 on the dash. The car still runs smooth but like you said it might of been some bad gas is what I'm thinkin I reset the code so far so good it hasnt come back so I will keep my fingers crossed.

That is the one for random or multiple misfires, i.e. not tied to any one cylinder.

Is the car running okay otherwise? Had you just purchased gas? Bad gas can trip things up.

If it comes back, the fuel filter is always a good thing to check as well. It's possible the CPS could toss that code as well if it's acting up.

You don't mention miles on the car or other maintenance that is due or past due, so if you post back with it please provide all that detail -- and if you could it is helpful if you could do that in some structured way or outline rather than a single packed paragraph, it sure makes things easier to read and follow.

Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
At that mileage you should do plugs and O2 sensors if not already, they are waaaaayyyy past due.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Actually...

At that mileage you should do plugs and O2 sensors if not already, they are waaaaayyyy past due.
the OP's car is powered by the twin-cam M119, which has a spark plug interval of 30K miles, so if the car has been maintained per the factory service regimen, he is half way between plug changes. If not, a look see would be in order.

The factory service booklet for the 1997 E-420 actually does not specify a service interval for the O2 sensors, but 100K would seem prudent.

The most likely cause of the misfire is a coil pack going south... this can cause a P0300 code to be recorded. A failing coil pack on these engines seems to generate "sympathetic" misfires on other cylinders... go figure.

JR

·
Registered
2002 E320 sports limitted edition
301 Posts
Hey Greg,

I asked my SA about O2 sensors being that I am at 93500 miles on my car and he said he has seen W210's go up to 150k miles or more before needing new ones. Suggested to wait until the they trigger a CEL light as they are expensive if done by MB dealer or indy in our area (not much cheaper). I would never take it to any old garage to do it and I think I would have indy or dealer do as I am not DYI. What are your thoughts on this? I already have new spark plugs that I did a few months ago. Your expertise is always appreciated! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

·
Registered
97 E420, 83 300SD, 98 C280
16 Posts
My 97-E420 had error codes P0300, P0301. Sure enough, #1 coil pack was bad. Replace it and also replaced connectors on all cylinders. Most connectors were in pretty bad shape (except couple newer ones). While I'm at it, also replaced spark plugs with the Bosch OEM copper plugs. It is a straight forward job, unlike the newer M112, M113 engines which is a royal pain in the rear end.

You might have some cause other than the coil pack. I would however make sure that the spark plugs and the connectors are in tiptop shape.

Shane

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
O2 sensors

are 100k mile wear items much like spark plugs,I changed plugs on a w210 at our plug seminar that raymond and a few other members attended and the plugs had not been changed in over 125k miles,he had no cel either and really did not notice anything ,he sure did note the improvement in mpg when changed.
Same with o2 sensors,by the time they have degraded enough to trip a check engine light you have lost several miles per gallon and potentially by running to rich an air /fuel ratio A/F risk damage or failure to a good set of Cats.
Any good indie can change them,any good guy with tools can change them, any good mechanic of which service advisor's are not:eek:,can change them.
Heck even with some basic splicing skills,Greg with his already admitted all thumbs;)can change them.
Figure out what 2-3 mpg over the next 50k miles adds up to,then add in the potential cats issue at CA approved cat prices and do the math
ohlord:bowdown:
"GOT CODES?"

The op's problem was already solved by Moi over on mbworld.org w210 section,I figured that since the m119 is so prone to water related issues in the plug connectors that maybe he had recently washed his engine or ran through a big puddle.Turns out they had just had a massive rain storm and he had in fact driven through a huge puddle the same day the cel tripped for p0300 code.Dried it off no more codes:thumbsup:

change your o2 sensors ,so I don't have to solve your misfire codes and cat failures:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a misfire also on #4......But unlike the orginal poster I changed the plugs and also the coil pack. After about 3 days of running like a DREAM, I hit a bump well it was mor like a ditch lol, And now it shakes again! And what do you know it's #4 again! Any ideas? Oh I'm not trying to hijack this psot but I can't find where to start a new thread! Thanks.
Leroy
Ohhhhh lol.
1997 M-B -E420 Sport
168000 miles
new bosch plus 2 spark plugs
and one used coil pack (which I guess is wahts bad again)
Wwhat do you guys think?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I have a misfire also on #4......But unlike the orginal poster I changed the plugs and also the coil pack. After about 3 days of running like a DREAM, I hit a bump well it was mor like a ditch lol, And now it shakes again! And what do you know it's #4 again! Any ideas? Oh I'm not trying to hijack this psot but I can't find where to start a new thread! Thanks.
Leroy
Ohhhhh lol.
1997 M-B -E420 Sport
168000 miles
new bosch plus 2 spark plugs
and one used coil pack (which I guess is wahts bad again)
Wwhat do you guys think?
Personally I'd remove the Plus-2s and stay OEM, but the misfire issue is likely the connectors, which are a weak link in the secondary ignition path on the 4.2L.

Greg

PS, please click the User CP link and complete your BW profile for vehicle and location as that is often useful information.

PPS: to add to MM's note, there is a New Topic button both at the top of the column over posts (again, from the main 210 page, not within a thread) as well as one at the bottom, see shots below.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
I made the mistake of washing down the engine with a water hose.
Water crept down into the spark plug area pooled there and shorted out one of the coil. It didn't give me a problem right away. It ran erratic 2 days later, and then I checked the engine codes with an OBD. Cylinder 1 misfire, was the reading. The code I don't recall. I found the water sitting in the hole and it shorted out one of the coil packs.

Ya didn't wash the engine, did ya?

Aardvark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.