Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the regular service done...Washing out of the underbody, oil spray etc. and it seems some over zealous chap also washed out the engine bay :mad:.

This was earlier today and on the first start after service, the Check Battery/Alternator Malfunction Code came on. I figured this to be a result of water finding its way to some connector and shorting the circuit so told the chaps to do pressure air cleaning of all the visible electrical points. The Malfunction Code went away, but now it comes back intermittently.

The alternator is charging ok and everything else works fine.

Been adviced to let the engine completely dry out and it wil correct itself.

Your thoughts on this please...before something serious manifests itself.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Had the regular service done...Washing out of the underbody, oil spray etc. and it seems some over zealous chap also washed out the engine bay :mad:.

This was earlier today and on the first start after service, the Check Battery/Alternator Malfunction Code came on. I figured this to be a result of water finding its way to some connector and shorting the circuit so told the chaps to do pressure air cleaning of all the visible electrical points. The Malfunction Code went away, but now it comes back intermittently.

Thanks
This may or may not work. I would suggest that you wait for a couple of day to let it "dry out" and then see if the problem persists. I would check for codes to make sure.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Ditto to CR, especially reading the codes. If the shop that did the work told you to let it dry out, I would probably do that. The quickest way to do that is to drive it, but I would be hesitant to do that until you are sure that's all it is.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Oh BTW sorry to hear of the attacks. Are you guys close to a war with Pakistan? A friend of mine is Indian who subscribes to the Indian news channels and I was listening to their news and it seems like there is a lot of pressure from the media. I was surprised that we in the States are not hearing 1% of this on our news channels and just how grave the situation is. Some Pakistanis I know in our university are from army families and they tell me that talk is strong within the army higher-ups that Pakistan is not planning on a conventional defense this time and there is a lot of talk amongst the higher-ups that it is a real possibility for Pakistan to go ahead with a first strike nuclear weapon. The Pakistani channels are relatively quiet about these developments. Other news channels have said that Pakistan is relocating its troops from the Afghan border to the Indian border. Is there any truth to any of this? Do you think there will be a war? This would be disastrous. I pray for both countries.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts

Thanks
Hi, Mo.

I too would be a bit concerned about just driving around. There were regulator problems with these cars so it's possible they've triggered an issue there, or it is possible the moisture has gotten in someplace pretty much "sealed" and condensed and each heat/cool cycle simply recondenses it.

Were it my car and the place that did this were a regular shop, I'd be inclined to return and have them remove the alternator and then the regulator, clean and dry all of the connections (and blow out the alternator and brush assembly on the regulator) and then reassemble and see if that takes care of it.

If it's just a bunch of moron with hoses, rags and a steam cleaner, I'd do the R&R work on the alternator/regulator myself. If you aren't comfortable with that then talk to the owner of the detailing shop and tell him you expect him to cover the bill with your indie/dealer doing that. I would also then pay the mechanic to just replace the regulator while he is in there, it's about US$50 for the part and the labor should be included since he'd have to remove it anyway to blow out the alternator. Come to think of it, if you DIY, I'd probably replace the regulator anyway (again, you're saving your own labor) and then hand the parts bill to the detailers.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
...I would suggest that you wait for a couple of day to let it "dry out"......check for codes to make sure.[/U]
Will do, thanks.

...The quickest way to do that is to drive it, but I would be hesitant to do that until you are sure that's all it is.
Hence, shall wait a couple of days for it to 'dry out' and then go for a codes check. Incidentally, the last time I switched off (last night) there was no malfinction code...So will check again later today.

Oh BTW sorry to hear of the attacks...
Yes, they were horrible and to add to it, I live in the immediate area of the attacks and was caught up in a movie theatre close to the Trident Hotel.

Are you guys close to a war with Pakistan? A friend of mine is Indian who subscribes to the Indian news channels and I was listening to their news and it seems like there is a lot of pressure from the media.
From the media reports/interviews of various persons, it would seem that a war is probably justified (not in my personal opionion though) and hence may be imminent, but frankly, if your read between the lines, I don't think its in anyone's interests, not the international community, and least of all Pakistan and India to have military conflict. Unfortunately, the Indian media tends to stir up the news (pretty much to increases the ratings). Not that they are incorrect in the news that is reported, but its the way its put across to the viewer...dramatized to some extent.

I was surprised that we in the States are not hearing 1% of this on our news channels and just how grave the situation is.
The US is actively involved in the region and is maintaining intense pressure not to allow this to go into a full blown conflict. If, God forbid, this goes 'out of hand' then the US channels will be broadcasting it, but for now, my opnion is that things are pretty much 'under control'.

...possibility for Pakistan to go ahead with a first strike nuclear weapon.......Other news channels have said that Pakistan is relocating its troops from the Afghan border to the Indian border. Is there any truth to any of this?
Nuclear...unlikely, that would totally isolate Pakistan, or for that matter any nation, that would use nuke as a first strike poilicy...I don't think Pakistan can afford to get isolated. What is more worrying is if nukes 'get into the wrong hands...'. which hands Pakistan claims they thenselves are a victim of too.

Regards troop reloaction...Officially both governments are denying any such reloaction. Both claim these are yearly routine practices with the winter setting in in the region...

Do you think there will be a war? This would be disastrous. I pray for both countries.
Thank you for your prayers. Yes, it would be disastrous, not only for India and Pakistan, but also for the entire region and the US will have get to involved (in fact the US is already involved) considering their presence in North Pakistan and Afghanistan. However, I think the moment of going to war has passed...It could have happened immediately after the attacks as a knee jerk reaction. Fortunately, the Indian Govt. was more cautious and involved the international community in the process of evidence gathering and diplomacy. I certainly hope this results in the control of forces that promote terror the world over. Unfortunately, at present Pakistan claims that the proof submitted by India and other international agencies is 'insufficient'. Whether the proof is sufficient or not is debatable by the persons having the proof, but this denial is leading to anger and resentment with the Indians.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Hi, Mo.

I too would be a bit concerned about just driving around....
Hence, will wait a couple of days for it to dry out and then check the codes.

Were it my car and the place that did this were a regular shop...
Would rather not have these chaps fiddlle in there again..

...I'd do the R&R work on the alternator/regulator myself...
If not ok after a couple of days wait then will DIY.
...you expect him to cover the bill with your indie/dealer doing that....Greg
They are not that honest here !!!

To all: Thanks for all the responses...You guys are great on this forum. Will post further developments. Take care and apologies for having strayed off the MB content on this forum.

UPDATE:

Couldn't wait...impatient by nature! Any how it seems the drying out suggested by you'll worked...No malfunction warnings...everything back to normal :)

FURTHER UPDATE!

Had the codes checked on the Star...everything was fine with the alternator. After a physical check found the jumper connector wire was partially corroded and the connector to the alternator had lost its locking plug. Cleaned out the jumper connector and fitted the alternator connector back on tight and further clasped it in place...all ok for now!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts