Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S430 AMG wannabe
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

I have steering wheel switches (the ones next to the airbag), that are looking like crap. Gray paint wore off in MANY places, and they look bad, and specially at night when the light shows through all white rub marks. I wonder what kind of paint they used on these, because it looks like it wears off as you look at it.

Anyway,....is there a cheaper source for these, or the Official Stealer is the only choice? Found some on Ebay, but sight unseen, I'm better off with new ones. I would pull off and paint the existing ones, but I would loose night illumination. Contacted the guy that restores these, and he would paint these, and put STICKERS on them!? "Stickers" ? Gimme a brake.

New ones are about 2bills from the Stealer, used ones on Ebay about a Bill, and I'd like to be somewhere in between. I searched all "usual suspects" (Autohaus, Eckler, etc) and can't find anything. It seems like these things wear down quickly, and the logic says that wholesale OEM suppliers would jump on this opportunity that demand offers.

Any thoughts?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
It is a shame yours are damaged; there are several suggestions in the links in the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia suggesting how to remove the goo without damaging them.

Unfortunately, the "soft touch" treatment MB uses breaks down over time with the combination of heat and mixing with body oils & sweat.

However, other than a dealer, ebay or possibly a breaker yard such as Potomac German Auto, I don't have many suggestions for sources.

·
Registered
2002 S430 AMG wannabe
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I guess I'll just order the new ones, my baby deserves it (not the car,....the wife!), she's complaining about these more than I do.

But now that you answered, I gotta ask,......where is all the goo coming from? I managed to clean the goo off of the glove box buttons, but steering swithes were long gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts