Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed the steering coupling on my '80 240D is in pretty awful shape. I want to replace it, but I've discovered that the local dealer wants $120 for that bit of metal and rubber. The coupling explains some of the play in my steering wheel, but I don't want to spend that much on that little part.

Does anyone know where I can get one at a better price, or a way to replace the rubber so I don't have to buy a new one?
I figured if I got in a bind and it broke on me, I could tie the thing up with some kind of wire. But clearly that's not a permanent fix.

Also, a side issue: This steering wheel is huge and rubs on the tops of my legs. Is there a smaller steering wheel out there that I can replace it with?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Performance products has the steering coupling for $67.
As far as your steering rubbing your legs - is your seat as low as it can be set? To be sure it's set as low as it can, move your seat all the way forward by the lever in the front of the seat, then lift the lever on the side of your seat and move the seat all the way back - that's the lowest setting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, that would explain it. I didn't realize the side lever was a height adjustment, I thought it was just more forward-back travel. That'll probably help, thanks.

I can't find the steering coupling at Performance Products. I've looked under every section under 'steering', to no avail.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ah, that would explain it. I didn't realize the side lever was a height adjustment, I thought it was just more forward-back travel. That'll probably help, thanks.

I can't find the steering coupling at Performance Products. I've looked under every section under 'steering', to no avail.
Try this link
Steering Coupler and Other Mercedes Parts and Mercedes Accessories by Performance Products it should take you to the page. They call it a steering coupler.
Glad I thought to mention the seat height adjustment - I'm over 6' tall and
I can get it so low on my coupe that I can barely see over the dash and when fully up, I can't get into the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts