Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
W210 2002
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
Instead of buying A210 830 02 72 (A 2108300272) Sun sensor for more than $100 you can fix it for less than $25 and it will work as the original part do.
The old photodiode you have is defective either it’s completely dead or is working improperly as mine was, it’s simple to see this from my sensor following reading in a spectrophotometer graph:
0001.jpg (the first graph)
And as you can see, the peak is at 850 nm (infrared) and this is correct but it should come as a peak value with steady incline a decline not like the above, it should be like the following
0002.jpg (the 2nd graph)
So this is why my car considered that my Sun Sensor is defective.
NOW, replace this one with OSRAM BPX 61, you can buy it from RS article NO: 654 7785 AND DON’T FORGET TO REINSTALL THE RESISTOR which is 0.2 Mega ohm and make sure that you put the sensor in the exact polarity (DON’T REVERSE POLARITY OF THE SENSOR).

I have installed this in my MB 2002 W210 for a week now and it’s working perfectly until now, I will do further tests on it in the next few days and will post any problem that may aries.
BUT if you want to do this I shall not be held responsible or liable if this will void your warranty and for any damage that may occur based on the information provided, or for any damage, expense or injury you may sustain through your reliance upon information obtained from or through this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Interesting thread Omega1. Did your car throw any error codes or did you discover in some other fashion that the sun sensor was not working properly? If it was by your observation, what were your symptoms please?

·
Registered
W210 2002
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks musikmann, I was getting B1234 from the Climate control Secret Menu + as you can see from the 1st graph, almost all visible light spectrum generates almost the same excitation in the photodiode (almost like the peak value) so there were no gradient in the fluctuation of FAN speed + cooling according to light intensity as it should be when set to auto.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Thank you for the further information Omega1. That certainly makes sense and confirms that mine is working as intended. When the sunlight shines brightly through the windshield, thereby activating the sensor's photodiode, the fan speed increases when in Auto mode.

·
Registered
W210 2002
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the further information Omega1. That certainly makes sense and confirms that mine is working as intended. When the sunlight shines brightly through the windshield, thereby activating the sensor's photodiode, the fan speed increases when in Auto mode.
Yes exactly, mine was working almost at max. even at normal visible light not at the peak value of infrared.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Great information, Pics would be great

Yes exactly, mine was working almost at max. even at normal visible light not at the peak value of infrared.
Omega, I get the fault code too, during the day the AC seems to work fine but at night it works too well. My question to you is during a sunny day if you obscure the photo sensor can you see a change in the fan speed? And when it is broken (1234) dose it break in a fast fan speed default?

·
Registered
W210 2002
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Omega, I get the fault code too, during the day the AC seems to work fine but at night it works too well. My question to you is during a sunny day if you obscure the photo sensor can you see a change in the fan speed? And when it is broken (1234) dose it break in a fast fan speed default?
Sorry for being late in my reply, I was out of the country...

OK, by using the climate control as a diagnostic tool (by holding the "REST" button in for 5 seconds while it's operational) click the left "Auto" several times until you get to # 12 on the screen, this is the sensor value in Volts, this value should change from 4.3 to ~1 Dark to SUN...
See the value on the screen when the sun hit the sensor, it should be about 1.something, put your hand over it and you’ll see that it goes right up to 4.3... It should do this at the infrared spectrum because this is where the sensor’s peak is, my new replacement is working fine for now without any errors even when tested with star diagnostic. :)
I have attached a picture of my old sensor that I have replaced, if you need other pictures, I have to disassemble it...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
Why buy some aftermarket product when you can get the original for $31???:confused::confused::confused:
OE Discount Parts

My philosophy, we have great cars, why use these cheap aftermarket parts. Your Mercedes seizes to be a Mercedes. Buy a Chevy, Ford, or a Kia instead, they are all in the same category.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,497 Posts
Why buy some aftermarket product when you can get the original for $31???:confused::confused::confused:
OE Discount Parts

My philosophy, we have great cars, why use these cheap aftermarket parts. Your Mercedes seizes to be a Mercedes. Buy a Chevy, Ford, or a Kia instead, they are all in the same category.
why buy aftermarket? because parts break on my mercedes, unlike my chevy's. While I like the mercedes, great car, great performance, great handling, reliability sucks compared to my Chevy's. If factory breaks why buy another factory part? buy replacements that won't break.

Reactions: Al_Savage

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
why buy aftermarket? because parts break on my mercedes, unlike my chevy's. While I like the mercedes, great car, great performance, great handling, reliability sucks compared to my Chevy's. If factory breaks why buy another factory part? buy replacements that won't break.
Yikes about your experience with Mercedes. If you are not the original owner, then maybe the previous owner really didn't care on the maintenance? As for me, my E320 has given me better performance than every Chevy I've had (all brand new with timely maintenance and preventive maintenance), did better than the Lexus, Nissan as well as Honda. Maybe you got a bad MB and great Chevys or maybe I just lucked up and got a great Mercedes and rotten Chevys. To me, a Mercedes seizes to be a Mercedes if you put in unoriginal parts. You do have a point about parts breaking but even Mercedes continues to improve it parts, especially if a fault is found on the original design. An example is the notorious harness that degrades over time and just cracks on the W124. The new ones (replacements) are not defective. Same goes for countless parts. On my Suburban, a 2002 with 67k original ALL HIGHWAY MILES, there is a sound in the steering wheel, like a cluck. This was apparent in the late 90s on the suburbans and the silverados which they never corrected and this problem with the steering/suspension existed on virtually all of then until I believe until 2006. They changes shapes on 2007 or 08. So throughout the run, Chevy never fixed the problem. My part was replaced under warranty, and 10K miles later it started again, changed again and happened again. I just put up with it now.
So if you have to replace a broken or worn out part on your MB, this doesn't mean it is defective design. It can simply be just due to wear and tear. My 2000 E320 is now 10 years old! Parts are going to break. If you believe that a part has worn or needs replaced too soon, then at least, I try to investigate whether the replacement part has been improved by MB or not. You will find that more times then not, the parts have been redesigned.
Our MBs are great cars but YES, I do believe that Mercedes put out nothing but shit after 1999 and are just getting back to what they used to be.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
You will find that more times then not, the parts have been redesigned.
Our MBs are great cars but YES, I do believe that Mercedes put out nothing but shit after 1999 and are just getting back to what they used to be.
believe whatever you want, but mercedes parts have always broke and always will, just like any other car. for the price mercedes cost brand new, they should have problems 10x less from what they do. don't get me wrong, i love mercedes (have 2) and have been around them since i can't remember, but they do break as often as any other car, and sometimes more:eek: aftermarket parts are as good as original mb parts most of the time. don't forget that the part that broke in the first place was genuine mercedes part. i do almost all the work myself, but just parts that need to be replaced cost me an average of $300-500/year.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
believe whatever you want, but mercedes parts have always broke and always will, just like any other car. for the price mercedes cost brand new, they should have problems 10x less from what they do. don't get me wrong, i love mercedes (have 2) and have been around them since i can't remember, but they do break as often as any other car, and sometimes more:eek: aftermarket parts are as good as original mb parts most of the time. don't forget that the part that broke in the first place was genuine mercedes part. i do almost all the work myself, but just parts that need to be replaced cost me an average of $300-500/year.
Of course. Mechanical things will break no matter what brand car. Whenever a part (OEM) breaks down, before replacing, I usually try to find out whether the new oem mb part has been improved/redesigned and if so I buy mb, if not then I may try aftermarket but only if a part is problematic. If a part breaks down, then it really does NOT mean that it is inferior as, like you said, parts WILL break. This is true for every car. If we always buy aftermarket, then we are really not driving MBs as after a while, it will become basically a "CLONE" of an MB. Every MB part almost has an aftermarket part. I'm wondering, if we replaced all of our parts with aftermarket parts (would be extremely costly) and then see if this clone would outlast the original OEM car.:confused:

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
$300 to $500 a year?

For parts that need to be replaced.
Regular maint items,oil, filters,plugs at 100k, an evap temp sensor and a few bulbs and I don't have $300 to $500 into one of my wagons in over 2 years and way over 30.000 miles.
How you are breaking $300-$500 worth of parts a year is beyond me.
That's like some part breaking every month or a major part every few months.
Maybe I just hang out with a bunch of Mercedes buddies that race and own a lot of Mercedes and don't seem to have any complaints.
:bowdown:

Almost all the parts are sourced out and therefore aftermarket. You just need to look for the ones made by the companies that made the oem part or meet oe quality.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
For parts that need to be replaced.
Regular maint items,oil, filters,plugs at 100k, an evap temp sensor and a few bulbs and I don't have $300 to $500 into one of my wagons in over 2 years and way over 30.000 miles.
How you are breaking $300-$500 worth of parts a year is beyond me.
That's like some part breaking every month or a major part every few months.
Maybe I just hang out with a bunch of Mercedes buddies that race and own a lot of Mercedes and don't seem to have any complaints.

Almost all the parts are sourced out and therefore aftermarket. You just need to look for the ones made by the companies that made the oem part or meet oe quality.
here comes ohlord, the guy who knows everything and is never wrong:eek:. i'm not complaining, read carefully what i said. you just bought a mercedes a couple years ago and talk like you have been driving them all your life.
you have worked on cars all your life and know very well that on a used car parts will go bad, especially on a german car with a lot of electronics. my w210 has been pretty good to me from what i hear from the others, but still parts go bad every now and then. just in the last year: blower regulator $150, conductor plate + filter + fluid $250.
prior year: oxygen sensor $150, air sensor $130.
some years i don't have to replace anything, some years i might replace a few, but don't forget that just light bulbs will cost $50/year.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
here comes ohlord, the guy who knows everything and is never wrong
:thumbsup: He does know a lot. He has never been wrong on the advice he has given me. I trust my car to ohlord more than the dealer. Thanks ohlord for all your contributions which has indirectly helped me save thousands. I APPRECIATE YOU!!:thumbsup: Others also. When I get ready to buy my W210 wagon, it will be thru ohlord.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts