Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
The CLK has a lot less distance to the flange that mates to the exhaust. The ground clearance is 3.4" less and the engine sits that much closer to the bottom.

The headers would fit the engine without a problem. At that point a custom exhaust shop
would have to cut it the flange, add a few inches and then mate it to the exhaust.
All that for maybe 10hp is just not worth it.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
4wd30, i love the enthusiasm but i gotta ask. Whats with you trying to make your ML 430 into a ML55?
I remember reading a post exactly like this from you a while ago.
Theres not much your going to be able to do with this engine for cheap to gain H.P. like your looking for.
Im not trying to be an ass, but i see u posting on every thread that may gain a little H.P, and starting threads on how slow the 430 is (most recently compared to a civic). Why not just buy a 55 or a faster SUV or car to begin with?

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry man, I just gotta make due with what I have, I need the ML430 for the utility and space but I can't afford the higher price of the ML55 with the raised insurance. I just want to make what I already have a bit more fun. If I trade my ML430 in, I would lose a lot as my 430 only has about 43k miles on it.

4wd30, i love the enthusiasm but i gotta ask. Whats with you trying to make your ML 430 into a ML55?
I remember reading a post exactly like this from you a while ago.
Theres not much your going to be able to do with this engine for cheap to gain H.P. like your looking for.
Im not trying to be an ass, but i see u posting on every thread that may gain a little H.P, and starting threads on how slow the 430 is (most recently compared to a civic). Why not just buy a 55 or a faster SUV or car to begin with?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
No need to say sorry. Im all for customizing your truck and you do what you want for mods. Im just letting you know there wont be much you can easily do to gain H.P. in this engine, and anything that may give u a big jump wont be worth the $$$.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
4wd if you have got 43.000 miles on it, i would keep it as it will last as long as the body lasts and if it is garaged you may have a future classic on your hands.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha you think so? Classic Alabama made ML

4wd if you have got 43.000 miles on it, i would keep it as it will last as long as the body lasts and if it is garaged you may have a future classic on your hands.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
Sorry man, I just gotta make due with what I have, I need the ML430 for the utility and space but I can't afford the higher price of the ML55 with the raised insurance. I just want to make what I already have a bit more fun. If I trade my ML430 in, I would lose a lot as my 430 only has about 43k miles on it.
First, if you traded for a higher mile ML500, not sure you couldn't do close to an even swap, or buy one and sell the other yourself. You get a newer car too. That would add some power.

But if you want some improvement on the 430, not sure the headers are NOT the way to go. Given the price of the headers, I don't think you would spend more than $200 for a competent exhaust shop to fabricate some pipe and do what is necessary to fit these up. I would print the picture and talk to the shop to get their estimate.

Don't know how much power these headers will show, you might want to call the company who is selling and look at dyno's as back up. Add some low restriction cats also, all in under $1000. It won't be an ML55, but it will show noticable improvement seat of the pants on power. Or better yet, do before and after dyno runs, and then you will know how much more power you have.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Haha you think so? Classic Alabama made ML
I take it your not a ml fan. Then sell it to someone who is. It is a poorly made mercedes in some ways and i'm sure will not be a must have collectable to some. But it will be collectable in years to come because its a mercedes.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just kidding around, I love my ML to death

I take it your not a ml fan. Then sell it to someone who is. It is a poorly made mercedes in some ways and i'm sure will not be a must have collectable to some. But it will be collectable in years to come because its a mercedes.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
@4wd430 - If I ran into you on a political site,

I'd say you were a troll. You trash our vehicles and ask us to help you. You can't make an ML into a slammed rice rocket; maybe you should get rid of the quality automobile and buy some shitbox with a fartcan that more suits your taste and intelligence.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Listen, what part of Im kidding do you not understand, I don't want to continue an argument but don't go insulting people when you don't have any knowledge of them. I am trying to be active in this community for the benefit of myself and others. You are the type of forum members that see one thing and take it completely out of context, a radical Benzworld member. If I thought the w163 was a shitbox, I would have sold it a while ago and picked up something with quality. But no, I still argue that the w163 is German Engineering even if it was made in Alabama, like any cars it has flaws but its a wonderful vehicle. Now I have an open mind, a "shitbox", may be what someone can afford, and there are people out there who love their "shitboxes" like we love our MLs. You may not realize that with your "superior intelligence." And a rice-rocket, don't make me laugh, do you know what a true ricer is, check my posts, I dont think I have ever made a post about my ML cosmetically, it has always been about performance. Performance that can make a difference does not equal rice. Get your definitions straight. However this was a post about the headers and lets keep it as such. I think they would require an ECU tune as well right?

I'd say you were a troll. You trash our vehicles and ask us to help you. You can't make an ML into a slammed rice rocket; maybe you should get rid of the quality automobile and buy some shitbox with a fartcan that more suits your taste and intelligence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts