Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
;) Ok, maybe .5 hp under perfect conditions, but I enjoy tinkering. The fact is, the airbox for the 500 motor sits right on top of a hot engine and while it's plastic, I'm sure there is still some heat sync effect that raises the temp of the air intake charge.

So, I picked up 2 18"X18" pieces of adhesive backed heat shielding made by Moose
Racing. It's designed to keep hot exhaust from melting plastic body work on off-road motorcycles, so it absolutely works. You can get it here:
MOOSE HEAT SHIELD 18"X18"

I made templates from standard 8.5"X11" paper and cut the pieces out with a decent pair of scissors. The material is fairly rigid, so it makes straight cuts pretty easy. Also, the adhesive is strong, so after cleaning the bottom of the airbox with some alcohol, it sticks like mad and it also forms to the surface with just a little finger pressure.

If you take your time, you'd never know it wasn't like that from the factory and installed on the car, you can't see it.

So, if you like to tinker and you think 45 bucks is a good trade for a half a hp, enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,261 Posts
I'm thinking of putting 10 heat shields on top of each other to get 5hp.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,261 Posts
I was greedy. I stacked 1000 heat shields to get extra 500hp but the hood could not be closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts