Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
It's a 600SEL grill. The grill was changed in 1994 to more chrome bars, when the car became known at the S600. And horsepower was shaved a wee-bit.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It hardly looks like a Mercedes at all.

Paint job courtesy of Baskin-Robbins.

Heading To Get My Pepto Bismol,

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
97 S320, Smoke Silver
Funny, too bad thats my signature pic. idk how to make it smaller. and that thing has a twin turbo on it.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz S320 SWB
274 Posts
Funny, too bad thats my signature pic. idk how to make it smaller. and that thing has a twin turbo on it.
Hi, Benznoob,

Sorry for the critical remark! Not my taste, but the paint quality does look top-notch, though.

Twin-turbo? God, would that be rough on the head and gasket, drivetrain components?

What's the HP?

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
97 S320, 87,200 miles, 227 hp, normally aspirated, rarely over 3,000 RPM...

·
Registered
none
44 Posts
This is STRANGE. I just called the guy before I found this thread, and as you can see I really just lurk here sometimes, I never post. I used to own a 88 560 coupe but I wrecked it a couple weeks ago. He seems like a really nice guy to talk too, and btw I'm in cincinnati too. Getting my insurance check for $6000 by Friday I hope.

Says it has a couple paint chips the size of nickels but no rust, A/C and heat work great and most of the interior stuff works. I didn't ask about the rear view mirror or anything because I didn't know about it.

Rear shock leaks, $500 bucks right there, says the check engine light is on, took it to a dealer and they said needs a tuneup but who knows if thats true? I have no idea about the ASR crap either, I didn't even know about it until a couple mins ago. Tune up wires would be $500 from autozone even, and 100 bucks for spark plugs too I bet. I'm getting it would be a PAIN in the butt to change them too, this isnt a 4 banger honda.

I'm going to go see it here soon, btw he is really asking $3750 firm, his sister made the add and messed up or something? I'm not sure. BTW he did say even with the check engine light on the car will go upwards of 150MPH and drives well.

My question is, lets say I get it for 3750, give it some plugs and wires for 600, is there a way to jerry rig anything? How about throwing two base model S series shocks on it and capping off the system? The auto level system is a joke anyway.

I'm really interested in this car and may end up buying it. Think it's worth it? I'm just worried I'll get to a dealership and they will say it will need a ton of other stuff besides just plugs and wires. Anyway to check the engine codes without a scanner? If it was ODB2 I could just it to autozone......but I don't guess it is.

Anyway help me out here? I'm still getting a boner about this car but not sure if want.....

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Ok, you're looking at this all wrong. Here's why:

First off, as has been repeated often on this forum: There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes. Know that going in.

And take it to a dealer. You'll get a list of what the car needs for a reasonable price. Use that as your blueprint. Some work you may need to do right away. Other repairs you may delay for when you have the time.

Refusing to take it to the dealer because you might learn what the car REALLY needs is like refusing to go to a doctor because you're afraid you might have cancer. You take it to the dealer and learn what the car needs.

If you're able to take the car to the dealer BEFORE you actually buy it, you can get a pre-purchase inspection done, then you have the blueprint in front of you and can make an informed decision as to buy or not.

But avoiding the dealer because you're afraid of what you might learn is just wrong. Better to know and be able to decide, than not knowing and finding out the hard way.

The issue with these cars is simple: Don't maintain them and prepare for cascading failures. Keep them up, and they're easy to care for. Granted, you have to get there, to the point that they're fully up-to-date, but once there, keeping them there is no-drama.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is STRANGE. I just called the guy before I found this thread, and as you can see I really just lurk here sometimes, I never post. I used to own a 88 560 coupe but I wrecked it a couple weeks ago. He seems like a really nice guy to talk too, and btw I'm in cincinnati too. Getting my insurance check for $6000 by Friday I hope.

Says it has a couple paint chips the size of nickels but no rust, A/C and heat work great and most of the interior stuff works. I didn't ask about the rear view mirror or anything because I didn't know about it.

Rear shock leaks, $500 bucks right there, says the check engine light is on, took it to a dealer and they said needs a tuneup but who knows if thats true? I have no idea about the ASR crap either, I didn't even know about it until a couple mins ago. Tune up wires would be $500 from autozone even, and 100 bucks for spark plugs too I bet. I'm getting it would be a PAIN in the butt to change them too, this isnt a 4 banger honda.

I'm going to go see it here soon, btw he is really asking $3750 firm, his sister made the add and messed up or something? I'm not sure. BTW he did say even with the check engine light on the car will go upwards of 150MPH and drives well.

My question is, lets say I get it for 3750, give it some plugs and wires for 600, is there a way to jerry rig anything? How about throwing two base model S series shocks on it and capping off the system? The auto level system is a joke anyway.

I'm really interested in this car and may end up buying it. Think it's worth it? I'm just worried I'll get to a dealership and they will say it will need a ton of other stuff besides just plugs and wires. Anyway to check the engine codes without a scanner? If it was ODB2 I could just it to autozone......but I don't guess it is.

Anyway help me out here? I'm still getting a boner about this car but not sure if want.....
It's priced like it has problems. never seen a 600sel that cheap with that mileage. i'd get a PPI to. there like $150. Definitely worth looking into. if it only has minor problems it's still a good deal.

·
Premium Member
1980 450SL; 1984 500SEC Euro; 1991 560 SEC
345 Posts
Benznoob I have been following you around lurking. It is funny I think we are on similar quests. I saw you on many of the threads as I began exploring the W126's.
I too saw this car and one in boulder priced similarly. I have decided after being shut out on the E320 listed here recently that I am focusing on the 560 preferably the coupe.
That being said I have emailed over 40 owners with cars for sale and called several more. I always mention that I will need a pre purchase inspection and have had responses from less than 5.
I am grateful for all of the knowledge to be gained here. Listen to these guys. BigJoe I lurked on this site for the six months it took me to find my 107, I started only knowing I wanted a convertible and was steered to the right year etc by the forum members. Then lurked through first 4 years of ownership until I registered. I have owned it now for eleven years and have only had to do some of the repairs that I was warned were coming. Shopping right saved me the thousands I now want to throw into a new adventure. Best of Luck to all on their search.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Benznoob I have been following you around lurking. It is funny I think we are on similar quests. I saw you on many of the threads as I began exploring the W126's.
I too saw this car and one in boulder priced similarly. I have decided after being shut out on the E320 listed here recently that I am focusing on the 560 preferably the coupe.
That being said I have emailed over 40 owners with cars for sale and called several more. I always mention that I will need a pre purchase inspection and have had responses from less than 5.
I am grateful for all of the knowledge to be gained here. Listen to these guys. BigJoe I lurked on this site for the six months it took me to find my 107, I started only knowing I wanted a convertible and was steered to the right year etc by the forum members. Then lurked through first 4 years of ownership until I registered. I have owned it now for eleven years and have only had to do some of the repairs that I was warned were coming. Shopping right saved me the thousands I now want to throw into a new adventure. Best of Luck to all on their search.
right now i want a g-wagon.there just so expensive. your going about the PPI the wrong way, you should only ask to have a PPI done in person once you know you want to buy it,after you've driven and inspected it. be ready to pay for the PPI too.

·
Registered
none
44 Posts
I just test drove it tonight. The car is pretty much 9/10 on exterior and interior. Very clean, maybe one blemish on the outside.

The biggest problem with the car is it seems to either have the ASR bullcrap or the Electronic Throttle Actuator, the shoddy wiring. SOMETHING is making it bog under wide open throttle. It will slowly get up to speed if you just 1/4 pedal it.

I just don't want to buy this car and end up having a $15,000 dealship bill to fix it. I donno what to do, I may end up buying it anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Here you go with the best advice possible:

Take the car to the dealership. Pay $250 for a diagnostic on the car, and you'll get that in writing.

Than, you'll know what you're dealing with. Provided by the people who would know.

Anything else and you're playing with yourself.

·
Registered
none
44 Posts
Here you go with the best advice possible:

Take the car to the dealership. Pay $250 for a diagnostic on the car, and you'll get that in writing.

Than, you'll know what you're dealing with. Provided by the people who would know.

Anything else and you're playing with yourself.
250 dollars for a scan? I don't know what dealership you're going to but that price is yakked up higher than the Himalayans. Mine charges 70 and yes its a benz dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Then you're only getting a partial review.

I'm not talking about sticking the OBD scanner in the thing and getting a reading.

I'm talking taking the wheels off and checking the brakes and suspension, checking the wiring harnesses, checking the engine and transmission mounts, the cats, pulling out the back seat and checking the air pump and computer modules, figure it's about 2-hours work at $125/hour for a guy just in off the street.

And you want it all in writing.

If you're already working with a dealer, have an established relationship with one, they should give you a PPI for FREE because it's new business for them. But if you're just Joe Shmoe, expect to pay and pay properly. It's the kind of thing you're going to base your GO/NO GO purchase on.

Don't cut corners on the advice there, Ace.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There should be an automatic disclosure every time Stryker says this that he is the only person in the world who thinks this.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
I just test drove it tonight. The car is pretty much 9/10 on exterior and interior. Very clean, maybe one blemish on the outside.

The biggest problem with the car is it seems to either have the ASR bullcrap or the Electronic Throttle Actuator, the shoddy wiring. SOMETHING is making it bog under wide open throttle. It will slowly get up to speed if you just 1/4 pedal it.

I just don't want to buy this car and end up having a $15,000 dealship bill to fix it. I donno what to do, I may end up buying it anyway.

pass on it.

there is 0 guarantee anybody can tell you exactly what is causing it just from a look over. it's once you dig in and start to (try) to fix things that you come aware of what you are in for.

car has obvious issues. asr is no joke on these

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
If you go back to inspect it again check out the wiring looms, if the loom is bad it will causes all sorts of symptoms which to the scanner will look like issues within various components. If the looms are soft then they're OK if they're hard they will be brittle and losing their insulation.

Beyond that, everything is fixable and there are lots of 2nd hand parts out there if you want to reduce your costs.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
To Deanyel: And isn't unique thought a bonus we all can bring to the forum?

I base my recommendations/suggestions not on theory, but on life's experience with my cars and what I would do given similar conditions as presented by the Newbies and Wannabes.

Most of them don't realize that it takes some expertise (either innate or purchased), and where you get that expertise, especially for those having no experience with the car type, makes a huge difference in the experience.

·
Registered
VW CC & Wifeys 2003 SLK320
200 Posts
Another find on CL, it's either VERY well maintained or the price is jacked $15k for the previous owner history.

1993 Mercedes S600

1 - 20 of 32 Posts