Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 sl 500 launch edition
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered the CTEK Multi US 3300 12V Smart Battery Charger by CTEK Power for $59.95 from amazon and i'm still waiting on delivery of the car. local tech and this board both seem to think i need to charge the Convience battery in the trunk if am not going to be driving on a regular basis.
i've read alot of posts, but still not exactly sure...
can i leave the battery still hooked up while charging or do i need to disconnect it?
do i just hook the alligator clips to the pos then the neg terminals of the battery?
if i have to disconnect it, will i have to reset any codes?
if i can i leave it in the trunk, will the trunk shut or at least lower enough to keep the light from coming on (is there a light in the trunk?) no worries about gasses?
will this charge the front battery too or will i need to swap over and charge it too? i know this is just the starter battery and it should stay charged for a while.
can i just leave it hooked up for a while or should i just charge for a short time and then charge again later?
i will also be using this on my 69 camaro so no problem moving it around. thanks.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
69 Posts
Zowee!...... If that is just one sentence, then ..... here's MY reply.

1. Attach the charger/maintainer to the rear battery only. Front battery will be fine.

2. You can leave the charger/maintainer on for months without any damage. (This ONLY is true for a unit that can sense when the battery is fully charged and shifts into the "trickle charge" mode.)

3. Leave the main body of the charging unit outside the trunk and run just the charging leads inside the trunk.

4. Leave the battery hooked up. Attach the clips to both terminals.

5. Lower the trunk lid to turn off the light. No need to latch it unless you're bothered by critters.

6. MOST IMPORTANT.... Do something to remind you that the car is connected by a wire to the garage.... Dont find yourself late for work, sprint into the garage.. (You DO park it in sealed, temperature controlled garage, don't you?), and tear-ass off to work, only to hear a sound that screams.."Oh, Phoeuck!!!!"

I modified my hook-up with one of these. I put terminal ends on the wire ends, attached them to the battery poles, and let the molded end protrude about a foot outside the carpet.(I used the upper plug in the photo below to attach to the battery, and the lower one spliced onto the charger leads.)

If YOU go this route, MAKE SURE that the battery positive lead is the one that is the covered wire (The RED wire on the upper plug. Use the RED wire on the lower plug as the POSITIVE lead coming from your charger)......... Easy-peasy....

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
942 Posts
Battery Tender

This is in my 05. You can leave the trunk open if you wish in mine because the lights turn off after a few minutes. Don't forget to use the clip under the cover to hold the lid open.
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts