Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Peter Guenther recommended that I posted this here, rather than the general forum. Hope you can help me..

My wife has a ML550 that's still under factory warranty. I took it in to have it checked for a very slight oil leak and the smell of burnt oil in the garage after parking it (Btw, this didn't start happening until after they did some recall work on "plugs" that were known to leak). Anyway, my wife took the car in and they told her that there was a very serious problem with the rear shock. The dealer rep calls me and says that they can't find the oil leakage or origin of burning oil, BUT the rear left shock has a leaky seal and needs to be replaced, as well as the right rear one. My question is, should this be covered under MB warranty?

Thanks so much if u can suggest anything for me.

Regards,

Kurt

·
Registered
2004 ML350, 1999 C230K, 1991 300SEL
502 Posts
Depending on the year of your 550 I would suggest posting on the w164 or w166 forums because this forum covers the W163 ML (98-05).

My suggestion would be to ask whether it will be covered under warranty or not. I would imagine so but if not you could look at independent shops that may be able to do it cheaper, if there is any problem at all. They should cover it but if not get a second opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on the year of your 550 I would suggest posting on the w164 or w166 forums because this forum covers the W163 ML (98-05).

My suggestion would be to ask whether it will be covered under warranty or not. I would imagine so but if not you could look at independent shops that may be able to do it cheaper, if there is any problem at all. They should cover it but if not get a second opinion.
Hi Benzito- It is an '08. Sorry about that! I already had the work done unfortunately, but my wife said the ride was off. (the car!! :)
Regards,

K

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
Hi Benzito- It is an '08. Sorry about that! I already had the work done unfortunately, but my wife said the ride was off. (the car!! :)
Regards,

K
Go to the W164 part of the board. Post mileage. Ask if shocks covered under warranty. Determine by mileage and/or years in service if you are under warranty. If so, talk to the general service manager, then dealer owner/principal if necessary. If under warranty, I suspect any half way decent dealership will refund and just give you "it was an honest mistake" line.

I have a hard time believing both shocks turned out bad. I think I replaced all 4 shocks on my W163 for about that much money. Time to question the dealer is BEFORE the work is done, not after.

If out of warranty, I would search for a good independent MB mechanic. With few exceptions, dealer mechanics are not as competent as a good independent and generally charge significantly less.

And because they are independent business men and women, they want you to return, so they take more effort in satisfying you.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to the W164 part of the board. Post mileage. Ask if shocks covered under warranty. Determine by mileage and/or years in service if you are under warranty. If so, talk to the general service manager, then dealer owner/principal if necessary. If under warranty, I suspect any half way decent dealership will refund and just give you "it was an honest mistake" line.

I have a hard time believing both shocks turned out bad. I think I replaced all 4 shocks on my W163 for about that much money. Time to question the dealer is BEFORE the work is done, not after.

If out of warranty, I would search for a good independent MB mechanic. With few exceptions, dealer mechanics are not as competent as a good independent and generally charge significantly less.

And because they are independent business men and women, they want you to return, so they take more effort in satisfying you.

Regards,
Jerry
Thank you very much, Jerry! I was under time-related pressure at the time and just had them do it, but I will do what u recommend. I appreciate your input so very much. Thanks and have a great one!

Kurt

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
Purchased my ML about a month ago, has about 1500 miles left on the warranty after 3,000 miles of road trips, two days of 500 miles each, two days of 725 miles each, several 200 mile days later I'm convinced the shocks are shot. Makes me appreciate the ride of my Prius which has MORE miles. The ML is excellent until it hits a pothole. Then it often lands pointing a different direction. Oh, and the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the shocks ...

Spent some time studying the warranty brochure and concluded most of the suspension is categorized as routine wear items and not covered after the initial 12 months.

Bilstein makes 2 different models for the ML, a B4 "comfort" series and a 4600 "HD" series. Seems the B4 is the original equipment, but 4600 is what Bilstein thinks most would prefer. I think a set of 4600's is in my near future. Online a set of 4 range in price from $760 to $870, with a few having the gall to demand full MSRP of about $300 each.

Something I've not yet researched is the cost to have these installed. When I find some time will subscribe to the StarTech (or whatever its called) site and peruse the service manuals to see what is involved. Put shocks on my Porsche 928S, VW Golf, and other coil-over systems before. Perhaps I'll do it again.

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
I believe shocks are covered under factory warranty. You will have to pull the warranty booklet to be sure. As a reference, I had my rear shocks replaced due to on leaking on my 2006 E320 that was under CPO warranty. I find it hard to believe the CPO is going to cover more than the factory warranty is going to cover. I would open a case with MBUSA. Typically a leaky shock is a defect, and not just an issue of wearing out. If over 50k miles then both are typically replaced.

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
The laws of every land do vary.

But if my shocks failed in the warranty period, I would throw the warranty book away and say ACCC (Consumer Affairs for those off shore).

The dealer would then gladly replace it under warranty.:surrender:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank u Gentlemen very much! I appreciate your input and support in this matter. I'm going to take it up with the SM, and then the owner/principal after reviewing the warranty again. The car only has 26,000 miles and is a 2008. Its still new! :) Best Regards,

K

·
Registered
2001 ML430( gone but not forgotten), 2003 Porsche C4S, 2006 9-5 Aero, 2007 ML 350
30 Posts
Wow, thanks Pharaoh Zone. Good to know...much appreciated!! :)
Ditto,

My wife's 2007 had a leaky shock while in warranty and dealer replaced both as that is the recommendation from Mercedes that if one is bad the dealer should replace both at the same time per Service advisor.

Definitely a warranty item if car is still under factory or extended warranty.

Demosan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Silly-ass me. I had a 4 year warranty!!! :p Sorry guys!! For some reason I thought it was 5 year warranty. Thanks for all of your support regardless! Duh!!!!

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
Silly-ass me. I had a 4 year warranty!!! :p Sorry guys!! For some reason I thought it was 5 year warranty. Thanks for all of your support regardless! Duh!!!!

Still, I would call MBUSA, you might be able to determine they were leaking prior to warranty expiring. Or at least a "goodwill" gesture. How many months were you out of warranty?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts