Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I attempted to change out the front rotors and I can;t figure it out. Does anyoen have a step by step guide or a link to another post (I did try searching) that coudl help me out. Thanxs.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,701 Posts
Money,

This is a simple to do as it gets. What have you "tried" to do so far?

Jayare

·
Registered
1989 300E
19 Posts
???????????????????

Step 1 - Break lugs
Step 2 - Jack car up untill tire off ground
Step 3 - Remove lug nuts
Step 4 - Remove tire
Step 5 - Look behind the caliper you will see two bolts I think 10mm - Remove them and the caliper will come off
Step 6 - Remove Rotor (It should just about fall off at this point)
Step 7 - Put new rotor on, be sure to line up all the holes on the rotor with the ones on the housing plate
Step 8 - Balance tire in front of rotor and screw in the lugs
Step 9 - IMPORTANT - Make sure you hold the tire firmly on the rotor as you tighten the lugs as you can get it a bit off center
Step 10 - lower the car
Step 11 - Tighten the lugs

I hope this helps you, remember that although your just starting out working on cars, we all started somewhere but you should buy the shop manual on this car becasue it will have photos and step by step instructions for everything!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes (This should take you about 25min to do)

Brian McMullin

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Brian got it about 95% right. The bolts that hold the calipers to the knuckles are 13mm head. Also, there's an Allen screw (5 or 6 mm) that holds the rotor to the hub. It's there to keep the rotor from falling off after caliper removal so don't omit it.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,785 Posts
Many people forget the small 5-6 mm hex head screw holding the rotor to the hub. Also, many times the rotors have a little rust corrosion between the hub and rotor that may require a little "assistance" to break free. Once the calipers and hex screw are removed, the rotors should come off - but the corrosion may require a little beating from behind to break.

Also, you may need to remove the pads before the rotors, depending on how new the pads are. Well, if you are changing the rotors, you really, really need to change the pads, so remove them before the calipers. Don't let the calipers hang from the brake line - use a coat hanger or piece of wire.

Al

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changing front rotors

You should really get a manual of some sort, as it will tell you what the torque specs are for reinstalling the caliper bolts, you should use Loctite , and you should clean all the rust and corrosion off the hub after removing the rotors and apply a very light coat of rust inhibitor(WD40?) prior to reinstalling the rotors (don't get any on the rotor!!!). I had to use rather forceful blows to loosen my rotors....I used a heavy composition inertia "dead blow" type hammer, and had to hit at least a dozen times, front and back to loosen them.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
WD40 will wash off or may burn off. I use Permatex 81343 Anti-Seize Lubricant between the rotor and the hub to prevent them from bonding again.

·
Registered
'89 E300, '06 B200, '15 VW Tiguan
377 Posts
Step 1 - Break lugs
Step 2 - Jack car up untill tire off ground
Step 3 - Remove lug nuts
Step 4 - Remove tire
Step 5 - Look behind the caliper you will see two bolts I think 10mm - Remove them and the caliper will come off
Step 6 - Remove Rotor (It should just about fall off at this point)
Step 7 - Put new rotor on, be sure to line up all the holes on the rotor with the ones on the housing plate
Step 8 - Balance tire in front of rotor and screw in the lugs
Step 9 - IMPORTANT - Make sure you hold the tire firmly on the rotor as you tighten the lugs as you can get it a bit off center
Step 10 - lower the car
Step 11 - Tighten the lugs

I hope this helps you, remember that although your just starting out working on cars, we all started somewhere but you should buy the shop manual on this car becasue it will have photos and step by step instructions for everything!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes (This should take you about 25min to do)

Brian McMullin
one important mistake here.... the caliper (not just the floating part of it) is held on to the knuckle with 19 mm bolts that can be hard to get off. The 13mm bolts simply hold on the floating part of caliper and the rotor will not slip off with just the floating part removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts