Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

now I am keeping my SL over the winter period, the following question popped up in to my head, how hard is it to change the wings on a Mercedes SL?

I have a slight bit of bubbling coming through on the front wing, it looks as if it has been treated before, so in order to do the job correctly I may need to replace the wings.

Any help would be great such as is it possible to get new wings not from a dealer??

Cheers guys!

Matt

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
You can get wings from other sources for a fraction of the price but most are not that good a quality.
Some of the body shops I know won't use them because of the fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Shaun,

do you have an idea how much they are from a dealers? from Dronsfields they are about £120-50.

Matt

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I just tried this place for genuine new ones but it doesn't always give the correct part/price.
They come up as £117 which is fantastic.
PM me your VIN if you don't want to put it on here ( up to you) and I can get the correct part# to type into the site.
Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Shaun,

that's a great help! the car is in the garage having the roof fixed and the brakes bleeded for winter.

I will get them to fire over a the VIN No, I pressume this is in the engine bay?

Have you ever changed the wings at all on an SL? I have forgot if they are bolted in (inside the engine bay)

KR,

Matt

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
It's on your log book and MOT, you'll have to ask someone else about remove/replace I'm afraid.
If with the correct VIN they are around that price I wouldn't even bother looking for pattern wings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both of those docs are at the garage within the car, I'll give them a call.

The car is at M&D motocare (Merc Spec) great guys!

Exactly, buy cheap buy twice! she'll be getting what god intended.

Cheers Shaun!

·
10,293 Posts
If you would be so kind, what is the American equivalent for the English "wing"?
I am assuming Fenders?

it been years since the last time I ve heard the Arabic equivelant to wing in reference to fender...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I am assuming Fenders?

it been years since the last time I ve heard the Arabic equivelant to wing in reference to fender...
The French have been calling fenders "wings" (ailes), ever since the first production run of the Panhard & Lavassor in the late 1800's, so either/or, you can't go wrong.

On the other hand, if you start mentioning "bonnets" and "boots" to a non-initiated American audience, it might take you a little longer to get your message through.

Jack

·
10,293 Posts
The French have been calling fenders "wings" (ailes), ever since the first production run of the Panhard & Lavassor in the late 1800's, so either/or, you can't go wrong.

On the other hand, if you start mentioning "bonnets" and "boots" to a non-initiated American audience, it might take you a little longer to get your message through.

Jack
Yep, many Arabic automotive parts names and terminology are directly derived from French, particularly in Syria and Lebanon, which were occupied by France in the turn of last century; during the dawn of the industry...

Some of these words were transferred literally, and written with arabic letters, like دبرياج debrayage/embrayage for clutch, and امرتصور amortisseur for shock...

Some other words got translated to its equivalent Arabic word, such as wing -Jnah جناح - for fender...

Looking deep in the source of words make the humanity feel very united BTW...

·
10,293 Posts
I am sorry for hijacking the post...

to answer the original question, the fender is taken off:

-take the blinker off, then remove the bolts holding the head light to the fender.

-remove the trim under the headlight.

-remove all the bolts under the hood

- remove 2 or 3 bolts behind the door

- lower the bumper bracket, and remove 2 bolts under the lower front lip of the fender.

-remove the brake cooling vent tim, and remove 2 -3 bolts there as well

-make sure nothing is still attached to the fender in the wheel well area

-lift up and carefully remove the fender...

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Just to add one more to the list.
In Greek it is also called a wing.

Fender/wing, then I started thinking.

It didn't down on me.... until I translated it. Haha.
(Sometimes is slow.) ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What an interesting post this turned in to!

Cheers for the info guys, I just need to find my VIN for Shaun now.

Thanks,

Matt!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts