Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to top up the gearbox oil?

I suspect I've had a leak for some time now and the gearchanges are beginning to slip a little. I just need to top it up to the next service (about 3500 miles away) or until I can find a decent independent shop to do it - so would appreciate any advice you may have on the matter.

Thanks in advance guys. Finding this forum has certainly made owning a Merc easier (and I've only been reading the articles for a couple of days!!!) :)

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
You need the special tool/dipdtick to check the fluid level.

Len

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obvious question alert?

Where do I get one from? I have used Euro Car Parts previously and there is one near me. Any idea what is the tool called? or is it easier just to ask for the "gearbox dipstick tool" and see what they give me?

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

I found a decent independent Mercedes shop, he refilled the oil, replaced a seal - a mod I think he called it - apparently this is a common fault!! Car now runs absolutely excellent!!! Thanks for the link sokoloff, but it was from an American seller and I couldn't find one in Europe (I'm in the U.K). Still at £90 for all of the above, I.m happy to go to him again, particularly as he has diagnosed my EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch) while I was there.

Mercedes enthusiasts to a man with around 70 years experience between the three main guys. Apart from the EIS which has to be dealer ordered\fitted, I don't think I'm ever going to a stealership again!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts