Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've started to think about replacing the star on my SEL grill to a flat MB badge. Does anyone know is it possible and if it is, what parts should I use to do that?

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
I have a nice flat AMG replica badge (designed for the W126 grille) on mine that is a straight swap once the complete factory star set-up is removed.
It drops into the hole and is fastened by clamp and wing-nut from underneath.
Too tempting for idiots break off the factory star for a trophy if the SEL is left parked in a public place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a nice flat AMG replica badge (designed for the W126 grille) on mine that is a straight swap once the complete factory star set-up is removed.
It drops into the hole and is fastened by clamp and wing-nut from underneath.
Too tempting for idiots break off the factory star for a trophy if the SEL is left parked in a public place.
I was counting on your answer :wink Do you have any part numbers or a source where can I get such badge? Maybe you have photos with close-ups of the badge or the mount underneath - they will surely help me to decide to "go" or "not go" for it.

Like this?
Yup... kinda sort of like this :grin

But.......... how do you aim the car down the road without the star :confused:
It's gonna be a tough challenge but I still want to try :wink The spring on my star isn't holding it tight enough, so at higher road speeds (starting from about 100 km/h) star leans back or in some cases nearly "lies down" on the hood :crying It doesn't look nice, and I have enough of putting it in upright position every time I stop after a faster drive...

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
SEC's have flat badges instead of the "gun sight", don't know how they attach but probably similar to Kim's AMG badge

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
The SEC badge is a 107 p/n and is metal. It has a pin on it with a grommet thru an indent in the hood and a hole

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
No its not an SEC badge -
Its a high quality replica AMG badge of correct size with a single metal shaft with thread on the end & clamp & wingnut arrangement underneath specific for fitting to these grills.
Its very well made (much better quality than the factory Merc badge below it)

I bought it some years ago off ebay (like +5yrs ago) and can't remember who was selling them but if i recall it was out of Europe somewhere.
At the time i was seeking a replacement badge for the SEC and did not realize they are a totally different set-up with their pins underneath but when i bought the SEL i realized they were made for their grills as a replacement for the Star
Pic below

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You very much Kim :) Your help is invaluable. I'll be ordering one of those badges from ebay soon, I hope that it will look as good as Your's :) ( or maybe even better ;) )

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
I changed out my 107 flat hood badge for a newer sleeker one. I think from a 129. I had to mod it a little, and glue it on, but it looks MUCH better! It's the same kind as on my 216 now...

·
SuperModerator
13,293 Posts
Normally I prefer the upright star but that looks great. Whats happened to the little forward facing badge on the grille under where the upright star would be?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Normally I prefer the upright star but that looks great. Whats happened to the little forward facing badge on the grille under where the upright star would be?
Because the flat badge has the exactly same pattern on it as the forward facing aluminum casted badge, I didn't wanted to give the car too heavy look, you know what I mean - too many stars in one place is a bad thing (unless we are talking about different MB models on one parking lot ;) ).

I would call this the "temporary" look. When - in some time - I'll put an AMG styling package on the car - the forward facing aluminum badge will be back on its place, and flat badge will be changed for AMG one ;)

Of course, it was another purpose for removing the forward facing badge - it was damaged, and sticked with glue to silver grille frame... I've replaced it with inox bolt, which was handly fitted to this place :wink

1 - 17 of 17 Posts