Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300e 2.6
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this job? What all needs done for me to get to the condensor and replace it?

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
It's located behind the center dash wood...kinda. If you remove the blower motor above the left footwell you can stick your hand into the floor vent and reach back and feel the condensor. To remove it, I believe you have to remove the whole center console and most of the dash. Just to remove the center wood you have to pull out the ashtray and remove the coin tray. Then you can lift up the wood around the shifter. Then you'll have to pull the radio to get out the center dash piece around the climate control. The climate control is held in by a few bolts. I've never gotten further than that. From what I can tell it's just a sh't load of wires.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,260 Posts
Dustin, I think you've got the evaporator and condensor swapped around. I haven't pulled a condensor the "right" way. I yanked one out of my way to pull a 617 engine once.

I just pulled a like new Behr radiator out of a car four days ago. Drain the radiator from underneath with the drain plug located on the radiator pin on the passenger's side of the radiator. It's the pin/plug that fits into the mount of the radiator support and will have an X shaped groove, and it might be colored blue. Remove the top hose and the reservoir hose. Unclip the fan shroud after you remove the fan/clutch then slide the shroud out. Use two wrenches to remove the tranny cooler hoses from the bottom and then the lower hose. Unclip the radiator and slid it up and out. About 10-15 minutes to do.

Looking at my condensor you should then be able to remove the hoses and the top clips and tilt it out the rear. Don't take that as gospel though.

After reading your post again, if your going to break into an AC system you might as well flush the system and replace the receiver/dryer, expansion device, and replace o-rings where you open a connection. It will take some crow foot wrenches to get the expansion valve but it wasn't that big a deal when I did my 300sd. After you've replaced the componants and compressor oil, you can take it to a shop to draw a vacuum on it to leak check it and reservice it freon.

·
Registered
1990 300e 2.6
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes,
The condensor is the smaller radiator looking thing in front of the actual radiator right at the front of the vehicle. Looks like I need to drain the radiator to do this, was hoping there was a way around that. Is it frowned upon to reuse the fluid?

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Nothing wrong with reusing your coolant if it is fairly fresh and nice yellow color. Use a small clean plastic bucket to catch the coolant when it drains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts