Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to replace compressor and getting the parts together for a buddy to do the work who has the ac stuff. when i get the compressor, should i also get a new exchange valve and drier to be replaced or is this not necessary? Thanks. BT

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,273 Posts
My A/C buddy Danny would also recommend an evacuation of the system, to also purge all moisture, and to make sure it holds the vacuum over time. Makes re charging easier too.

I recently talked to a W126 guy who had leaky A/C o-rings without having the correct ones handy.
He told me he used the same size green injector holder rings. That was 3 years ago, and according to him, there is still no leak.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Always change the orings out as mentioned above. Is your system still R12 or converted to 134a?

If the system has been opened one Should replace the drier. It plays a Large part in keeping the internals of your AC system sound.

When you say exchange are you speaking of the expansion valve? They are a PITA to replace but if the system is going to be converted then yes, it's wise to change the expansion valve and Flush the system Thoroughly!

Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad, I meant expansion valve. I found it under the drivers side access panel to the dash. I was not planning on converting but some of the folks i have talked to said its automatic: If you change the regualtor, gotta change drier and exchange valve or the regulator will go down. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I took the approach that it's a 25yo system. I flushed then replaced the hoses, expansion valve, dryer, compressor, and new rings at each connection. I'll probably replace the evaporator during the dash change along with the vacumm actuators. I'm looking at doing a parallel flow condensor on the SD since I went 134a on it. Not recommended for good reason and I hope the new condensor will make it work better. I'm saving my stash of r12 for the SEL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will be going away from r12 due to availability. will replace compressor, dryer, evaporator valve and orings. flush, etc.

My bud recommends against a rebuilt one but i am still open minded. Any thoughts as to what brand, new or rebuilt, and an online or local (advance auto) vendor to purchase from price being a consideration. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts