Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to change my TT for an SL55.

Have a look at my post on a Porsche forum and the response.

Looks like I hit a nerve!!!

http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=996T&Number=28595&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
I tend to agree with them.

Porsche has never made a Grand Tourer, which the SL is. The...

I tend to agree with them.

Porsche has never made a Grand Tourer, which the SL is. They have made out of the box sports cars.

Both are great cars and I would, if I could, own the SL over the 996TT for the simple fact that I can't race it all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeez!

Talk about sensitive. I understand dedication to a brand, but they don't have to...

Jeez!

Talk about sensitive. I understand dedication to a brand, but they don't have to be offensive about it.

I've owned cars from most of the manufacturers and I pick a car based on the best choice for what I want, regardless of who makes it.

By the way, In my opinion, you made the right choice. Good luck with the purchase; I seriously doubt you'll be selling it anytime soon.

JB

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Hmm

Wow, people are so damn sensative about their porsche. I did not like the way people answered you back, that was rude.

But that does not mean that i agree with you. You are very wrong. You are comparing wrong cars. Porsche Vs. Rolls Royce Vs. sl55? Something is wrong in this picture.

If you really had a porsche product, you would have realized that porsche cars are meant for driving. These are different genera or category of vehicles. An sl55 is a top class mercedes but its basically a mass-produced vehicle. A car you can expect in about every 5th house in a wealthy chicago neighborhood to have. Porsche on the other hand carries a heritage that mercedes just dont have. Dont take me wrong, iam a huge Diamler-Benz fan (not Daimler-Chrysler).

[}:)]

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper S
408 Posts
I do agree with those forum members. Porsche is a pure sports car. You could not compare...

I do agree with those forum members. Porsche is a pure sports car. You could not compare merc with porsche. Their targeted market is different. I have had 2 porsches before, a 993 cab and a 964 3.6 turbo.. i had alot of problems with my 993.. most electronics.. but they are both great rides.

·
Registered
2009 CLS
70 Posts
Im gonna be the nice guy and say go for the SL. Its obvious ur comparing costs, not cars,...

Im gonna be the nice guy and say go for the SL. Its obvious ur comparing costs, not cars, and if u like the way the SL looks and drives then get it. Its a totally different car and in my opinion it would serve all my needs. You get into a porsche tt and its like your ready for lemans. The car is not designed for comfort at all, but thats what you expect out of a 0-60 in 3.7 second touring sports car beast. Just my 2 cents on the topic, this poor guy is being critized by forum members everywhere lol

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Re: Hmm

A car you can expect in about every 5th house in a wealthy chicago neighborhood to have.
On the other hand, everyone and their dog has a Porsche in Geneva...

Porsche ain't my kind of car, even though it is he11a fun to drive.

Merc all the way ^_^

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,662 Posts
Well a Porsche is for the track and a SL is for the REAL world.

If you do not track at least 10% of the time then you do not need to be punished by the jarring ride, rattles, and poor driving position. Not to mention poor reliability in the long haul.
Remember mercedes is engineered by daimler/benz and porsche gets all its basic engineering from volkswagen/audi. That should tell you everything right there.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
HEY I just trade in my 2003 SRT Viper for a Brabus SL 500. I couldn't be happier after 48...

HEY I just trade in my 2003 SRT Viper for a Brabus SL 500. I couldn't be happier after 48 hours of ownership. I've had many friends with Porsches and I consider them very similar to having the "VIper" expierence. If speed and handling are the only needs. You can't go wrong with either, but the SL gives you the best of all worlds in a "sports" car that you're not going to take to the track.

I love Porsches, although I'd never want to own one. I love Vettes, Vipers, NSX's, owned a few and so on.

The SL is to me...all of those cars in one, with the luxury and beauty of MB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RE: Hmm

For your info, SL 55 is a complete hand build, limited production car. Each car is hand build with AMG technecian signiture on the engine. Only 2000 build each year. On the other hand, Porsche TT has a much higher production number (no limit). Please do not mix AMG SL 55 with other Mercedes. For detail please refer to the SL brochure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RE: Changing My 996 TT for an SL55 & Upset a Porsche Forum...

Here'a my solution to your situation:

Most people who can afford these cars do not stretch themselves to the point where they can barely afford it. So why not get the best of both worlds?

Buy a Porsche GT2 for $100K and buy the SL500 for $90K. $190K for two excellent cars compared to $120K for one.[:D]

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LM
237 Posts
RE: Changing My 996 TT for an SL55 & Upset a Porsche Forum...

All said and done if you read the Porsche board posting they were rude as HELL ... thats totally not cool ![xx(]

VH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts