Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ML 270 cdi and E270cdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ML 270cdi (2000) has 17" rims with 275/55 R17 Tyre on them. These tyre are very expensive in Australia and hard to source in remote outback areas where I travel. (If I need a tyre I may have to wait days for a delivery from 1000s of kilometres away). Can I put 16" wheels and put the 225/75 R16 or 255/65 R16 Tyres on. These sizes are cheaper and more available in Australian remote areas?

·
Registered
03 ML350
245 Posts
Depends on your brakes. 16" rims will work with the small rotors. The question you need to ask is what size brakes were installed on diesels. Can't help you there.

I'd go with the larger 255s. Depending on the tire, you can probably run up to a 70 or 75 series if you want. 225 is a pretty skimpy tire for an ML and the stock rim width is 8" - too much for a 225.

·
Registered
ML 270 cdi and E270cdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that info...I'll check out the brake size. What about this thing called "offset" I hear people talking about?

The 225/75 R16 tyre I refered to are the standards for the 6.5 Inch ML rims. The 8 inch rims take 255/65 R16.

I have noticed that the 275 width tyres are not good on rough rutted road as they "track" in ruts or "climb" up the side of ruts dragging the vehicle sideways in an alarming way. Bush experiecne with Land Cruisers (wash my mouth out!) is that standard to narrow tyres work best on rough rutted roads. Wide tyres are great for charging about on sand dunes, but cause control problems as surfaces change on outback roads.

I also am looking at more readily available 17" tyres such as 275/65 R17, but need to get a tyre expert to calculate how that might effect my speedo. Could a slightly larger tyre cause any problems with the transmision or on board computers?

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,466 Posts
Thanks for that info...I'll check out the brake size. What about this thing called "offset" I hear people talking about?

The 225/75 R16 tyre I refered to are the standards for the 6.5 Inch ML rims. The 8 inch rims take 255/65 R16.

Though offset affects wheel/tire combination, it's a wheel design variable. It basically tells you how far in/out (towards suspension hardware or towards the fenders) your tire/wheel package will be. It's defined as the distance between the center plane of your wheel and the mounting surface of the wheel hub. Since the mounting surface is fixed, for same tire width, if that distance increases, you move towards the fender. If it decreases, you move towards suspension hardware. However, since you're going OEM, it will may not matter because it seems like MB made the MLs to work with practically all the W163 OEM wheels available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey newman, i have a set of standard 16inch for my ML320, and if you like i can swap with u, and pay u extra for ur 17inch, cos ive been looking around to upsize my rims.. :)

·
Registered
Sprinter 312 4x4, 316 4x4, 316 4x2, 316 4x4, ML270
27 Posts
Tyres.

P newman.
Fellow Ausie, I run the same size as a nissan patrol, more clearance and easy to get size. The speedo is out by 10% but the speedo is set 5%high in the factory so the true speed is 5% low ,That is when driving at 100 the speedo reads 95. The size is 265/70/R17. Just for the record I run Michelans and carry a repair kit and 12Volt compressor because the spare is useless for that size. If you are not happy about useing tyre plugs you can get the same size in Silent Armour tyres they ride a lot rougher than Michalens but are very resistant to punctures. Eric.

·
Registered
ML 270 cdi and E270cdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyre / Wheel changing on ML

To Littlebobdog: Thanks for the offer of changing the wheels....MB tell me you can change from 16" to 17" but I can't change down due to the offset being difference in my ML. Sorry I can't help...changing wheels was my first preference.

To: Eric Dodge; Thanks for your info. I have followed up this line with my local tyre dealer who has now sourced a suitable set of bigger tyres similar to yours at a good price......(Nissan and Prado size) with only a small change in speedo reading.
Out of interest.....Have you had any issues with the transmission or onboard computer when running bigger tyres? Do you find the Transmission changes down more often when going up hills on the highway due to the lower revs in top gear? (I had a work 200 series Lnadcriaser that did this when larger tyres were put on it.)

Peter N

·
Registered
Sprinter 312 4x4, 316 4x4, 316 4x2, 316 4x4, ML270
27 Posts
Peter.
No problems with shifts or anything else. The trip computer is out by 10% that is it reads 10 litres/100k when you are getting 9. Eric.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts