Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'89 190E
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i go about changing the lights in my dash (behind the climate controls, and shifter really).

and do i just pick up some lights from an autozone type place?

·
Registered
Mercedes
413 Posts
You need to get the right rating bulbs, it will be written on the current ones. The shifter is pretty easy. Carefully pop the wooden surround off. use a flat blade screw driver but be careful as if you slip it makes a mess! The bulbs are inthe switches I think and you can pop them open but do over a container as theres a little spring in them (might be two actually) and they go everywhere. Its easy to work out how they go back togethe if you have the bits!! The actual shifter i think is a bulb thats in a holder and very obvious on the edge closest to the front of the car. OR on my 190 with a SPORT Economy switch theres like a flat panel that i think connects to a bulb somwhere.

Behind the heater knobs is easy just put a cloth over the knob then pull them out with some long nosed pliers and change the bulbs. Behind the instrument panel you just click the little bulb holders out and put in new bulbs aswell. Not actually done it yet but i had all the dashboard in bits and seem to remember seeing them.

·
Registered
'89 190E
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.

by the way, i have and '89, so i have no dials to "pull" off.

for the shifter and other little lights though, can i buy at a regular auto parts store?

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the climate controls you may need to access/remove the controls. Easy to do, first remove the panel. There are good write ups but if I recall you need to take the ashtray out, then take the screw holding the panel behind the ashtray, take out the center vents, take out the screws "under" the center vents, the might be a few other screws I’ve forgotten about, gently pry off the panel, do not break it, they are expensive to replace. Now you have access to the controls. I’ve replaced the lights on the fan switch-There is a small bulb that fits into the switch, unplug the light receptacle, take out the light go to auto-store and replace. I guess the heater controls probably have a small bulb or two in a similar fashion.

The center shift console is done as previously described- quite easy, just look on carefully on the “engine” side if I remember correctly for a small wire and bulb/ receptacle. The bulb receptacle just plugs in/out.

For dash lights, remove the instrument panel - lots of good write ups on how. In a nutshell access the speedo cable from underneath and unscrew, might need to remove the flex cross-heater hose, this is the worst part of the job for me, some people say they can unscrew the cable from the engine side but I couldn’t se where- (do not take instrument panel out without unscrewing speed cable firs or you will stretch it and I’m told, cause the speedometer needle to become “jumpy”), then gently pry out instrument panel- they are made to pry out. Some people make little tools for prying it out, I used a screwdriver and cloth and did it very carefully to not mar finish. Lights are in receptacles on back of dash. Foudn all the lights I needed at the auto store. Tried the red lights for better night vision but they were too dark and I didn’t like the look

1 - 5 of 5 Posts