Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a thread stating how to change the headlights, particularly the inside headlight on a 2006 CLS 500 any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I know this is very old but I need to bump it up for a question that I have. I just bought a little better low beam bulb, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra to be exact (anything a little less yellow will do), and I want to replace them sometime today or sometime soon at least. Reading the Operating Manual I see that it says not to do this yourself due to high voltage inside the unit, but to take it in to one of their qualified Tech's instead. But honestly that's just going to be a bill that I would rather skip. I guess my question is, is it safe to do this switch as long as I turn the lamps to '0' (the OFF position)? I'm not going to get the crap shocked outta me am I? lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have worked two hours one night, and 1 hour tonight,
at getting the HID bulb holder back in my '06 CLS 500.
I was a Tool and Die Maker for 44 years,
and am not unfamiliar with critical alignments - but this is unreal.
All the help videos and posts I have seen so far are useless.
Low beam bulb is down a foot inside, and back in 6 inches;
you have to stand on your head to get in there.
Would be an easy job if you could take headlight out
and hold it, so you could actually see what you are doing.

So, any chance someone on here can tell me exactly how this should work??
Between 2011 and now no one has asked about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
again, thank you all.

Please understand that I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but - this is all of no help to me at all.
I do See the diagrams.
I do already have wire off, and I get it - the wire goes on after you get the bulb seated.
I am using a mirror, and a bore-scope, also.
I have a giant cob light LED suspended from hood.
I Took it down from one half of my 24 X 40 garage, It's brighter than daylight in there.
The four prongs on the power supply do not go back in and twist to lock,
therefore I cannot put the two wire bales over bulb holder to affix it to the headlight housing.
There is a slot on one spot of the bulb base.
I have rotated this to all 4 of the positions the bulb rotates to and locks into power supply.
It looks like there is a key cast into the zinc die cast piece of headlight socket.
I tried to align slot on bulb with this; makes no difference.
My next move is to take out the passenger side bulb.
I will either learn how it should go in, or I will have two bulbs for the Dealer to put in.
This is Ridiculous!!!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
Many headlight bulbs can be very difficult to access and connect when you can't clearly see what you are doing. Honestly, removing the headlight might be the best solution. Doing this mean removing (or partially removing) the front bumper. Its sounds liek a daunting task, but it really isn't that bad. it does help to lift the front end and remove the front wheels, but that is not absolutely necessary:

http://benzbits.com/W219/FrontBumper.pdf

You don;t need to disconnect all the wiring and completely remove it. You can get away with just detaching it and lowering it enough to clear the headlights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. (my mats are meticulous, thank you.)
I really didn't want to take the vehicle apart, just to change a headlight bulb?
I came up with this silly option myself, and finally dismissed it as unrealistic.
To hold the headlight in your hands, in front of you, and actually see what you are doing,
however, really would make this a simple task.

I have a plow truck - you pull two pins, and headlight comes right out.
Could Chevy have out engineered MB here?

Dealer really isn't an option fer me either, as it would be admitting defeat.
So, I suppose I will take the bumper off, or down, enough to get the headlight out.
I found our there is another headlight bolt - in under the inner fender well, also.
Then you have to deal with the latch mechanism, without breaking the side tab on bumper off.
Overall, I'm very impressed with this car; this mess, not so much.

I may also take copious amounts of photos to post, as all the stock photos from MB
really are not the best quality, to actually see what needs to be done - to get this accomplished.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
Not just MBZs but almost all modern cars are made this same way with bumpers attached to headlights. It's what manufacturers have learned over the years for building cars that are safe, light and easy to assembly with the fewest parts possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On a similar subject but I reall do not understand why (here in the USA) the headlights are made of plastic which yellow & can badly affect the efficiency & safety of driving the car. Is it just the manufactures way of getting you to replace them or the car products manufacturers way of making money selling kits that supposedly restore them. Sadly u cannot replace US headlights for European ones as they are driven on the wrong side of the road so the beam would be wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I took one side of the bumper loose and lowered and pulled it out,
to get the headlight out - and the rear socket in plain view.
Really went quite smoothly.
I did discover what I was doing wrong in the process.
As you install the bulb, there are two pins that stick out to each side.
These are horizontal to the ground, and one side is keyed - for a one way only fit.
You then secure the two wire bails.
As you take socket and slide it over the two bulb pins to get it to turn,
pins must go thru the black portion, and into a white nylon slip ring affair that turns,
as you simultaneously lock in the four outer tabs.
The slots in white inner turning ring must be aligned with the slots in the black outer portion.
Somehow mine were not.
Moved both into alignment, and it went together like German Engineering.

My next move is the repair/replacement of the center screen.
Any good leads on that?
2006 CLS 500

1 - 15 of 15 Posts