Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but I have a 1997 C280 Sport with the Bose Sound System, and I just want to change the in dash deck. I'm thinking of this one http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-FtLy7rZPjcv/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=158CDXMP70&o=m&a=0 it's the Sony CDX-MP70. And I was wondering if there are any special procedures or other things that I would have to buy or do I just pull out the old one and then just plug in the new one? And if anyone knows a place in Southern CA that's good w/audio, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The output level of your sony player does not match the bose amp. Needs a lineout converter.<br> I would install a MP3 player this weekend. I'll let you know what happen if you want.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey whats up, i am in the orange county area and i have worked on mercedes before there is a part made by PAC it allows you to adjust the output of the radio to match up with the bose input.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey whats up, i am in the orange county area and i have worked on mercedes before there is a part made by PAC it allows you to adjust the output of the radio to match up with the bose input.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that's called lineout converter. Couple companies make them. <br> But I will try to not using that converter first.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the list

I am still waiting for the package now. Here is the component list:<br> 1, head unit remove tool<br> 2, Cable adapter (# 5000.453-276)<br> 1 and 2 can be ordered from becker of north america, www.beckerautosound.com<br> 3, Antenna adapter (Volkswagen adapter, model 'Scosche VWA')<br> 4, Lineout converter (turn the speaker level signal to 'pre'-amp signal for bose amp, model 'Scosche FAI-3' or 'Peripheral VEN 4.5')<br> 3 and 4 can be ordered from www.sounddomain.com, I prefer the cheap one for 4.<br> 5, Soldering tool and shrink tube or crimping tool set (@ Radio Shack). Soldering should be better than crimping.<br> <br> Note: When tune the attenuation of the line out converter, starting from the highest attenuation. It is suggested you hear the maximum sound at half of the volumn readout on the head unit(Signal output at the volumn higher that half is 'clipped').<br> <br> When choosing head unit, use one with floating ground speaker level out. I know alpine head unit does. But the pre-amp output of alpine is common ground type, don't use these jack unless you know how to convert it to floating ground signals. (I may post it later)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Modification---Re: Here is the list

Finally I used the pre-amp out of the head unit to drive the amp. Forget the lineout converter. All I need is two ground loop isolators (2 channels each) and a set of RCA plug assembly. I prefer this solution since: 1,better sound quality; 2, I can turn off the power IC; 3, no need for extra power line; 4 save a buck or two :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Modification---Re: Here is the list

Cool, thanks a lot, also what head unit did you put in? And I guess this a dumb question, but I'll ask it just in case, does the speed sensitive volume still work? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Modification---Re: Here is the list

Mine is Alpine - CDA 7894. It has 4V-preout, which is necessary to drive the Bose amp. <br> I have not seen any aftermarket CD player with speed sensitive volumn control.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: What is a ground loop isolator?

Ground Loop Isolator is a 1:1 (or 1:1.1)transformer. It is used for coupling (let AC signal pass and block DC signal) and break the ground loop in the signal path (the alternator could bring engine noise into your system if your head unit and amp are connected to different 12V and ground locations). You can get it from circuit city ($15 each, 2 units needed)or best buy. It use RCA connectors as input and output. For RCA plug cable assembly, radio shack carries it $2-3 for a set of 4).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The model number of the CD player please. <br> Are you using the stock amp?<br> Do you want to use portable mp3/cd player or do replace the head unit?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your reply and willingness to help. As far as I know everything is stock. The changer is Alpine CHM-5601. Is there such a thing as a replacement changer that will play regular CD's and MP3's recorded on CD's?<br> Joel

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The stock head unit is compatible with any M-bus cd player, but the alpine mp3 cd changer CHA-S634 does not work with the stock head unit properly when playing mp3 songs.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please bear with my ignorance of this area, but is there a CD/MP3 changer that is compatible with the stock head unit? Or, does one have to replace the entire unit to play both cds and mp3s?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No.<br> You need to either install a RF modulated CD changer, or change the head unit and CD changer at the same time.<br> The amplifier and the speakers can still be used.

·
Registered
98 e430 sport
20 Posts
Re: changing in-dash deck

How does the Alpine deck sound? I just moved here
from Germany - there I had a 2000 e320 with the
Bose/COMAND system. Here I bought a 1998 e430 with
Bose. But the Bose in my 2000 sounded hugely better
than the Bose in my 1998, less distortion, more
dynamic range etc.

If it is the head unit - instead of the older Bose