Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes C180 1995 Gulf Version, Proton Iswara AB 1.3 1997 (Malaysia) & Yamaha SS110 1999 (Sold)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Is it safe to change your steering from left hand drive to right hand drive?
I knew some indie mech at my place who can do this, 3 of my friend done it before, be it 190E to E & C200.
So far for them, there's no problem.
Just that i was wondering whether the car safety is still ok to be use on the road.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Tahoe LT, 2012 VW Jetta 2.oh slow, 1998 E55 AMG
261 Posts
I cant seem why you would want to do that....i thought Jordan was a left hand drive country!

if your so keen on switching, why dont u try to import from South Africa or England where they were right hand drive to begin with.....

Well...to each his own..

·
Registered
MB C200 (W202) 1996 Model
21 Posts
i think its not a good idea there will be lots of probs with the car after you change. seen many cars that have been changed from RHD to LHD and after a year the car feels like S**t. i would also go with the idea of importing a RHD car. i got mine from Japan through this site. at a very good price. check it out.

http://www.mehran.co.jp/mercedes.jsp

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
It is more involved than moving the steering wheel. The steering box and steering linkage have to be changed. The dash and instrumentation have to be changed, the pedals and linkages. Not cost affective, I used to live in Japan and checked into it. It's better to sell it and buy nother car in the country you want to live...

·
Registered
Mercedes C180 1995 Gulf Version, Proton Iswara AB 1.3 1997 (Malaysia) & Yamaha SS110 1999 (Sold)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, Jordan is on LHD system. (forgot to mention it earlier).
But, if i were to bring it to Malaysia (RHD system), then i will have to change it.
Here (Jordan), it is not allowed to bring in any RHD car, not even allowing to drive on the right.
If its allowed, i already import it straight from Japan or Singapore.
It is ok to drive on LHD in Malaysia though, but why should i drive on the left when there's so many C180 on the right over there.
I bought my car on a tax free basis here, if i change it to the right, and shipped it to Malaysia, pay the import duty, still the price is way much cheaper than to buy another one in Malaysia.

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
i've been in the business of converting vehicles from RHD to LHD (from japan to philippines) mostly japanese cars and SUVs since 2001. even though i use original brand new parts from dealer (dashboard, steering gearbox, rack and pinion systems, switches, etc), still the car does not feel right.

what i mean is - when the vehicles arrive, i usually test drive them in RHD form for any mechanical problems before i take them apart for conversion. now after conversion, for some reason i cant fathom, the vehicles never feel the same to drive as when it was still RHD. dont ask me what or why, it just feels different.

cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
just curious i have a RHD W166 ML250, my electronic power steering motor has gone bad, wondering if just the motor pulled from a LHD rack would fit into my RHD rack.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,693 Posts
just curious i have a RHD W166 ML250, my electronic power steering motor has gone bad, wondering if just the motor pulled from a LHD rack would fit into my RHD rack.
Welcome RCB,
===>>> Update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

You are in the wrong forum. This is the w202 forum.
You own a w166.
Post here ============> W166 M-Class / GLE-Class

1 - 8 of 8 Posts