Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 ML63 that was installed from factory with the rocker type buttons on the steering wheel. Both sides will change up and down gears like a normal Mercedes.

These rocker buttons have 3 wires each side, Green, Blue and Red.

I have fitted the newer Paddle shifters however they have only 2 wires each side.

Was wondering if anyone could please help on how to wire these up and make them work.

Thanks

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
Where did you get the new switches? You might have to change the steering wheel to a later model, as I don't believe the paddle switches came along until around 2009. They are most likely not compatible.

·
Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
1,150 Posts
I'm curious...

My ML320 has the switches. The left one is an on/off switch and the right hand one is a rocker switch, it returns to its middle position.

Up/down changes using the right hand rocker switch sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, sometimes went to 5th other times only 3rd gear.

The left hand switch seemed very stiff and sometimes allowed up/down gear changes on the right hand rocker switch and sometimes didn't.

What are they supposed to do please?

I don't have a handbook with the car.

Thanks, and apologies if I'm diverting this thread.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
I'm curious...

My ML320 has the switches. The left one is an on/off switch and the right hand one is a rocker switch, it returns to its middle position.

Up/down changes using the right hand rocker switch sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, sometimes went to 5th other times only 3rd gear.

The left hand switch seemed very stiff and sometimes allowed up/down gear changes on the right hand rocker switch and sometimes didn't.

What are they supposed to do please?

I don't have a handbook with the car.

Thanks, and apologies if I'm diverting this thread.

Hi Jim,

Please fill out your profile so we know what you are driving. The functions change over time...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I looked through the Owner's handbook but my car isn't quite the same as the ones described, it's very basic.

For example the steering wheel gearchange switches are not press and release, the left is an on-off type rocker, left or right, and the right is a centre-off left-right rocker which returns to centre.

By fiddling with them (both are quite stiff so probably very little used, and I don't think I'll use them much either) I found the left one set the gear range limits as described, and the right one let me select gears manually, up and down. It doesn't have the M-C-S switch in the centre console.

But the car changes gear so nicely, lovely smooth kickdown too, that I won't bugger about using that, and I don't want wifey making expensive mistakes either, so I won't tell her about it! ;)

Are all MLs 4Matic or do those not have the 722.9 7G-Tronic transmission?

Still learning! :)

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
the steering wheel gearchange switches are not press and release, the left is an on-off type rocker, left or right, and the right is a centre-off left-right rocker which returns to centre.
Wow, that is a new one on me. Every ML I have seen in the USA is just a simple momentary switch on both sides, later upgraded to a paddle type switch. Left side is down-shift 1 gear, right side is up-shift one gear. Maybe it's a euro thing?

Outside of me never seeing one (which is highly likely!) another possibility is that the steering wheel and buttons are high end aftermarket. Can you post a picture of the steering wheel and the buttons?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Here are pics of my steering wheel and buttons bud. My car is RHD, imported from the UK by one of the earlier owners.

It'll be good to have a visual comparison, and from others who have different switches or buttons, it's the only ML I've used too.

I realise there were one or more facelifts to the W164 of course. Mine was built in late 2005.

Attachments

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
Ahhh. Ok, those are the standard buttons. I think your issue is that one (or both) are broken! They should be the same momentary switches and just click, not have multiple positions.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They were very stiff to begin, I think from not being used. Now they are both working much more freely, almost normal.

The left one doesn't have a centre position.

It selects the gear limit as described in the handbook, if I remember 1,2,3 or 5?

The right one does have a centre position and returns to it. It changes gear up (I think to the right) and down (right switch to left) as I would expect in tiptronic cars from a single switch.

We shall see if their functions change in a few days/weeks. :)

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
It’s also entirely possible that your different buttons are a Euro/RH drive or country specific thing. I’ve seen odd, different parts on non-US cars before. Send me your VIN and I will look up the exact switch part #. That should tell us what what we need to know.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It’s also entirely possible that your different buttons are a Euro/RH drive or country specific thing. I’ve seen odd, different parts on non-US cars before. Send me your VIN and I will look up the exact switch part #. That should tell us what what we need to know.
Any luck bud?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts