Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
today i removed my "500SL" emblem, to either leave it off, or put the newer "SL500" emblem on. However, when i removed the emblem.. there was damage that seems to have discolored the paint. The paint is like a darker gray...
I have attached photos to help show. Will touch up paint do a good job covering this up? should i just put the emblem back on? All feedback would be lovely!

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
Hi,
today i removed my "500SL" emblem, to either leave it off, or put the newer "SL500" emblem on. However, when i removed the emblem.. there was damage that seems to have discolored the paint. The paint is like a darker gray...
I have attached photos to help show. Will touch up paint do a good job covering this up? should i just put the emblem back on? All feedback would be lovely!
Why change it? Seems like putting an Olds emblem on a Buick, or vice versa. And why would you even think about replacing it with a glob of touch up paint? "SL500" doesn't look any better to me than "500SL".

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
As RKH pointed out, I would guess this can be cleaned up.

If it has any residue left on it try 3M spray adhesive remover, used for removing clear bra adhesives so easy on the paint.

After that, if you have a dual action polisher with appropriate pads that should take care of it. If you don't have that stuff, try the scratch X 2.0 (new version) but go easy, it does have abrasives and may cause a few more scratches. But those too can be removed with M205 or other finishing glazes... if needed. I bet you can get that out.

NOW Andrew, just put the original 500SL emblem back on!!! haha

Why do you want to change them? To feel like a newer SL? You only gain a couple of years if you do. If you put SL500 on it, you will get strange glares from true MB people as if you were putting Brabus stickers on it. We know what the model years are supposed to be by more than the emblem.

If you like it bare, then I guess go for it. But, you are altering it and may make people think it's not what you want them to think.

If you are doing this for your own personal preferences and not influenced by anyone else's opinion... well, then have fun.

Of course, this is just my harsh purist opinion. It's all good whatever you decide, it's your car. JMO :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just regular polishing compound applied by hand should easily remove discolored paint if the paint is all there and it's just stained. This has always left my cars' finishes as bright and scratcless as the surrounding paint, but if you got better eyes you could go over it with a scratch remover (very fine abrasive) marketed on the internet for plastic watch crystals, etc. I think Nova is the one I used on a backup camera lens and cleaned the oxidation off my soft top windows with.
(I don't think any solvent will do anything to either the stain or the paint.)
Then put the 500SL back.
Touch up paint on that smooth highly visible surface will look like sh$t.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used goo gone to take all the adhesive off. after it was all off, i used nu finish scratch doctor to try and buff it, but it didnt touch it at all. it did buff out minor scratches though.
shouold i try another polish ? all the adhesive is gone and the surface is perfect... its just the discoloration...
I really just want to leave the badges off and keep it slick.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Check out the Meguires site, they may have something to help. You could go on line there and ask the question.

If you leave the badges off everyone will think it's a 6 cyl

That's not a bad thing LOL!

·
Registered
1996 SL320
285 Posts
Good day, I can't beleive that on a twenty year old mercedes SL, you dont have anything else to worry about to work on. ha ha

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
If the polishing does not work, it could be your car has been repainted and the emblem was taped off instead of removed. Your easiest option is to get a new emblem and put it on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If the polishing does not work, it could be your car has been repainted and the emblem was taped off instead of removed. Your easiest option is to get a new emblem and put it on.
Solvent will remove adhesive and regular polishing compund will remove the stain, BUT if the gray you uncovered is old paint you'll just have a mess if you go any farther; you'll wind up having to repaint the trunk lid.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
I believe Nu Finish is diminishing abrasives technology, which is much less effective in most applications. You can try a non diminishing abrasive as I mentioned in the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. A stronger polish is the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and might be useful here too. These two products are found at most auto parts stores, as well as professionally online.

Most of the time the polishing is not done correctly and therefore isn't effective. This takes quite a bit of work. Work one letter/number at a time, use a clean microfiber or foam applicator and put some pressure behind the rub. Do up and down back and forth quickly. Speed is a factor in getting it to work properly by hand. Think of a rotary applicator and how fast it spins to do paint correction. You may have to do several applications to get this out. It is not a "Wipe On Wipe Off" product, it takes effort to make this work.

Some will argue that you will go through the paint or "burn" through it with this process. If the underlying paint is original, not repainted and not scratched or completely etched out, you will have to work very, very hard to go through, if you ever could by hand.

Do the fingernail test on it, scrape your nail over the area and see if you feel a cut or indention going from the stain to non stained area. If you feel a large dip or definite break, you may have different paint. I doubt this and I think with the right products and technique you will be able to remove it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good day, I can't beleive that on a twenty year old mercedes SL, you dont have anything else to worry about to work on. ha ha
Its not the only thing. I also need to remove the cassette holder and put a cupholder there instead. ;) But we all get problems, but I dont think anyone wants to hear the long list of things I have already done. HA!

I am going to try a different polish today. I dont think the car has ever been repainted, and the different color from where the emblem was is not a factory color?

I believe Nu Finish is diminishing abrasives technology, which is much less effective in most applications. You can try a non diminishing abrasive as I mentioned in the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. A stronger polish is the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and might be useful here too. These two products are found at most auto parts stores, as well as professionally online.

Most of the time the polishing is not done correctly and therefore isn't effective. This takes quite a bit of work. Work one letter/number at a time, use a clean microfiber or foam applicator and put some pressure behind the rub. Do up and down back and forth quickly. Speed is a factor in getting it to work properly by hand. Think of a rotary applicator and how fast it spins to do paint correction. You may have to do several applications to get this out. It is not a "Wipe On Wipe Off" product, it takes effort to make this work.

Some will argue that you will go through the paint or "burn" through it with this process. If the underlying paint is original, not repainted and not scratched or completely etched out, you will have to work very, very hard to go through, if you ever could by hand.

Do the fingernail test on it, scrape your nail over the area and see if you feel a cut or indention going from the stain to non stained area. If you feel a large dip or definite break, you may have different paint. I doubt this and I think with the right products and technique you will be able to remove it.
Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the wonderful tip. I remember seeing the scratch x2.0, so I should try that.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
I am wondering what is the correct rear badge for the correct year SL 500 - 500 SL ?

Some are underlined, some are not. My '93 is underlined ' SL 500'..... (2 pieces)

I can suspect the trunk was replaced, if the year / style is not correct?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am wondering what is the correct rear badge for the correct year SL 500 - 500 SL ?

Some are underlined, some are not. My '93 is underlined ' SL 500'..... (2 pieces)

I can suspect the trunk was replaced, if the year / style is not correct?
Mine is 500SL and underlined. It is period correct for my car.... and even if it was not... the dark gray under is not a factory color....

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
I striped a '73 Porsche 911T to the bare metal in 1988. In the 15 years before me, the car had 4 different colors or shades on it, I assume only one was from the factory.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its not the only thing. I also need to remove the cassette holder and put a cupholder there instead. ;) But we all get problems, but I dont think anyone wants to hear the long list of things I have already done. HA!
Put the damn 500SL back and do something that needs to be done.
Like I got real problems:
(1) Between the center dashboard vents there's a red & a blue square button which are lighted with the headlights on. My blue button doesn't light.
(2) The border around my seat adjustment buttons lights up with the headlights on and (and is very beautiful, I might add), but the passenger side border doesn't.
After weeks of agonizing and praying over these issues I ran out to my indy today, while Homer was getting his monthly bath at the vets, and he said he'd fix both quickly after the rain quits.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I striped a '73 Porsche 911T to the bare metal in 1988. In the 15 years before me, the car had 4 different colors or shades on it, I assume only one was from the factory.
Doh!
I was afraid of that. I do not know if that is the case, but it is possible.
Anyways, the color now is factory, so I will not complain.
Other than that, I tried Scratch x 2.0, and still no luck. So maybe you are correct...
Luckily I still have my 500SL emblem, I just put it back on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Doh!
I was afraid of that. I do not know if that is the case, but it is possible.
Anyways, the color now is factory, so I will not complain.
Other than that, I tried Scratch x 2.0, and still no luck. So maybe you are correct...
Luckily I still have my 500SL emblem, I just put it back on.
That's what I advised, nay told, you to do at the get-go. Now look what you've done: you've instilled the possibility into your brain that you got a repainted wreck salvadged from a junk yard.

(I don't believe it's been repainted at all.)

Someone should start a thread on how to detect a respray from the original (without using a knife).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts