Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a helpful thread here regarding the replacement of the bulbs in the early HVAC panel. I saw the drivers seat removed, the console removed and alot of hard work to change 3 rice bulbs or anything in the vertical HVAC panel portion of the console area.
I thought theres no way in hell thats what a tech would do if the car was brought in for that in the last 33 years.
I was right and for those who want those lights working you will be happy!!
A #2 phillips and a right angle pick is or a small flat head is what you need.
See the pictures.. this link below is to my photo site to get a better idea..

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=hoobness&target=ALBUM&id=5509897539931576081&authkey=Gv1sRgCI69su7hrKG0qAE&feat=email

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the bulb for the climate control wheel? That's behind on the far left, I'm looking at a brand new one right now, is there a way to get your hand under and up the back to replace that bulb with out taking out the panel?
Once you get to the point seen in the pictures, there are a few (2 I think) screws that hold the entire HVAC control unit in. Remove them and out it comes, the light is back where you thought it was.

I have yet to put it all back together. Im replacing all the bulbs regardless of whether theyre good or not. Im having an issue with the interior panel/gauge lighting, so to eliminate vars Im replacing the bulbs everywhere they dont come on.
The rheostat was removed and I jumped the 2 prongs where it plugged into.... to no avail.. Im in the process of tracing back to the switch to find where Im missing power. But thats another thread.

Hope that helped you.:D

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
Yes you can get to 3 rice bulbs without console removal but there is the one in the climate control wheel and one that powers the fiber-optics for the rocker switches that aren't accessible without console removal. Or at least thats what I found.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tomm Im replacing that bulb.. Im pulling the HVAC unit out to do it or so I hope so.
I pulled one out of a pick n pull car for parts some time ago and I didnt need to pull the console. It was a 79 fullsize gasser i believe. Bigger car no doubt but the HVAC controls, shifter, windows basically the entire console..was the same, just bigger. I did it the same way Im doing on mine. Ill post more pics tomm night or wednesday after I do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts