Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 500sl
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to change to led and maybe a lite blue color what size is this bulb and how do i get it out of socket thx for help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
i want to change to led and maybe a lite blue color what size is this bulb and how do i get it out of socket thx for help
I did a quick search using keywords 'cluster bulb removal' and found that from changing bulbs in the cluster it shows what type of LED bulb type fits.

Through the search, I came across several threads that provide specific instructions and details on how to remove the cluster and replace the bulb.

·
Registered
R129 sl320 '99 / W201 190E '90
1,016 Posts
Forgive me if you know this already or if I am not sure what you want to do -
I think the led in that blue socket in your photo is a 5mm base and unnecessary to remove from its socket?? - I fitted that blue led as it is, in its socket directly into where the beige backed bulbs are eg temp gauge and mileage and full head lights indicator bulb in the dash of my 1999 sl320....make sure it is not too bright when installed, you don't want to crash for a blinding led.. - (I think the ones I have in are lightly sanded at the top?? )
Line up the two sticky out bits and twist into place. You might find you need to take it back out if it doesn't work and turn it 180 degrees and it will work then. A bit fiddley sometimes.
The four main bulbs for the backlighting of the dials are the black backed ones and they are wedge bulb T10 (501) (10mm base).
I recently got great led kit (4 backlights and two for the temp and mileage display) from James at mbcluster.com who is really really helpful and knowledgeable. His set is way better than the diverse leds I have tried as they were all either unevenly lit or died on me (as you probably know, he is a member here of benzworld).

If you get white leds for the dials they look white with a lovely light blue tinge. If you get blue for the dials, they look probably as blue as the dials in a vw golf.
White led through the temp gauge might have a light blue tinge (although i am not sure) and blue led in temp gauge looks blue (like a vw golf)

Kind regards,
Darragh

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes SL, 1964 Corvette StingRay Sport Coupe, 1992 Mercedes 300 SL, Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
427 Posts
I think you just pull the bulb out of the socket.
Sorry i ment the pull out the instrument panel.

I saw it done on youtube

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
the bulb has 2 wires normally soldered to the metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts