Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have performed many brake pad replacement on my personal cars over the years, I have never perfomed a replacement on an MB. I need to replace the front pads.

Are there any surprises I should expect? What are the major steps? Will I need to remove the caliper?

Thanks in advance, r

·
Registered
E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
E320 front brake pads

I have the front wheel off and the pad has at least 1/4" thickness remaining. There are many miles left on these. However, it would appear that the wire spring clip holds the moving part (which holds the pads) to the main housing bolted to the spindle.

If the wire clip is released, will the "moving" part of the caliper holding the brake pads in place allow pad replacement?

(btw, if the wire is the key, pad replacement may be as simple as a Jaguar AJ6 and '65-'66 Mustangs.)

thx, r

·
Registered
2002 E320W4
242 Posts
for future reference. you may want to place your question or search in the w210 forum. w...

for future reference. you may want to place your question or search in the w210 forum. which is what your chassis is.
i have not changed pads on the w210 yet...it is still under the maintenance program. but, i have done it on a w201(190e) and it was quite simple. yes, the wire clip is key. and the job is quite simple. more simple than my honda.

·
Registered
E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E320 brake pads

Thank you for the input regarding the car is an W210 chassis. I have bookmarked that forum for the next time and to monitor.

I'm removing the two 18mm bolts to remove the caliper for pad replacement. That is the only way to replace the pads.

Is there a recommendation regarding the use of MB OEM or a different (NAPA?) pads (so the wheels don't get so black)and last longer than 20k miles?

thx, r

·
Registered
2002 E320W4
242 Posts
i don't care for the oem pads because they emit way too much brake dust. something you m...

i don't care for the oem pads because they emit way too much brake dust. something you may have noticed. they are very effective though. i wouldn't go with an off-brand. i have not changed the pads yet on the E, mainly because it doesn't have more 20k miles. i have heard that EBC greenstuff are great. i would search around a little bit. maybe check the groupbuys forum and again, check the w210 forum. the search function has not been working for sometime. i was doing a little searching though...and i kinda gave up. but this might help.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/messages.asp?messno=49486&id=4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts