Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Changing badges from CLK430 to CLK55AMG MORE

2K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  DBA-ONE 
G
#1 ·
thank you all, but now my main concern is that some people will know the difference from the exhaust. What should I do about this? I do not want to change the exhaust. What is a good excuse?

G
#2 ·
Too many excuses! just change the exhaust...

Changing the exhaust will be cheaper than changing the wheels. If you want to fool others you have to do better than just words. No AMG owners out there is going to stripe down their cars, I know I won't! Look, I had 1998 E430 Sport for 3 years and I was very happy with it. At any time I never consider changing the badge even though my E430 Sport had AMG body kit. I eventually upgraded to E55 last year. So my advice to you is enjoy your car now and upgrade to an AMG later.<br> <br> John J

G
#4 ·
Re: Too many excuses! just change the exhaust...

But see the thing is, I CAN AFFORD THE AMG!<br> I did not buy it because I did not like the way it rode. I live in a city and the roads are terrible. The 430 is much less harsh. Also, I do not think the engine difference was worth $18k.<br>

G
#7 ·
It's nice to have others think that you're in an AMG. But, real AMG drivers will be able to spot you out right away, like me. Too many give aways. If you don't have the exhaust and wheels, u stand right out as NOT a real AMG.<br> <br> There is a lot more than just the ENGINE difference between clk... and CLK55... If you don't own a 55, you will never be able to express it.

G
#8 ·
Personally I think the CLK55 should be rebadge as a CLK540 cause technically it is closely to a 5.4

liters than a 5.5 liters. Also I think the 3 number designation looks better than the two.

G
#10 ·
I'm not sure how the HP per litre have to do with engine size designation. If you're suggesting ....

using the 3 digits to designate the HP instead of the engine size, I don't think that will go well. What happen if you add modification or a supercharger to your stock engine, then the number become meaningless.

G
#12 ·
Well, a CLK 5.4 liter engine has the same displacement as a 325 cubic inch engine. (more)

A '68 Chevy 302 engine only created 230 horsepower, or about .75 HP per cubic inch. Compare that to today's AMG engine that is cranking out almost 1.1 HP per cubic inch, a 45% increase.<br>
So showing the engine displacement on the back of a car doesn't mean much about what's under the hood, (blowers & nitrous aside.)<br>
I guess I'm just talking to hear myself talk now. <br>
Anyway, it's cool to think that the AMG 55 creates the same horsies as the huge old Ford 428 (Cubic Inch) muscle engines.<br>

G
#13 ·
Haha - you guys worry too much...who the hell cares?

My 430 has an AMG badge, too. I think the whole argument is funny. Technically the wheels have the logo as well. How confusing it must be to the general public!<br> <br> If anyone asks, I just say I slapped it on there because I felt like it. If they ask if its a 430, I just lie and say it's a 320 with a sport package.<br> <br> I get a kick outta that one.<br> <br> :)

G
#14 ·
You asked for our opinion about you wanting to change your 430 badge to a CLK 55 AMG...

I think we all pretty much think that you should be happy with the car you've got! I don't know too much about cars but I think I know enough to know that its difficult to make your 430 to look and sound and be that CLK 55 that you want it to be that much. I think its pretty much the whole forum world vs you....<br> Or if you really want...you can try spray painting your seats to look two-toned like the CLK 55 interior. sigh....<br> You're still giving her a hard time ay?<br> <br> Let us all know when you've made your decision...think we're all waiting...I've been hearing those darn drum roll sound for days now...

G
#17 ·
You are a poser!!!!!

Look,i had a 430 for a while, i just now got my 55, i was plenty happy with the 430, and i never thought about adding amg badges, why you ask? It isnt a damn amg thats why, you are a queer, and if you could have really afforded your amg you would have gotten it, i can tell you right now,if any true benz lover had the chance they would take the amg. You dont think the amg is worth, yet you want your car to resemble one? Quit trying to flash money around, we dont care how much money you have, we obviously all have some driving a mercedes. You hypocrite!

G
#18 ·
Adding an AMG is ok, but dont lie about your engine

Hey, people who use Lorinser or carlsson can put their respective badges on because they have gotten the pieces put onto their car. <br> <br> The AMG, Lorinser, or Carlsson badges are to designate the tuner. However the numbers are to designate the engine size. Both BMW and Mercedes do this. If you have a 430, you have the AMG bodykit and wheels so you can get away with the AMG badge. If you mod your engine with some AMG produced parts, then you might be able to make it a CLK 43.<br> <br> But if you are going to really mess with the numbers, the only ok way to do it is if you lower the numbers if you want to go into 'stealth' mode and try to fool people trying to race you. (Much like a C32 AMG I've seen with all the badges taken off including the V6 Kompressor and a C240 badge put on). Imagine the look on someone's face when you smoke their M3 in a 'C240'. <br> (Also you might want to do that if you live where I do and dont want your car janked.)<br> <br> Unless you do an engine swap or increase the displacement (good luck), dont mess with the numbers.<br> <br> Lying about engine size is like lying about the length of your 'member', when they look under the hood, you want to surprise them with how big it really is.

#21 · (Edited)
It's like this guy that was selling his CLK320 and advertised it as the 2000 model AMG, I went to inspect it and the first thing I noticed is the CLK350 badge at the back, so I asked him, what's this badge gotta do with the car? He says, well, I added the AMG bodykit and the AMG wheels to it, so it looks exactly like the CLK350 AMG :) but wait that's not all, I opened the hood and the manufacturing plate says "manufactured in 1998"!!! I told him, your CLK320 is a '98 model. He goes, yeah, but it looks like a CLK350 AMG model, so that's what I put on the advert LOL :)

He was expecting people to buy it as a CLK350 AMG....what a bloody looser!!!

#24 ·
Just because the 'wheels' have the AMG logo on them, doesn't mean you can badge the car as such. The wheels are badged as MAG, because they are AMG. ...as far as the body kit goes, I don't even know if those are stamped with the logo, but that doesn't mean it justifies slapping the AMG badge on. The only thing an AMG badge on a non-AMG car reveals, is truth about its owner/driver.

What a MAN, what a MAN, what a mighty good mannnnnnn!

wait, what? I'm not gay.

#26 ·
lol - Cabby, I was reading my post in your quote reply, and at one point in my post I spelled AMG as 'MAG'. How embarrassing. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.