Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL 120K miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The side mirror on my 90 560sel broke some casting parts inside but the mirror glass is fine. I bought another mirror unit but after cleaning it up find the glass has spots on it that wont come off. Supposedly you can change out the mirror glass part by popping it off and the other back on. Theres a small wire spring inside that goes around what looks like the fulcrum part of the mechanism -looks like a tension snap ring of sorts -I've loosened this but no luck.

Before I break the glass by prying to hard is there an easy way of doing this?

·
Premium Member
1983 380SEC: 1995 S600 Coupe: 1993 600SEL
377 Posts
You should be able to pull the mirror out after you have released the spring clip. Gently pry it out on the outer edge. Then pull the mirror edgewise to release it from the hinge. When you go to put it back together, put the spring clip on the mirror back before you set the mirror back in place.

Pete

·
Registered
1986 Euro 300SEL
2,151 Posts
I can be a pain to do. I tried it once and broke the glass. Second time it worked. Might be easier to do the whole mirror unit itself. After popping off the black cover plate, there's a screw holding down the wiring plug, then 3 screws holding the unit on, that's it! I have several if you need one.

Here are instructions from the manual to do the glass and/or whole unit:

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL 120K miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys -- yea the three screws and plug were the easy part and what I was hoping to do. Can't handle the waterspots though but having no luck getting it to pop. On the upside I haven't broken it yet --anybody tried any lubricant or think it might help. I can always clean it off before putting it back together so it doesn't damage the plastic parts.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Thanks guys -- yea the three screws and plug were the easy part and what I was hoping to do. Can't handle the waterspots though but having no luck getting it to pop. On the upside I haven't broken it yet --anybody tried any lubricant or think it might help. I can always clean it off before putting it back together so it doesn't damage the plastic parts.
There are several contact point for the retaining spring. It's a total PITA to get the spring loose and not have one side hanging on. Once you've got the spring loose, use slow steady pressure to pry the mirror off the gimbal. The back of the mirror usually has an adheasive that's an ample back-up to the retaining spring. If you go too fast with the pry you'll risk cracking the mirror. This is not a pull the bandage off fast so it hurts less process :) I've gotten to the point that better than 75% of my attempts to remove the mirror is a sucess. Also, it's much easier to do with the mirror assembly still mounted to the car. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL 120K miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I didn't break the mirror but did break the little actuator lever that works off the motor. The retainer spring has to be off almost completely as there are two small tabs that are located under the spring -one that you can almost see if looking in from the mounting end and the other on the total opposite end. Since it was my hard mount that was broken I think now that I know how it goes together I can use the guts from my old mirror and replace motor and all. The white part I thought was going to pop off is actually part of the gimbal. I'm not seeing how to put the spring on first and then snap the unit on but I think I can fish the spring around after and then get it located.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts