Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Changin rear speakers

36K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  DEVOURS 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have the Audio 5 system in my B180CDI.
The radio is good enough for me, since I mostly use my Ipod carkit.
But the rear speakers are beginning to annoy me, they produce a very weak sound.
So I want to change them for something better, maybe the Harman/Kardon ones from the soundsystem.

Has anyone done this ? What speakers can you recommend ?

Thanks

Dennis (Netherlands)

#2 ·
Hi, my next project is this.. to replace the rear speakers.. I have noticed that they are too small to have good sound even they would be a good model/part/brand... So the first thing is to put bigger diameter which is probably possible by removing the factory plastic base and put the speaker direct, or using a custom one. I think that these speakers are 13cm diameter long instead of front which are 16,5cm and they have much better sound...

I will try all this as soon as i have the time and of course will post many pictures, but if you do this first please let us know and with pictures if possible!:)

Cheers!

#3 ·
Yes, the rear speakers are 13 cm in diameter.

I think that the 13cm is enough for me, I just want different 13 cm ones :)

But it should be possible to remove the standard speaker, make a bigger opening, maybe fit an MDF panel for extra stiffness and fit a bigger speaker.
I've read that the depth in the door is a problem when fitting speakers...

#4 ·
There are special types with lowest depth that can be fitted but for sure an MDF solution as you said could be better and more economic..
Anyway, one thing is for sure... the original rear speakers suck!! They are very poor quality compared to the front ones... Also another one good project would be a pair of tweeters a little bit higher maybe where the seat belts are coming out as the version with 12 speakers has...

#5 · (Edited)
I removed the doorpanels today. I used a small crowbar for this (Stanley Wunderbar) and I didn't even broke a clip. I drilled out the speakers only to find out that I need adapter rings or MDF to fit other speakers.
I'm not in the mood to spend hours making MDF rings so I ordered two adapter rings (14 Euro's) to fit other 13 cm speakers.
Story will continue soon...

BTW, the removal of the doorpanel is quite easy, just use a wide bar and short but hard pulls to loosen the clips.

BTW2, the caraudio-shop recommended Focal Speaker but they charge 100 Euro's ($133) for a pair. Blaupunkt/Sony/etc are much cheaper, say 40 Euro's ($55) a pair. Are focal speakers that much better and will I actually notice the difference when they are fitted in the back ?

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
..............I put paper inside the door while drilling so that all rivet pieces are removed and not left to possibly block the drain holes.( I know,I know,I'm too fussy)............

Cheers, DEVOURS
If you read step 5 you will see you were right to remove the rivet pieces!! :)

Here is also the door lining removal guide...

** Note also..this is a copyrighted material so use it wisely (!) **

Attachments

#6 ·
DEVOURS,

So basically I don't need my adapter rings to fit a 13cm (5.11") speaker.
I should be able to fit a 6" (or 15,3 cm) speaker. Without adapter rings.
Could you post a picture of the new speaker attached to the door ? So I can see how you attached the speaker and the spacers.
How did you construct the spacers ?

I think that the standard spacer ring provides some sort of enclosure to use the door itself to amplify the lower sounds.

#7 ·
a BIG THANKS! to both of you for all this info as this is my next project also...
Yes DEVOURS, i thought that my words came true when i saw the photo with the capacitor!!!!! I wondered what on earth they want this capacitor there? , for a single way speaker which will "speak" like a bad mid-range or damaged tweeter? :confused: :confused:

Anyway as it seems its possible to fit much better speakers there and i will do this on my first chance because in combination with my active subwoofer i believe that i will reach the sound result that i want.

BTW the Audio system power (from my experience on Sony headsystems servicing) seems to be about 4X30 Watts and because original front speakers play much LOUDER than the rear its another proof of the quality of the back speakers!!! I think also that any speaker of the size of 6'' would fit there (no sub but normal 2 or 3 way speaker) because usually these series are in the same wattage zone... Only split type systems could proved insensitive due to low sensitivity of high input power...

I'll also post some photos when i find the time to do this!!

Thanks again!

#8 · (Edited)
Hi George, I think they put that capacitor there because, with my Audio 20 radio( of 100 or 130 watts), that original crappy speaker would be blown apart when we cranked the sound up. That might be the same speaker that is supplied with the Audio 5 radio, which is somewhat weaker than the Audio 20. Why not just put in a balanced speaker for the radio output. Noooo!!! That would be too easy!!!

#15 ·
Project completed.
I removed the old ones and installed two JBL Grand Prix 13 cm speakers.
I used space rings I bought in a car hifi store.
I think the spacer rings were for installing 10 cm or small 13cm speaker, I had to make some adjustments to fit the JBL's.
Sound is much better, the high is actually improved and the bass is deeper.
Pictures will follow.

#29 ·
This is a good time to bring this speaker mod back.
We have new people in the forum and they will probably consider this mod thanks to the great pics and descriptions.
This speaker mod is a must if you don't have the super sound system.
When i see this thread am always thinking when on earth i will find the time to DO IT!!!...

The weather here was pretty bad for a long period... now i think its a good time of starting this mod!!! :D

#18 ·
I want to change out the rear speakers as well and I want to go out shopping for some new ones. What do you recommend for the base radio (single cd)? I guess that it's the Audio 5? (I don't get the Audio 5, 20 , APS stuff) but I'm not sure? DEVOURS I see you got JBL speakers, are you happy?

Anthony

#19 · (Edited)
Yes Anthony, I'm very pleased with the Cerwin Vega Hed 6.5" speakers I've installed in the rear.
They're probably too much speaker for the Audio 20 that we have in our B(you have the 20 also which is an Alpine unit).
I moved a lot of the fade to the rear to compensate for the Cerwin Vega's extra load.
We still need a sub to round the sound out and give it the punch it sometimes needs.
Ask your best Auto Audio Tech and see what he recommends when the system only has 100 or 130 watts total.
He'll probably want you to go with at least 200 watts.
Please tell us what you decide to do.
Cheers, DEVOURS

#22 ·
They're probably too much speaker for the Audio 20 that we have in our B(you have the 20 also which is an Alpine unit).
Really, mine's a 20? If that's a 20 then what's a 5?

Anthony

#21 ·
Any drill will work fine as long as the cutting bit is sharp.
Remember the diameter of the rivet shaft is much smaller than the head of the rivet as you're looking at it.
A 1/8" drill is probably a good starting size.
The rivet is aluminum and a soft material to drill through.
Good luck!! :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Mines an Audio 20 in a UK B 200CDI (as was my last one) & these are to SE specification

The UK Brochure only seems to mention the Audio 20 as the basic radio/cd setup.

Looks like we may have the same starting point in the UK as you guys in Canada.

PS I can't find the output wattage stated anywhere either DEVOURS

#26 ·
So i picked up a pair of 5.25" Focal 130 CVX's and had them installed. (I'm lazy I know) Wow what a difference over the crappy base speakers!!! It's a much cleaner sound and a much more rounded.(More bass) I'm going to look at replacing the front component speakers too, maybe in the summer. This is a must do mod, IMO. Here's a pic. Thanks for everyone's help in this thread.

Anthony

Attachments

#43 ·
Hi Anthony,

I' seriously considering this upgrade. I sat for the first time in the back this week-end and I kept on asking my wife to pump up the volume, and she told me that her ears were bleeding in the front while in the back it sounded like sh*t.

Did you go to Merc to have these speaker installed or you went to a electronic/radio shop. How much did it cost you in total ?

tx

Daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.