Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a letter from Mercedes today about changes in their Roadside Assistance Program. Previously any owner of any MB vehicle could request a few gallons of gas, jump start and even towing to a repair facility. I understood those services to be available for the life of the vehicle. Well from the letter today it looks like they want to limit it to vehicles that are in warranty or vehicles that have been into the dealer for service at least once in the last 18 months with total amount > $100.

This won't affect me, since I will be taking my car to the dealer for service soon. However, this must affect a lot of folks like me who have been using it on cars that were out of warranty. Am I the only one who sees this as a big change?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am on their mailing list but received no such notification. But I guess I am covered under the new rules since I had dealer service for much more than $100 in the past year. I have never needed their roadside service and I hope if I ever do, it will be available.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I recently heard similar comments, so I went to MBs web site, whit seems to confirm it. I dont remember it exactly but did say something about your vehicle your vehicle having been serviced within a year, and being effective in 2011. There could have been a dollar figure, but one oil change and alignment would cover $150. I somehow cant find the site now.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Road Side assistance

This was published by the editor MB magazine

Mercedes-Benz USA has just announced changes and improvements to their Roadside Assistance Program, including some special privileges for long-term members of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America.

Letters announcing the changes, which will be effective January 1, 2011, were recently mailed to U.S. owners whose ownership information is in the MBUSA database. The major improvement to the program is that any car that is eligible for Roadside Assistance Service will be towed, at no cost in most circumstances, to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealer if necessary. Previously, towing was complimentary only for repairs covered under warranty. This service is in addition to the basic assistance services of jump-starting the car, replacing a flat tire with a spare, or providing enough gasoline to get the car started and to the nearest service station.

The changes are being made to reward loyal Mercedes-Benz service customers, add to the value of dealership service, and encourage Mercedes-Benz owners to consult with their local dealer, where you can always be sure of finding a knowledgeable, highly-trained technician with access to approved Mercedes-Benz parts.

MBUSA Roadside Assistance will be available to any Mercedes-Benz car that is currently under new vehicle, extended, or Certified Pre-owned (CPO) warranty; was purchased from a full-service Mercedes-Benz dealership prior to January 4, 2011 and is still owned by the same owner; or is serviced regularly by a full-service Mercedes dealership (having made a single transaction of at least $100 in the 18-month period prior to the Roadside call).

As part of the continuing cooperation between MBUSA and our Club, the company has announced that MBCA members will also have access to the Roadside Assistance Program for their Mercedes-Benz cars. To be eligible for the program, the member must have been in the Club for at least 12 consecutive months prior to January 1, 2011 and be a current member in good standing. This is definitely another good reason to make sure that if your membership is due for renewal this year, you renew it on time.

For MBCA members whose cars don’t already qualify under the standard conditions (warranty, dealership purchased, or regularly dealership serviced), when you call the MBUSA service number you’ll need to have your membership number available. If you don’t, the representative will be able to search the MBCA data base, but only for the member’s name exactly as it is spelled in the database. (We suggest that you look at the mailing label on this issue, and copy your name and membership number onto a card that you can tape inside the glove compartment of each of your cars.)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
"Mercedes don't break down" ;)
Driving Mercedes and for last decade Mercedes only (have 3 in the family right now) I used MB roadside assistance once only for battery replacement at my home.
They don't have tow truck, they don't carry OBDII scanners, they won't change the belt for you. Driving diesels I never run out of fuel and I can change the spare myself.
Than in Bay Area we have government sponsored "White fleet" tow trucks that will do much more than MB for free to anybody.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have used them more for battery replacements, since the dealership charges labor, and "roadside" does not, my service advisor told me to use them. A typical battery installed, radio reprogrammed and things synced is under $150, 24/7. They will install a belt, for a charge on the road, bring fuel, and change a tire, (my wife has no clue of where a jack is, how to jack it up, or a lug nut. ). They will arange a tow to the shop (my ML twice), and sometimes take you home. I spend at least the $100 on each of my cars per year if not per visit, so it does not bother me. If you look at all the other brands out there the "road assistance" ends with the warranty, including BMW and Lexus, with the exception of Rolls or Bently I think.
I just dont know how MBUSA knows your service history, most techs work out of their home after hours, but are in the dealership during the day.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Doggone it, I let my MBCA membership lapse this year. I guess I'd better pony up the money pretty soon.

Thanks to Peter for the information.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As more MB owners learn about these changes they're gonna be
pissed. If your car's off warranty or you didn't buy it from
an MB dealer you now have to pony up a hundred bucks for services every
18 months to qualify for RA. And that's $100 in a SINGLE transaction!
Won't qualify if you get two/three oil changes every 18 months.
Nor will you qualify if you buy $100 in parts (called MB about this). Has to be SERVICE. May be OK for many, but for owners like me, who live hundreds of miles from an MB dealership, it pretty much means no more lifetime RA. In one fell swoop MB has lowered their prestige BIGTIME. Beemers and Lexis beginning to look a lot better.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Received my letter today. I use the dealer for service, and bought a CPO from the same dealer so I'm covered. I just hope I never need it.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Got my letter, I still belong to MBCA, they are now checking your card for parts discount. Their forums site stinks, magazine is OK and the directors are out of touch!

·
Registered
Several MB's
352 Posts
How nice of MB; they will take your car to the stealer, bend you over and rape you with their pricing----$100 is a piece of cake. A replacement of a bulb will be that much but they will Nick or scratch your car for free. Why don't they just come out and say"You vill have your car serviced by us"

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
It's cheaper to pay for the towing yourself and take it to your local indy! Btw, I have free road side assistance from AMEX!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
Read the fine print on all those "Free" things.
I have roadside assistance included with my 21 Century insurance, but it covers only $75, what doesn't go far in California.
I used 21 Century assistance for my Ford twice last year and was pretty impressed. Within minutes they found local shop that contacted me and I had proper service trucks at the site within 1/2 hr. That was for 5 tons pickup, so not too many shops have the right equipment.,

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
When I got my letter, I sent an e-mail to the guy who signed the letter, Alan something I think. Got a call from his assistant/secretary two days later expressing their appreciation for my comments. She said they welcome all input and the program will be changed as Mercedes deems necessary from customer input, etc. I'd suggest you all drop Alan a note and let him know how you feel about the change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts