Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I own a Mercedes 2013 E350 4 matic, it has 120K, recently i noticed there was a slight leak from the water pump which was not over heating the car but the coolant level would drop ever so little and every month or so the light would come on and id top it off, keeping in mind it would never overheat and the temperature gauge was always in the correct position I believe at 90 or 100 degrees, However since the change of the water pump i noticed within the first 15 minutes of driving the temp gauge was flying around up and down to prevent overheating i stopped the car, took it back to the garage who removed the connectors not removing the water pump or thermostat but after removing the connectors and a few front parts to access the water pump and put it back together the issue was gone so it seemed, there was no error codes showing no check engine light and no sensor codes, the mechanic claims hes not sure what the issue may be however pointed at the thermostat might be sticking however it never had that issue before other than the minor leak in the water pump. there was no air leak and no coolant leak and all else was showing okay he said and claims it may not even be the thermostat but that what he would recommend to change i don't want to go around changing parts for no reason but otherwise i drove about 60 KM yesterday and noticed all was fine engine is running hotter than normal and the temp gauge did go back up to almost red. im concerned about this and was hoping someone with experience can let me know what the issue may be there seems to be no error codes but after driving now compared to before the water pump change the engine seems to be running hotter the fan kicks on more frequently and the gauge is higher a little than normal but it does not overheat right away the heating and cooling seem to be working fine. Please help!! anyone!

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply the air was bled using the vacuum process by the mechanic and also the problem persists, this all started after the water pump was replaced and it seems like the overheating does not happen right away its happening after quite a while i drove 60 kms today and noticed the temp gauge was not fluctuating but was a little higher than normal also its been really cold here lately and so that may play a role in keeping it cool but no error codes showing for the thermostat and prior to the water pump change the thermostat was fine also its still not behaving the way its being described online with a stuck open or stuck closed any other insight that can be provided?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up driving the vehicle home with the heat on max and the temperature gauge was in the right spot the whole way which is about 60 KM however i did notice the needle would go down every little while a few degrees perhaps when the thermostat opens and its flowing the coolant. Im in Toronto Canada and so hit the usual traffic back home i would not have been revving high rpms or going over 60km/h. I ended up driving straight to a shop i was referred to the guy there specializes in german vehicles he did a few tests here and there no codes popped up nothing seemed unusual he thought it might be air in the system however under further inspection while the car was on and idle and he was revving a little to see if the needle would move which it didnt it was in the right spot on the temp gauge, the radiator fan did kick on and in idle with no revving you can hear it get faster and then faster, his conclusion was that the aftermarket water pump just isnt circulating the coolant hard enough and that it may just be faulty and not right for the vehicle. otherwise he ruled out it being the thermostat as it wasn't showing any real sign of problems just that the engine was still very hot due to the poor circulation of the coolant with this yet to named brand of water pump, ill find out tomorrow hopefully when the shop who puts it in can tell me as they apparently dont know which i find hard to believe, either way lets see where this goes hopefully the warranty company GM who claims wants to see me happy and satisfied does about this when the mechanic forwards his assessment otherwise what do you guys think crappy aftermarket water pump not circulating the coolant hard enough?? issue yet to be resolved and will keep posting updates. mentioned something about water pumps having different material and type of circulating fins that may not circulate the coolant as well as the engine needs any thoughts on this Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First Image : When the needle drops slightly while in traffic with heat on blast . normally used to sit around this temp
Second: where it normally sits these days after the issue. but is stable at this temp until it randomly decides to jump to the line right before red.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,875 Posts
That's really odd behavior. Aside from perhaps a residual air pocket in the system, you might have a bad temp sensor or connection to the temp sensor.

I'd give the thermostat housing a peek with an infrared thermometer just to see if it is really hot or just being reported as being hot.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
743 Posts
I'd be concerned of aftermarket parts built maybe in China. Stick with OEM, the extra cost gives piece of mind and would also probably come with a warranty from the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone*

Thanks for the responses I just wanted to post an update, I ended up getting an OEM benz water pump installed and the aftermarket removed and the problem still persisted, i ended up getting the thermostat replaced as well as the mechanics kept insisting that was the issue, however turns out that it wasnt as the issue still remains, at this point im so frustrated and have no clue what the issue could be, when the heat is on full the car does not over heat however the moment its turned off the temp gauge starts to climb beyond where it should remain at, at this point im not sure what the issue could be,anyone have any insight? i had a friend mention the only other thing could be the rad is clogged and not circulating the coolant properly could that be one of the issues based on the information i provided? also what else could it be seeing the pump and tstat were both changed and that there are no error codes showing?*

​​​​​​​Thanks

·
Registered
2010 E550
3 Posts
i had a friend mention the only other thing could be the rad is clogged and not circulating the coolant properly could that be one of the issues based on the information i provided?

​​​​​​​Thanks
Are you losing any coolant at all since changing the water pump and thermostat ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not loosing any coolant its all sealed and vacuumed the correct way, Im starting to think since the heater core is working and its blowing hot air the way it should that perhaps there may be something clogging the radiator? i have read that plastic materials used like the propeller in the oem water pump can dislodge and create blockages, would you think that could possibly be it and most likely the radiator and not anywhere else?

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
743 Posts
At this point a clogged radiator seems likely. I'm not saying the following is happening but I had a 1980 Triumph TR-8 new back in 1980. I had to replace the radiator core at least 3 times during about 12 years. They would get clogged with corrosion caused (I was told) because the solder that the Brits used to assemble the radiator cores was not compatible with our Prestone antifreeze and would cause "solder bloom" this white hard corrosion to plug the radiator core tubes. I then tried changing to the coolant used in Jaguars and it didn't help. That car did have an aluminum engine block and I suspected the Prestone at that time didn't work well with aluminum. who knows :)

Good luck

·
Registered
2010 E550
3 Posts
If you're not losing any coolant and don't have a sweet exhaust smell at the same time, then I'd also say its the rad clogging up. You could try having it flushed but that will only make it last a little longer or maybe do nothing at all. Best to change the rad at that point.

When you change the coolant, you may want to consider sticking with OEM. Some other manufactures in the past (Volvo, BMW, etc) have had formulations that were not readily available off the shelf.

If you're losing coolant and don't find a leak anywhere, you could have the beginnings of a head gasket problem. Lets hope thats not the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes after a lot of trouble . I should have just known better. I had the thermostat really changed for no reason at that time I went in for a water pump replacement. It just turned out they didn't blow air through the radiator. The radiator just wasn't circulating properly had them blow hair through it and empty and refill with new coolant. The air through the radiator did it.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,465 Posts
I had the thermostat really changed for no reason at that time I went in for a water pump replacement.
It's good preventative practice to change the thermostat with a water pump replacement. It's a relatively inexpensive part and seems to go bad if you don't ..............lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@tmryan
How did they determine that the problem was the radiator?? Was the work done by a dealer or a radiator shop.

Thanks for the response. Good to learn from your experience.

The work was done at the same auto shop i went in to do the water pump honestly they didn't even know I had to make that recommendation and after doing my own research it was about the only thing left to do. Got them to empty the coolant completely also they reused the old one wasn't happy about that however got them to push compressed air via the input for the rad and reconnected everything and it was fine ever since. I understand this is what they should have done to begin with apparently there are valves inside that can stick or just close when releasing pressure however it worked and I was happy. A lot of time and research and running around but I'm glad its okay now running fine ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's good preventative practice to change the thermostat with a water pump replacement. It's a relatively inexpensive part and seems to go bad if you don't ..............lol.
Yes you're right abd I'm glad I did however they recommended it only when the troubles started and funny think my dealer supplied warranty recommended this place otherwise based on their work I would never recommend the place horrible work. They even reused the old coolant even when I told them new coolant with the change it was ridiculous and only if they ran air through the rad before hand to flush out everything never would have had the issue water pump replacement would have gone smooth 2 pumps changed the only benefit out of this was I got an oem pump replacement in the end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts