Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i made a complete tune up on the little car. the engine was runnng smooth. after the we changed the fuel filter the car wont start. any ideas?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
do you hear the pump? you need to turn the key to the start position and couple of times to "prime" it and then start it.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
since your close to me and if u need help feel free to im me

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i hear a buzz on the engine but the pump is silent, i think the pump went south.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i hear a buzz on the engine but the pump is silent, i think the pump went south.
Maybe not. The system is supposed to hold pressure for like 30 mins. Did you Bleed the line ,other side of the filter from the pump? Break the line connection enough to allow any air to escape and a bit of fuel escapes while you turn on the key. It just might be holding pressure but it's air at the injectors.

Wild hair brain ideas
Dan

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
other then the buzz do you hear a whirl?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
fuel pump might be dead. jump the pump..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Before you pull your pumps I would disconnect the inlet line to the fuel filter and turn the switch on and see if you have fuel. If you get fuel to the filter then reattach inlet to filter and undo outlet side to motor and turn pumps back on. It is possible yoou got a bad filter or the directional flow of the filter is wrong. Hard to believe that your pumps went bad from changing the filter.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Before you pull your pumps I would disconnect the inlet line to the fuel filter and turn the switch on and see if you have fuel. If you get fuel to the filter then reattach inlet to filter and undo outlet side to motor and turn pumps back on. It is possible yoou got a bad filter or the directional flow of the filter is wrong. Hard to believe that your pumps went bad from changing the filter.
Exactly - I too would think it would be very strange to wipe out the pump just changing the filter. I went browsing the manual again. I couldn't find any info that you had to bleed the system, not that you don't, I just didn't find anything.

I had my injectors all apart along with the fuel distributor ( and everything else ) when I did the head gasket and I don't think I did anything special, I may have bled, kinda fuzzy but it would not hurt. She fired right up.

Forgot about direction, good call. Look for an Arrow ----->

Dan

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yea the flow does matter and I think if I remeber correctly there is check vaqlves down there too but I cant remember if you can get them backwards

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yea the flow does matter and I think if I remeber correctly there is check vaqlves down there too but I cant remember if you can get them backwards

I just looked a pic of the filter. Yes there is a direction arrow but it would be impossible to install backwards. One side is a male and the other a female connector.

Dan

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright guys,

my brother in law confesed me something(he was the one installing the filter). when he replaced the filter, he disconected a cable of the pump, after putting the cable back he told me it made a small yellow spark on the connector.today i checked all of the fuse for continuity and all checjked fine, i left the the keys on 2(or on) and checked the fuel pump with a multimeter, it had no voltage.so i asume is that the fuel relay is busted or the OVP(but i checked the OVP relay fuse and checked ok) unless there is a protection switch around, any ideas?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Testing procedures for Fuel pump relay. Chart also shows where the FPR and OVP are located on the vehicle. Maybe this will help you test them.

Testing procedues for the OVP

What goes to and from the OVP

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
if you need i have a few of them lying around

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey guys,

Tested the fuel pump by jumping and it works,so we decide to take the relay and open it. turns out that it blew on of the soldered joint on the circuit board.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
if you still need one i can drop it of on my way back from jersey on sunday.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys just a little update,

We decided to re-solder the blown part of the relay. a friend of my brother in law did it and the Benz came back to life.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
nice, if you need a spare let me know i found 6 of them

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
hey guys just a little update,

We decided to re-solder the blown part of the relay. a friend of my brother in law did it and the Benz came back to life.
I kept my intermittent fuel pump relay, now I am going to take it apart & see if it's just a cold solder joint. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts