Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer in Montreal quoted me $139 plus tax and that includes balancing. What does balancing means? Does it require computer configuration?

The local auto shop quoted me only $72 plus tax.

Do I need to go to the dealer to have the tires changed? :confused:

·
Registered
2004 E320 wagon sport, 2006 R500
81 Posts
Good God No. Take it to the local shop, as long as they are reputable. Balancing requires a wheel balancing machine and a few lead weights. Any semi functioning person can jack your car up and replace the wheels and tires. I did it myself in my driveway and there is no reason to pay the dealer extra for this.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Sounds like a typical rip-off tire shop--if your wheels/tires were balanced before, they VERY likely don't need rebalancing.

In addition ... your Mercedes dealer wants you back for oil changes, etc., and is therefore probably more likely to take better care of your wheels, not scratching them up, etc.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Sounds like a typical rip-off tire shop--if your wheels/tires were balanced before, they VERY likely don't need rebalancing.

In addition ... your Mercedes dealer wants you back for oil changes, etc., and is therefore probably more likely to take better care of your wheels, not scratching them up, etc.
Read it again. The dealer was trying to rip him off.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
you should balance once every year, depending on wear

you MUST balance whenever you mount a tire on a wheel....

the price difference can be between road balance and spin balance. i pay 200$ to have tires mounted and balanced at an indy. granted not a gl but same deal eh.

so how can you know the 139 isnt for road balance? which is right on par with what it costs

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I'm bringing in my car to a local shop tomorrow for the very first time. I always used to go to the dealer. I can't believe the money I'll save.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have 2 sets of rims.

the stock 19s with all seasons as my summer, and using some used mercedes 17s that I bought off kiji for 600$ for the set of 4, with nexen winguard suv winter @ 235/65/r17 (cost me 150$ cdn installed! at a place in brampton). could not justify the difference between these and say some nokian which were more than 2x the price (I used nexens before, great tire...wal-mart sells them but small shops are cheaper)

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
i have 2 sets of rims.

the stock 19s with all seasons as my summer, and using some used mercedes 17s that I bought off kiji for 600$ for the set of 4, with nexen winguard suv winter @ 235/65/r17 (cost me 150$ cdn installed! at a place in brampton). could not justify the difference between these and say some nokian which were more than 2x the price (I used nexens before, great tire...wal-mart sells them but small shops are cheaper)
I think they sold you the wrong size. If you had 275/55/19's stock, you would need 235/65/17's so they would be the same height. As is, your speedo will be reading 6.1% too fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see that you already changed the tires.
One time wen I went to tire shop to mount snow tires, they broke a wheel sensor.
Then I had to take the car to the dealer to replace the broken sensor.
They had to dismount all 4 tires to find the broken sensor.
Now I go to the dealer to make sure this doesn't happen again.
they charge $105 to change from summer to snows on my wheels.

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see that you already changed the tires.
One time wen I went to tire shop to mount snow tires, they broke a wheel sensor.
Then I had to take the car to the dealer to replace the broken sensor.
They had to dismount all 4 tires to find the broken sensor.
Now I go to the dealer to make sure this doesn't happen again.
they charge $105 to change from summer to snows on my wheels.
Thanks for the heads up. Though the local shop did a good job, I am more comfortable with the dealer. True, I saved $80 but I was constantly worried they may break something (like what happened to you). I will have the dealer change the tires from now on. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts