Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days left on my tags, wondering what opinions are out there regarding oil change timing.
Better to change now, or in the spring when car goes back on the road?

·
Registered
490 Posts
One would think used oil should do no harm sitting cold at the bottom of the engine. OTOH, if you change now it will be exposed to the elements… remember that oil change is recommended every 12 months regardless.

I would wait and change before you resume driving.

In reality it probably wouldn't make that much difference but, without scientific data we can just sit here and theorize.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Change oil before you put away, definitely.

Combustion products in suspension in oil are acidic. Better to lay up with clean oil.
Totally agree with robm.UK, as a long time boat owner in the USA northeast, we all changed boat engine oil as a part of winterizing.
After a season of running, accumulated acids, & maybe some water sitting in the engine all winter is not a good idea.
I've seen more than one boat whose oil pan rusted on the inside, pin holes and leaking. Extreme examples I know, but all my engines get oil changes before winter sets in. When spring time comes around, the oil is still brand new and ready for another warm season of use.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I agree with Aero1 and robm. I'd always heard to give an engine fresh oil before putting it away. It is probably worse running it up and down a 700' driveway than just leaving it - unless you will have the engine running an hour or so.

I would think if you had fresh oil, a trickle charger on the battery and just left it - the oil would be "as new" when you started it in the spring.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Motor oil is not immune to oxidation. Fresh oil you put in before storing the car away will not be so fresh after 4-5 months.

I owned a car for 10 years that was only driven 3 months in the summer and garaged for the remaining 9, without ever starting the engine. Always left old oil in and changed it before driving again. No pinholes in the oil pan, no problems.

There is nothing wrong with putting fresh oil before going into storage either. I just don't think doing it one way or the other will make much difference.

If you really want to do it the right way, change the oil now and do it again in the spring.

·
Outstanding Contributor
880 Posts
Especially where low annual mileages are concerned, moisture contamination in motor oils is one of the most destructive forms of engine corrosion second only to particle contamination.

I don’t see too many R129 owners complaining about sludging or glazing. Although the latter has been remarked on by some who still use mineral based oil. Most have already switched from mineral to synthetic oil (shrinking oil seals is another story) so oxidation is a moot point in this context.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts