Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving up on ever getting a Quaife diff for my SLK32 and am now going to just do a Phantom Grip. Phantom Grip now has an application for the SLK32. The service CD mentions that you need Loctite 7063 cleaning spray and Omnifit 1 sealing compound. I'm sure other will work as well so I was wondering what people have used for this. What thread sealer and what strength? I won't mind using what the service CD says but a quick search did turn up what I was looking for. If anyone know a good place to get this stuff or a suitable replacement, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
YOU HAVE THE SERVICE CD?

You could be Bazzles best m8, if you gave him a copy;)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Contact Loc-Tite directly, they know which is the best out of their line for what you want to do....... At least I would think they are..... :)
I just re-read your post, if you are talking about the two plugs (fill and drain), they are tapered and don't really need sealer, just a good snug fit.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, I am talking about the fill and drain plug. There is a modification as of 19.01.04, "The oil drain screw must always be replaced with a new screw after removal from the rear axle assembly.
The new oil drain screw and the tapped hole must be cleaned using a special cleaning spray and a special sealing compound must be applied to the oil drain screw"

There must have been enough complaints of the drain screw leaking to cause to this change.

The cleaning spray is Loctite 7063 and the sealing compound is Omnifit 1.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I give up on trying to find someone that carries it. I called the dealer and I can at least order it from them. I'm not too worried about the thread locker or cleaner but the Loctite 5970 is a flange selant needed for the end cover of the pumpkin. At least the Service CD gives part numbers for this type of stuff but I couldn't find the part number for the differential drain plug. However, I don't think it is really needed. There is a note about it being needed because of a new EU standard for older cars. If anyone is interested in taking their differential apart, here are some materials with part numbers that you might want to have handy before taking on the task.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Well, I can't speak for the "new Standards" but mine hasn't leaked since I changed the oil in 2002. All I did was to screw the plug back in when I was done.... I guess the oil is more adept at escaping it's prison now. :D
There is the old plumbers trick of teflon tape if you're really concerned about it.....:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts