Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's a 35 year old car... I'd say these beauties hold up pretty well for 40 year old technology operating for 35 years.

I'll be pulling the heads this fall... maybe we could coordinate our efforts so we run into similar problems at the same time on opposite sides of the country. :laugh
Yeah but I have proof that the engine was fully rebuilt back in 2006.

Just goes to show you how much abuse these poor girls can take.

But yeah, let's totally do it. Hopefully by that time I will have another car so I can park it and take my sweet ass time. Biggest mistake was buying one of these cars without a real car to drive!

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
Yeah but I have proof that the engine was fully rebuilt back in 2006.

Just goes to show you how much abuse these poor girls can take.

But yeah, let's totally do it. Hopefully by that time I will have another car so I can park it and take my sweet ass time. Biggest mistake was buying one of these cars without a real car to drive!
SWMBO gets a new car every 3 years... I myself have never owned a daily driver that was built in this century. :laugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update post for all of you.

I was noticing an odd "tap tap tap" noise when accelerating.

I decided to check my oil level and was surprised to see that it was below the bottom one.

I was absolutely terrified! I immediately purchased some ZDDP (x2) oil treatments and added it in along with some extra 15w40.

The noise has subsided considerably. I believe my phawp phawp phawp noise were thirsty hydraulic compensators.

I am blown away because I have only 2500 miles between my oil change and now. I have no obvious leaks or blue smoke out of the tailpipe.

I will monitor oil levels during every fill up from now on. Averted a disaster for sure.

I have a pair of '84 euro spec SL's with the 500 engine. Whenever the oil is more than a quart low the oil pressure starts fluctuating below '2' while idling (600 rpm) at red lights and I know it is time to check the dipstick. Anything above 1000 rpm and the pressure is pegged at '3' even if two quarts down.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update post for all of you.

I was noticing an odd "tap tap tap" noise when accelerating.

I decided to check my oil level and was surprised to see that it was below the bottom one.

I was absolutely terrified! I immediately purchased some ZDDP (x2) oil treatments and added it in along with some extra 15w40.

The noise has subsided considerably. I believe my phawp phawp phawp noise were thirsty hydraulic compensators.

I am blown away because I have only 2500 miles between my oil change and now. I have no obvious leaks or blue smoke out of the tailpipe.

I will monitor oil levels during every fill up from now on. Averted a disaster for sure.

I have a pair of '84 euro spec SL's with the 500 engine. Whenever the oil is more than a quart low the oil pressure starts fluctuating below '2' while idling (600 rpm) at red lights and I know it is time to check the dipstick. Anything above 1000 rpm and the pressure is pegged at '3' even if two quarts down.
I wish my car was like this, but even at near the full line my pressure drops below 2psi very regularly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its normal for a chain tensioner to loose tension overnight. Its not normal to hear a rapping noise at start up. The rapping noise at start up after 24 hr rest is caused by worn chain tension guide, worn chain or worn sprockets. You can replace the tensioner if it makes you feel good. But I don't recall replacing one in my lifetime.

Not second guessing you (you’ve probably got 100X experience with these cars than I do) but I had ticking at start up, on the drivers side. Tensioner replacement and valve adjustment (solid lifters on mine) solved the problem. But, the most any of the lifter clearances were out was only .002. I believe my old tensioner had a weak spring, coupled with leaky check valve, causing the noise at start up.

Pretty sure the tensioner I replaced was original, so 45 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
9 Participants
okyoureabeast
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing