Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this only could be installed one way, but it turns out I'm wrong.
Which side is meant to go against the block?
And can I reuse this if it's been on the wrong way for a few weeks?

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,078 Posts
You can reuse it and just keep an eye for any leaks. Worst case scenario you can make or buy a new gasket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a new tensioner but was leaking a lot of oil after I installed it. My only guess is I somehow installed it incorrectly, so I just pulled & reinstalled it taking extra care that it's on the right way this time around. Hopefully it sticks this time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it re-installed but only had a day to drive before putting it away for the winter. Saw a few drops but hard to say if it's newly leaked. I'll have to deal with it in the spring.

But it begs the question -- is it possible the gasket is just bad? Or even the brand-new tensioner? The installation seems to be nigh idiot-proof (but never underestimate an idiot).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The gasket could be bad - that said, did you clean the crankcase to a perfectly smooth surface before installing the gasket? Another thing - did you torque all bolts correctly? In my 450 / M117 it's 25Nm which is fairly light.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wiped it clean with a shop rag but didn't use any degreasing agents... how clean is clean?
I couldn't get my torque wrench in there, but I likely way over-torqued them -- likely culprit?
Guess I'll invest in smaller torque wrench and try again with a new gasket.

Thanks for the info, btw. I'm new to this auto maintenance thing so nothing is obvious or intuitive to me yet.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
No worries oncebitter - we all learn something every day, I know I am! Two items that I didn't have much appreciation for before getting my old lady are importance of correct torques and.... grease! (hinges, linkages, etc. all need it more frequently unlike modern cars)

Re "how clean" - it should be like a baby's butt cheek, smooth to touch with no reside of the old gasket which likely fell apart when removed. This is to help create a solid seal between the two surfaces. It does sound like the tensioner mightn't have been torqued evenly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts