Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I had problems a year ago with timing chain rattle and I replaced tensioner. everything went smooth until now. it started rattling again. it only occurs on cold starts and for a few seconds but not everytime. it happens 1 time in 5 starts. do I need to replace the whole chain assembly. it seems a huge job and quite expensive. do I really have to? do you have any other recommendation (could hydraulic lifter addidives or something similar help?)
thanks.

·
Registered
B180 CDI Sport 6sp '09
227 Posts
why didnt you replace the whole assembly at first place? 400 Eur...
Dont put additive, oil already has all of additive that you need.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
10,157 Posts
It's quite common across Mercs. Something to do with the hydraulic chain tensioner backing off when the engine sits stopped for a while. My R350 has been doing it for over 100,000 miles and the chain hasn't broken yet.

Check for a factory recall.

One other thing some people swear by is pumping the brake pedal a couple of times before starting and keeping your foot on the brake pedal while starting.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
I have absolutely no idea...

Except that the brakes are probably servo assisted. In most cars that means they use vacuum pressure off the intake manifold. Maybe on Mercs they use positive pressure off the oil pump?

Seems to work (sometimes) though...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why didnt you replace the whole assembly at first place? 400 Eur...
Dont put additive, oil already has all of additive that you need.
dealer charged 1200euro for chain assembly replacement and they said car will sit for 1 week to do the job.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
I can believe that. It's a right Royal pain in the ass job to do properly. A backstreet mechanic might try replacing the chain using a rivet link but I would avoid that like the plague.

·
Registered
B180 CDI Sport 6sp '09
227 Posts
find an independent mechanic shop that does only mercedes benz. I bet you they will quote you around 400 Eur, parts are about 150 eur/200 eur.
Engine has to come out.
You are a bit mad to be honest to service this car at the dealer. The parts and labors will end you more than the re-sale value of the car. And you are overpaying

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the value of this car in my country is around 12.000 euros so keeping it running is important to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
do you know if transmission oil will leak while changing timing chain? because as soon as I understand transmission and engine needs to be taken out. even, while changing cv shaft transmission fluid leaks. do I need to pay for transmission fluid also?

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,008 Posts
Always smart to replace the oil if a metal part or parts have broken..Who knows if there are just a few metal bits circulating in and around through the small passageways..? One blocked passage and your tranny is toast....

Good luck in any case..!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always smart to replace the oil if a metal part or parts have broken..Who knows if there are just a few metal bits circulating in and around through the small passageways..? One blocked passage and your tranny is toast....

Good luck in any case..!
Travelling between engine to transmission? how is that possible?

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,813 Posts
He's talking about debris making its way around inside the transmission. Tiny passages in solenoids and valve body. You'd best have the valve removed and everything flushed clean, and air dried using compressed air.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,008 Posts
Yes indeed...If something breaks in the engine and bits can circulate around,...change the oil..

.....................If something breaks in the tranny and bits can circulate around,...change the oil.

..or as Paulo also said "You'd best have everything flushed clean, and air dried using compressed air."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually I'm going to change transmission fluid on monday, I'd like to know if I have to rechange it while doing timing chain work? If so, I'll change transmission fluid with timing chain job together (by the way I feel a bit confused about changing timing chain because I'm not sure it is really necessary).

·
Registered
B180 CDI Sport 6sp '09
227 Posts
well be sure, triple check it. Dont waste money if you dont have to. These cars can become expensive!

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
On the top sprocket connected to the end of one of the camshafts, see if you can lift it off the sprocket.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
after adding some hydraulic lifter noise stopper additive (Liqui Moly 20004 Hydraulic Lifter Additive) rattling sound dissapeared. I believe chain tensioner couldn't get proper oil pressure because of clogged oil passage ways and this additive cleaned them. what do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts