Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as some may of already heard - i am working on getting rollbars wrapped in Carbon Fiber, so far i got a quote for 250$.

Considering everything works out fine (i'll post pics when i'll get mine done) Anybody else want this mod ?

I want to get an idea how many people are interested so i can talk about setting up a group buy.

Should look somewhat like this:

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I thought this had fallen of the face of the earth. Been a long time since the subject was discussed.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i want it!! in silver!! let me know man.. i'm really serious about it.. everybody has chrome this would be something different.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
I want my roll bars to look like this:

I would like the seats too...

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
I'm IN!

[:D]

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
592 Posts
You could probably wrap a metal set in CF, but the factory ones in the pic are a little different. You can't just wrap the "soft" PVC factory roll bars, you would need to either make a mold, or a cast (called a "squeeze" in the business) with a harder material to wrap the CF around.

The ones in the pic are made by FAB Design who generally build one off parts for people like Princes and Sheiks with more money than God :( .

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kühl Carbon - 3/24/2005 12:31 PM

You could probably wrap a metal set in CF, but the factory ones in the pic are a little different. You can't just wrap the "soft" PVC factory roll bars, you would need to either make a mold, or a cast (called a "squeeze" in the business) with a harder material to wrap the CF around.
I had the same question and the guy's reply was:

>> Depending on the density of the foam, the coating
>> might be able to go
>> right over the top of it with no problem. This sort
>> of design is
>> called a 'sandwich' composite and is used
>> extensively in aerospace.
>> Scraping the foam off might be a hassle, depending
>> on how it is
>> attached to the metal underneath, but is also an
>> option.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
E-Klasse - 3/24/2005 12:31 PM

I think these are just painted - you can try the same process that's used to repair the center console.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Kirill - 3/28/2005 4:33 PM

E-Klasse - 3/24/2005 12:31 PM

I think these are just painted - you can try the same process that's used to repair the center console.
Yes, I agree. They are just painted to match the interior. It looks nice, though. I think that I saw this same idea on a Lorinser body kit ad.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Kirill, any updates? i just bought another set of roll bars... i'm also talking to a couple of places that does CF plating/molding. hopefully they will be able to do it.

anybody know what type of foam is between the steel tube and the cover? they guy is asking if it is a type of foam that can absorb liquid. i think he's planning to simply take out the cover and soak the foam into some type of resin to make is rigid and then wrap it with CF. also, does anybody have a better picture of the rollbar schematics?

Attachments

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slkpwr - 4/1/2005 10:02 PM

Kirill, any updates? i just bought another set of roll bars... i'm also talking to a couple of places that does CF plating/molding. hopefully they will be able to do it.
Nope - i am still waiting to hear from second place.

If you intresed - i can give you info of the guy who said he can fo it for 250$

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
slkpwr - 4/20/2005 11:08 AM

from the same guy?? i already sent my roll bars out.
No, new guy.

Wow. Any ATA when you'll get yours back.

Damn, i wanted to be the first one.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
hehehe sorry i ruined it for you.. but i just cant wait.. [:D] he hasnt given me a time yet. i also have group buy quote pending on carbon-werks.com, so who can do it for $200..? [8D]

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
200$ guy

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203612&posts=14&fid=45

1 - 20 of 54 Posts