Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Veryone,
I'm thinking of buying a 2008 E350 4Matic CPO, is there anything I should be aware of? Any pointers?
Cheers

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
Why not get a e500? lol
Check the past history on it, even if you are getting it Certified pre-owned.
Check how well its been maintained.
Hear the engine to see how clean it runs, and if you have a mechanic friend ask them to check it out as well.
Check the interrior inside out make sure the leathers not wrecked, check the tires see how worn out they are and also see the condition of the rims so theres no gutter rash's.
But like i can keep on naming things you should look out for soooo... the best thing to do would be, if you have a friend which knows alot about cars you should take him with you.
Oh and also check if the cars been tamperd with, aftermarket parts etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I would also check to make sure the Nav DVD is there if it has Nav.
Also brakes and make sure the wheels are not bent.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not get a e500? lol
Check the past history on it, even if you are getting it Certified pre-owned.
Check how well its been maintained.
Hear the engine to see how clean it runs, and if you have a mechanic friend ask them to check it out as well.
Check the interrior inside out make sure the leathers not wrecked, check the tires see how worn out they are and also see the condition of the rims so theres no gutter rash's.
But like i can keep on naming things you should look out for soooo... the best thing to do would be, if you have a friend which knows alot about cars you should take him with you.
Oh and also check if the cars been tamperd with, aftermarket parts etc etc.
Thank you Faizano & Noodles, this is pretty standard, what I meant is there anything peculiar to this model/make that I should be looking out for?
Is the year & model known for any particular deficiency, frequency of repair things like this.
Cheers

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
The 2008 4matic is a great car from what i hear, There has not been any deficiency well not that i know of but you should ask noodle's about this he knows alot more and would tell you a great deal more on this.
Hope i've been much help to you.

But in my opinion mercedes build great cars, Make sure if you buy a certified preowned it has warranty on it still because if somthing does go wrong in the first few months or a year you could have it coverd.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2008 4matic is a great car from what i hear, There has not been any deficiency well not that i know of but you should ask noodle's about this he knows alot more and would tell you a great deal more on this.Hope i've been much help to you.
But in my opinion mercedes build great cars, Make sure if you buy a certified preowned it has warranty on it still because if somthing does go wrong in the first few months or a year you could have it coverd.
Thank you Faizano,
The dealer is owned by MB Canada so I hope that there will be no shenanigans and will have the balance of factory warranty. I looked at the xtended warranty offered by MB and to me it looks quite pricey, what say you? Also waiting for noodles to chime in.
Cheers

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
Great car so far...I bought mine with 29,000 miles and the only thing I found so far was a leaky valve cover gasket (noticed behind the engine next to the firewall drivers side) covered under warranty. Just keep up with the maintanance and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great car so far...I bought mine with 29,000 miles and the only thing I found so far was a leaky valve cover gasket (noticed behind the engine next to the firewall drivers side) covered under warranty. Just keep up with the maintanance and you should be good to go!
Thanks BoM, I am almost a fanatic of preventive maintenance:)
Not to do so is to be penny wise & pound foolish, I only wish I had the skill & place to do my own work.

·
Registered
2007 E550 4Matic P2,Pano,Voice,Park,Trunk,Fold Seats, Black/Ash;;; 1989 560SL (sold 11/1/10)
292 Posts
Seriously look at a 550. Why get the boring V6 when you can get a lot more muscle and desirable options for a few grand more.

Buy the extended warranty. It cost me $1,700 at the dealer for a 2 year extension of the CPO warranty.

These cars are well built but any repairs you need, let alone major ones, will set you way back.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Thank you Faizano & Noodles, this is pretty standard, what I meant is there anything peculiar to this model/make that I should be looking out for?
Is the year & model known for any particular deficiency, frequency of repair things like this.
Cheers
I would go back through the pages and pages of history within this W211 segment.. You can also use the search tool to see what actual experiences others have had and possibly how much things cost to fix/maintain..

It's easy to ask but IMO you get a better story by browsing the history as a few owners might tell you everything's fine with the airmatic for instance.. Many of us that have been here for some time would never say that. You might say if you have the airmatic that there are no problems SO FAR...

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seriously look at a 550. Why get the boring V6 when you can get a lot more muscle and desirable options for a few grand more.Buy the extended warranty. It cost me $1,700 at the dealer for a 2 year extension of the CPO warranty.These cars are well built but any repairs you need, let alone major ones, will set you way back.
Hi Everettpa, the 550 has more muscle than I would ever need, plus it would add to my overall cost (gas, Ins. etc).
I looked at the xtended ins for 4 years and it was almost $4K may have to scale it down to 2 or 3.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would go back through the pages and pages of history within this W211 segment.. You can also use the search tool to see what actual experiences others have had and possibly how much things cost to fix/maintain..It's easy to ask but IMO you get a better story by browsing the history as a few owners might tell you everything's fine with the airmatic for instance.. Many of us that have been here for some time would never say that. You might say if you have the airmatic that there are no problems SO FAR...
Thank You Aeubank, will peruse the thread:thumbsup:

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
I'm glad I don't have airmatic...too expensive to fix and it seems that too many people "eventually" have problems with them.

E500/E550's don't come without airmatic do they?

Cocal, make a decision if you need 4matic as it is an added maintenance cost but well worth it if you get snow where you live

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
Airmatic failures are bad, but an average the cost to maintain a conventional spring
and shock setup over time using high quality parts has come out to be about the same.
Conventional suspension failures are bad and can do damage to a car just like an airmatic failure.

If one lives in an area with rough roads the Airmatic is a better riding car. Lifespan seems
to be better on the airmatic components. The downfall is the complexity of the system
and the crazy dealer pricing. Thus companies like Arnott have come to the rescue making
airmatic nothing to be put off by. $400 for a complete front assembly with a lifetime
warranty is hard to beat.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
E500/E550's don't come without airmatic do they?
Cocal, make a decision if you need 4matic as it is an added maintenance cost but well worth it if you get snow where you live
I think the E550 does come with airmatic, but am not sure.

As far as 4matic, unfortunately I live in the Toronto area and we do get a fair amount of snow. I find that in the winter I drive my wife's Subaru outback a lot so that's why am considering it, alas there is a trade off, the 4matic doesn't get the 7speed auto tranny, but you do get the surefootedness of the awd. I understand that now all luxury car manufact. are going to awd.
So say the soothsayers.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Airmatic failures are bad, but an average the cost to maintain a conventional spring
and shock setup over time using high quality parts has come out to be about the same.
Conventional suspension failures are bad and can do damage to a car just like an airmatic failure.

If one lives in an area with rough roads the Airmatic is a better riding car. Lifespan seems
to be better on the airmatic components. The downfall is the complexity of the system
and the crazy dealer pricing. Thus companies like Arnott have come to the rescue making
airmatic nothing to be put off by. $400 for a complete front assembly with a lifetime
warranty is hard to beat.

Noodles,

I can tell it's close to Thanksgiving if you believe some turkey's gonna buy what you said about airmatic and conventional suspension costing about the same amount to maintain :rolleyes:
I have heard nothing but horror stories from airmatic folks that have had problems. Sure, Arnott has come to their rescue but there are several that prefer to have their cars serviced at the dealer so the dealer will NOT install the system.. Matter of fact the price of the system only includes the parts and not the labor to install. This leaves those with no mechanical inclination, or a good inde at the mercy of the dealer.. Real talk.

As I know it the e550 (or any e-class with a v8) comes standard with the airmatic suspension and while some will go for years with no issues, when you do have issues, get ready to PAY.. Conventional suspension systems can just be replaced when the shocks/struts wear out.. All for the same price?? Not even close..

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
I agree if the dealer is involved the airmatic repairs are a rape.

My dealer will use Arnott parts, just no warranty at all other than Arnotts.
The dealer price on a standard front shock for a E350 is about $300. A fraction
of the cost of the airmatic cost. We see lots of airmatic cars on the rough roads
here and the system holds up better under the constant pounding than the
standard shocks that seem to have a about a 40-50k life span on average.
We get lots of airmatics in that are well over 100k miles and the SDS tests them
and we visually inspect them and they are good to go. We are seeing more rear
air spring failures than fronts. That can be an ouch at $700 list for the OEM MB part.

So I see your point, but when the law of averages comes across our shop's desks
it really is about a horse apiece because the airmatic is better on rough roads.
Having had one of each I really do like the ride quality of the airmatic versus conventional.
But when it goes wrong for the average owner that will take it to a dealer I concede
that the airmatic will give people a stroke. But 70% of MB owners leave the dealer
after the warranty and wither DIY or find a third party shop in our region. It is as
high as 90% loss for other makes once the warranty expires.

Years ago I had a BMW 540 sport and it had front shocks that had the electric dampening
control. One of them went out and the shock was $1700 per side. I tossed some Bilsteins
on it and save about $3000. It is criminal what the Germans are charging for OEM
shocks that have more than just compressed gas and oil in them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Seriously look at a 550. Why get the boring V6 when you can get a lot more muscle and desirable options for a few grand more.

Maybe he is planning on keeping it many years past the warranty like we do?
I could have bought any car I wanted but chose the V6 because of long term maintenance expenses. Most common problems and complaints on this and other forums are on the V8 cars. If you replace your car often then by all means get the V8.

Dan

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
I agree if the dealer is involved the airmatic repairs are a rape.

My dealer will use Arnott parts, just no warranty at all other than Arnotts.
The dealer price on a standard front shock for a E350 is about $300. A fraction
of the cost of the airmatic cost. We see lots of airmatic cars on the rough roads
here and the system holds up better under the constant pounding than the
standard shocks that seem to have a about a 40-50k life span on average.
We get lots of airmatics in that are well over 100k miles and the SDS tests them
and we visually inspect them and they are good to go. We are seeing more rear
air spring failures than fronts. That can be an ouch at $700 list for the OEM MB part.

So I see your point, but when the law of averages comes across our shop's desks
it really is about a horse apiece because the airmatic is better on rough roads.
Having had one of each I really do like the ride quality of the airmatic versus conventional.
But when it goes wrong for the average owner that will take it to a dealer I concede
that the airmatic will give people a stroke. But 70% of MB owners leave the dealer
after the warranty and wither DIY or find a third party shop in our region. It is as
high as 90% loss for other makes once the warranty expires.

Years ago I had a BMW 540 sport and it had front shocks that had the electric dampening
control. One of them went out and the shock was $1700 per side. I tossed some Bilsteins
on it and save about $3000. It is criminal what the Germans are charging for OEM
shocks that have more than just compressed gas and oil in them.
I'm in agreement with Noodles. Look, if one doesn't want a pneumatic suspension, then just don't get one. The system is not an inherently bad system. It's simply a more expensive system. Just like ABC is a more expensive system over Airmatic. People who want these suspensions will understand that they will pay to play. Just like one pays to play when buying an Italian exotic over any other option.

I've spoken in depth with SAs from various dealerships and several good Indy mechanics. The actual number of Airmatic 'failures' is a lot less than people assume. There are hundreds of thousands of Airmatic and ABC cars out there. Yes, the system is expensive. Afterall, it's a complex system. But the ride is superior to any common steel spring system. Plus it's adjustable on the fly from inside the cabin, including a raise button. It's why a Rolls Royce is so comfortable on harsh roads (the RR is hydropneumatic like Daimler's ABC.) These systems have been used by auto mfgs since 1954 (Citroen) and since 1964 for Mercedes.

(fwiw, I paid way more for Motons on my Porsche and they are steel, not pneumatic. But Motons give me a more adjustable and better performance ride than any other equivalent steel spring coilovers like Bilstein or KW. Again, you pay to play and that choice is up to you. Motons will also fail and they cost more than an Airmatic system to replace.)

The ONLY reason people talk about Airmatic so much (in the negative sense) is because they are expensive to repair/replace. Many people on this forum tend to be second hand owners and have figured out getting into a Benz is easy because of the high depreciation with its low resale pricing. But the cars weren't cheap new and aren't going to be cheap repairing and maintaining when used, either. It's the same story when people see the great prices on used Lambos, Masers, and Astons, etc.. And then when repair times comes........ :eek:

There's nothing wrong with the system. But just like the 'unconventional' systems (pneumatic and/or hydraulic) in Range Rover, Bentley, Lexus, Citroen, BMW, Audi, Rolls Royce, etc., it's a more elaborate and expensive suspension over steel springs (try an Audi RS6 DRC system if you want to experience an expensive repair!!)

Bottom line is that Daimler has been using Airmatic and ABC for quite sometime now (and improving on the components constantly) and will be using them into the future. If you don't want the ride it offers nor the expensive of repair out-of-warranty, then simply don't buy a MB with Airmatic or ABC. Or better yet, just buy a simpler car altogether and forget about a Benz.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Noodles,

I can tell it's close to Thanksgiving if you believe some turkey's gonna buy what you said about airmatic and conventional suspension costing about the same amount to maintain :rolleyes:
:p

It's true, that there's no way an Airmatic Suspension will be even close to the same to maintain as a conventional steel suspension (averaged out). It's a more expensive suspension to make, costs more to buy (new), and costs more to repair.

For a car that I'd own for the long haul, I'd be much more comfortable without an air ride (not literally, speaking figuratively). In fact, after my W220 (which had ABC), I just didn't wanna get involved with another Airmatic/ABC car, for the time being.

Another reason I didn't want an Airmatic right now, is the streets are turning to HELL, and although it would make for a cushier ride, I don't trust the system holding up well after navigating through such rigorous roads. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but I felt it'd be more of a liability if and/or when it breaks. With Arnott around now, and using a cost-effective Indie, things seem to be getting more friendly re: the Airmatic.

About the V6 VS V8 reliability, I do know that on speaking of the W212's, the V6's have been generally solid from the start, and it seems most little problems and niggles reported thus far have been with various components on the V8 cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts