Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?]i just took delivery of a new SL 55 in black. Like all black paints ther are a few minor scratches. I tried to buff them out using 3M finesse rubbing compound. They cleared a little but were not removed altogether. This paint is truly tough. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use on this paint?

Thanks,

Lou K

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone who is interested I detailed my car this weekend; black ceramiclear paint. I used Menzerna Intensive polish and final finish followed by Meguiars #16. Turned out beautiful but the ceramiclear paint is truly a bear to work with. The Menzerna polishes work great but they are time consuming. I tried 3M rubbing compounds with a Porter cable dual action machine to see the difference. The 3M product did nothing to the paint while the Menzerna's did polish out scratches; great polish that will work with the new MB paint.

Lou K

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mbDriven - 2/21/2005 4:27 PM

Get yourself a clear bra before you get those nasty paint chips.
I have the clear bra on 3 of my other cars and am mildly pleased. On a dark car you can definetly see them and no matter how good the installer is there is going to be a difference in the luster of the paint./ On a lighter color such as silver it is not as noticeable. I am not sure what I am going to do other than the headlights and fog lights

Lou K [}:)]

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
hi!

I was at Mercedes Manhattan and saw a light blue (maybe silver actually) SL55 and it had a clear bra.... and i swear to you, the color was effected. It took on a greener tint!!! It looked awful .

Anyone see this b4?
brad

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chucky300 - 2/28/2005 8:33 AM

hi!

I was at Mercedes Manhattan and saw a light blue (maybe silver actually) SL55 and it had a clear bra.... and i swear to you, the color was effected. It took on a greener tint!!! It looked awful .

Anyone see this b4?
brad
That is why I replied as I did. There is a difference in the "hue" of the paint. I'm not sure what is the lesser of the two evils; chips or a noticeable difference.

Lou K[?][?]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts