Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally had some clear block of time to get busy. Fully washed, iron decon, claybar, polish and IPA wipedown before the ceramic coat was applied (Armorshield IX).
Paint is as smooth as glass and this should make washing and overall UV protection bump for the next few years. I used my paint depth gauge to check on overall health and it read 140 on side panels, and a range of 82-95 on the hood, so prolonging the clear will be beneficial. My experience on my Audi when I had a spare panel to test on with sanding was that clearcoat burned through at ~70 on the gauge for clear breakthrough. No rust over here...but the paint takes a beating.

E350 had a good year - got all the door dings pulled, replaced the headlight lens', engine bay covers, new driver seat cushion and mb tex, transmission fluid change. Still drives like new...although I spend way too much $ on my cars...

In the new year I plan to get the front bumper refurbished and resprayed. Littered with rock chips beyond repairable, and I will fill the front license plate holes. If that goes well, I plan to respray the hood and blend into the fenders. My 040 spray test card came out extremely close in match and I have 2K clear ready to go. I had great success earlier this year at respraying a front panel on my Allroad so ready for the next step up.

·
Registered
2004 E500 4-Matic Wagon
64 Posts
Looks awesome! How much of the bottle did you go through? I want to do it on my wagon, but I'm afraid I'll run out.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One bottle is enough for one vehicle. You can almost do 2 coats.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
That's looking mighty fine indeed! Lots of good work there!

You've kept your headlights nice and clear, too. That takes regular work.

Mine's not nearly as well-kept, I fear. Am thinking about replacing the front and rear bumper covers and having the main body resprayed to make it all uniform again and cover up a couple of little scrapes. Either that, or just wrapping the thing purple. :)

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The headlight lens’ are new. You can get them for $50 on eBay Chinese special. However they have very minimal UV protection and go yellow within a few years (this is my 2nd set). This time around I immediately applied lamin-X film and ceramic coat so it’s got multi level layers of protection..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts