Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, 1999 SLK, 2005 BMW 525I
208 Posts
can anyone provide the proper part number of Akeebonos for a'96 SL320, are they the same as for SL500. Thanks

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
can anyone provide the proper part number of Akeebonos for a'96 SL320, are they the same as for SL500. Thanks
Sorry NO Akebono's fer you unless they have released a new product. Currently they are ONLY for the front and rear of the newer brakes on the R129 that include 4-piston Brembo calipers and 13" rotors on the front and larger rear rotors for MY99-02.

You could look into EBC Redstuff or others. Many of which are only for the front. But who cares ! That's where most of the dust builds up. In fact, if you go with ANY ceramic why not remove you current front pads and put a new set of ceramics on as long as your rotors are not warped.

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
I wonder if it would be worth checking if the pre facelift cars used a similar pad to another MB model(s) and checking if pads are listed by Akebono for these other models?

I only mention it as I noted last night that Akebono do not list pads for the R230 SL350. Not getting any joy from anyone on our sister forum, I spoke with someone in Akebono who said that whilst the model is not a US spec, he knew it used the same rear pads as the E500 and fronts as the SL500, so a set is on its way over!

Could be worth investigation.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
I have EBC red stuff on on four corners of my 1991 SL and love them. They will dust like crazy for the first 300-500 miles, but then they have little to no dust and stop better as well. I have had no squeeling problems.
I liked them so much I put them on the front end of my Jag and have a rear set waiting in the box to put on when needed.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
This gives you a good rundown of some of the options...

VWvortex Forums: Brake pad performance: Friction coefficient & operating temperature LIST

I don't see akebonos listed, or posi-quiet either, so this isn't a complete list of brands. But basically, you want the highest friction coefficient possible with the least dust. EBC redstuffs are pretty well regarded on both counts. I can say from experience that Akebonos are almost zero dust, but myself and the other two folks I know who've tried them have had some squeaking problems from the rears in reverse, so I dunno...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Watching the posts on pads, there is a definite divide on those who swear by RedStuff and those who swear by Akebono!

I am in the Akebono camp despite they are not avialable in the UK, yet RedStuff is made not 50 miles from where I live! So I import Akebonos at a premium of 20% over the cost of the RedStuff!

Has anyone used both Akebono and RedStuff on the same car and give us a comparison report on effectiveness and dust??

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Watching the posts on pads, there is a definite divide on those who swear by RedStuff and those who swear by Akebono!

I am in the Akebono camp despite they are not avialable in the UK, yet RedStuff is made not 50 miles from where I live! So I import Akebonos at a premium of 20% over the cost of the RedStuff!

Has anyone used both Akebono and RedStuff on the same car and give us a comparison report on effectiveness and dust??
I put RedStuff on all four corners, along with new Zimmerman rotors. No squeals and minimal dust.
But, they don't have the initial "bite" that GreenStuff have on my son's Volvo.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Let's make this perfectly clear. The only time Akebono's make ANY noise is when backing up. The Akebono pads are only available at this time for MY 99-02 R129. So in order to get to the bottom of the noise when backing up we would need cars with different manuf. ceramic pads between that age group. This is due to the larger 4-piston Brembo front calipers on MY99-02 R129.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have been looking around and comparing brake pad part numbers.

I think you can get Akebono pads for 89 - 96 SLs. What it needs is someone close to an Akebono outlet take in an old set of their pads and size them against Akebonos.

I see that the early SLs share the same pads as the W124 300 series, which Akebono list. So, I reckon for the fronts you could try EUR423 and for the rear EUR495... worth someone checking this out. I cannot do it as Akebono are not available in the UK.

·
Registered
02 SL500 SA, 03 Mercury Marauder, 89 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park
131 Posts
Just put these on the front of the SL about 600-700 miles ago. Centric Ceramic. I experienced much less dust, which is great. No noise and they are reasonably priced. I think they may take just a touch more push on the pedal to haul her down.
More Information for CENTRIC 10508470
I have been thinking of swapping out the rear pads for ceramic to keep the dust down. It is a dramatic reduction as others have said. Not a bad trade for my seat of the pants sense that it requires more pedal effort.

Also I have been installing Centric Extended wear pads on other vehicles with good results. They offer a fairly flat performance curve over the complete heat range OEM pads are generally best cold and fade hot. Performance pads generally are weak cold but are good hot. As I said the extended wear is pretty consistent through the heat range. They need a bit more push cold but don't fade much. They have seem to have more dust than ceramic and I don't have a lot of miles on any of the other cars yet to comment on the extended wear component, though they seem pretty thick after 10K miles on the Wagon with a big brake upgrade.

Jay

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
I will only ever use ceramic pads, on my 12th set now,,, they are much kinder to the disc as one can see by the shine on them.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts