Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I understand both EBC ceramic and Akebono produces minimal brake dust and your rotors last longer and this and that. Only I am uncertain to which pad is performs better for "extreme" driving styles and circumstances. (FOR STREET NOT TRACK). I would be very interested in more opinion from anyone.
I think that the decision has been made easy for you. Akebono only makes Ceramic pads for the larger MY99-02 R129 front 4-piston Brembo calipers. I'm sorry, but did you upgrade your car to this package?

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
I think that the decision has been made easy for you. Akebono only makes Ceramic pads for the larger MY99-MY02 R129 front Brembo calipers. I'm sorry, but did you upgrade your car to this package?
No Brembos on my car, looks like I will have to go with EBC. You couldnt have made the decision any more easier Lynns. Thank you for your info.

Looking at this website they do list applications for the SL500 from 1994 and up.

EBC Brake Pads for Mercedes-Benz

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Ml500, 2001 SL500
29 Posts
I just recently put EBC red stuff on my 2003 ML 500. I also put on brand new centric rotors. for the first 600 mile sor so the brakes shrieked like a banshee and dusted my front wheels as much as the old pads did. I currently have 1100 miles on the new pads they have quieted down significantly...just a bit os a squeak with light pedal pressure and very low speed application...still pretty dusty. I am told that this is just the break in coating that came with the brake pads...after 1100 mules, I am not so sure. The brakes have a great feel to them, but they do require a bit more pedal pressure that the old ones. They still squeal very loudly in reverse when cold, but pretty much goes away when warm. Iwill be very satisfied if the noise goes away, if not very pissed as they really are loud.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I just recently put EBC red stuff on my 2003 ML 500. I also put on brand new centric rotors. for the first 600 mile sor so the brakes shrieked like a banshee and dusted my front wheels as much as the old pads did. I currently have 1100 miles on the new pads they have quieted down significantly...just a bit os a squeak with light pedal pressure and very low speed application...still pretty dusty. I am told that this is just the break in coating that came with the brake pads...after 1100 mules, I am not so sure. The brakes have a great feel to them, but they do require a bit more pedal pressure that the old ones. They still squeal very loudly in reverse when cold, but pretty much goes away when warm. Iwill be very satisfied if the noise goes away, if not very pissed as they really are loud.
I'm sorry that you are going through the brake problems that you are. I suggest that if you really get fed up and want to replace the pads that you go with Akebono ceramic pads just to test them out and see what others have found. I also suggest that you consider purchasing them from RockAuto. p/n EUR847 for $78.79 are the same front pads that I have on my 2000 SL500.
Please read the following comments on Akebono pads at R129 brake job especially ceramic brake and rotor questions

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI, 2006 SL500, 2012 E350, 6 Sprinters.
37 Posts
just replaced my brakes on my 1999 SL 500, used SA rotors in front, the only issue I have is my mechanic used dot 3 instead of dot 4 brake fluid. Is this something to worry about or just let it go.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
just replaced my brakes on my 1999 SL 500, used SA rotors in front
I've noticed that M-B uses cross drilled rotors on the front and plain rotors on the rear on several of there newer Sport models and I kinda like that look.

BTW, whose brake pads did you end up with after all this talk about Ceramics reducing brake dust?

·
Registered
2003 Ml500, 2001 SL500
29 Posts
I would have gone witht the akebonos, but they did not make (or I could not find) any for the rear wheels and I did not want to mix brake types on the vehicle

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I would have gone witht the akebonos, but they did not make (or I could not find) any for the rear wheels
Akebono does have rear ceramic brakes for the MY99-02 R129. Sorry you couldn't find the Rear Akebono Euro ceramics, #EUR603 and Front Akebono Euro ceramics, #EUR847 Note: you will also need two Wear Sensors p/n 1405401217 for the fronts.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I am on my second SL with Akebono all round (individually imported as Akebono does not trade in the UK) and they are marvellous - good stopping, and C-L-E-A-N wheels! The only downside I have is that in reverse when cold, there is brake squeel but is goes away once warmed up.
i use RedStuff on my other car, but find that the Akebono has a better bite.
Hal, both Chris and i found out the same thing that you learned. No Akebono brake squeel going forward but there is a brake squeel when backing out of my garage. So I called Akebono and they said it is known as Morning Sickness dur to moisture build up. Quite honestly I don't know if I am buying his response. But I still love the ceramic pads because it's not that often that I drive in reverse.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hal, both Chris and i found out the same thing that you learned. No Akebono brake squeel going forward but there is a brake squeel on my rear wheel when backing out of my garage. So I called Akebono and they said it is known as Morning Sickness dur to moisture build up. Quite honestly I don't know if I am buying his response. But I still love the ceramic pads because it's not that often that I drive in reverse.
lynns when I had my SL I had the same problem on my rear pads while backing in my garage but since I didn't have Akebono and since it was after 6pm in Summer and it was usually after the rush from office to home (and you know I don't drive slowly) with probably more than 30 °C I think the squeal might be a wearing characteristic of the R129s if not of all Mercedes production with ESP or ASR since I sort of have the problem with the CL too.
This is what my twisted mind came up with: since we have a fair amount of power that we are very wiling to use in quick stats from standstill the ASR/ESP tends to apply brakes in a pulse fashion to the rear wheels to prevent/stop/attenuate wheel spin. So I thought that this might be what causes a certain wear in a certain way that in the long term can cause the squeal while reversing.
What do you people think?

Am I good to be taken to the mads house?

Cheers.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Hal, both Chris and i found out the same thing that you learned. No Akebono brake squeel going forward but there is a brake squeel on my left rear wheel when backing out of my garage. So I called Akebono and they said it is known as Morning Sickness dur to moisture build up. Quite honestly I don't know if I am buying his response. But I still love the ceramic pads because it's not that often that I drive in reverse.
Yeah, +1 on this one.

The first month or two after I installed them, they were silent. Then after awhile, they started squeaking in reverse. And this was WITH using the anti-squeal paste, so it wasn't like I forgot anything. But with that said, they have great grip and zero dust. So it's well worth it, at least to me. I wouldn't let this deter you, they are great pads.

And, like Msbarsi said, I too had a minor squeal in reverse ANYWAY, before I ever installed the akebonos, so FWIW I really don't think it's a big deal. I do agree their 'moisture' excuse sounds like B.S. If I had to guess, I'd say wear material is building up around the pad edges and inside the grooves on the rotor, and causing the squeak. Ceramic dust is much finer than the metallic dust you get on normal pads. That's my guess. Still, certainly not a big deal.

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,027 Posts
chris that squeal DRIVES me batty! I only get it in the back set as they are stock mb the fronts are Akebono. installed by mertd93 and they are silent as a church mouse. i did them all around on my jag and they were super silent and gripped amazingly well at first then started a slight squeal that lasted maybe 4 days, was on the phone every day with my guy that dropped them in. good thing he let me gripe about it and just said dont worry it will go away. then it went away. If they were squealing all the time i would have bitched to my mechanic. Nothing worse then pulling into a spot in a sweet ride outside a crowded street and having your brakes squeal!

lynns - i get that on my jag every once and a while in the morning going down my driveway. does it once and then never again. i called my mechanic he said basically teh same thing. it does it maybe once a month.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
chris that squeal DRIVES me batty! I only get it in the back set as they are stock mb the fronts are the ake.. installed by mertd93 and they are silent as a church mouse. i did them all around on my jag and they were super silent and gripped amazingly well at first then started a slight squeal that lasted maybe 4 days, was on the phone every day with my guy that dropped them in. good thing he let me gripe about it and just said dont worry it will go away. then it went away. If they were squealing all the time i would have bitched to my mechanic. Nothing worse then pulling into a spot in a sweet ride outside a crowded street and having your brakes squeal!

lynns - i get that on my jag every once and a while in the morning going down my driveway. does it once and then never again. i called my mechanic he said basically teh same thing. it does it maybe once a month.
Same exact thing here, it's always the rear, and never the front.

And specifically, I think it's the right-rear.

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Hal, both Chris and i found out the same thing that you learned. No Akebono brake squeel going forward but there is a brake squeel on my left rear wheel when backing out of my garage. So I called Akebono and they said it is known as Morning Sickness dur to moisture build up. Quite honestly I don't know if I am buying his response. But I still love the ceramic pads because it's not that often that I drive in reverse.
Lynn, Chris
I cannot categorically say I have found the cure for this sqeel in reverse, BUT I have noticed that after fitting the SA discs (rotors), the squeel all but went away...
It would be interesting to see if others with SA rotors find the same - but then Lynn, you have SA rotors, no?

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Lynn, Chris
I cannot categorically say I have found the cure for this sqeel in reverse, BUT I have noticed that after fitting the SA discs (rotors), the squeel all but went away...
It would be interesting to see if others with SA rotors find the same - but then Lynn, you have SA rotors, no?
I have the SA rotors. But I switched to them at the same time I switched to the Akebonos, so I am not in a position to say whether they had any effect one way or the other on the squeak.

I was getting squeaking on the rear brakes anyway, though, before I ever went to the akebonos. And that was with the stock rotors and pads.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
No, I decided to turn all four plain rotors and will put the MB drilled or slotted on the front next time.

BTW, Akebono told me, after the fact, that I didn't need the rotors turned because they where already burnished from the prior pads and the rotors were not warped. So that's where I could have saved some money, had I discussed burnishing with them prior to install.

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
Hal,
I changed over to the SA rotors front/rear and Akebonos on 1999 R129 several weeks ago. No squeal...yet...just fantastic braking and no dust to speak of.

Bob

21 - 40 of 53 Posts