Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OPINIONS ON: Ceramic Brake Pads

Has anyone used these on their SL?? I've read threads (from other forums) that they were the latest and greatest. "Claims of longevity, NO brake dust, NO brake fade, NO squeal, and as far as rotor wear . . . it is minimal" . . . as I've read. I believe the rotor wear would be more than with standard pads (afterall . . . somethings gotta give . . .) but would the wear equivalency be that of metallic pads? I was going to get these as my next replacement sets for my SL and my 911.

Anyone out there can vouch or negate their claims??

Thanks,
Hz.
[?][8D]

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody with input or comments out there??

Akebono Brake Pads come in ceramic formula . . . does anyone else manufacture them?

Hz[?][?][?][?]

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
No brake dust?!? Please tell me this is for real!

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No brake dust is for real, but brake noise and vibration are common side effects.
I'm a fan of the Porsche Forum (of which I own 2 - 911's) and I do not believe I read of anyone describe of those "side effects" there (as it applies to ceramics). Could those side effects been due to bad rotors, bearings and/or "do-it-yourselfers" doing the wrong procedure of just "brake slapping" with no prep?

Was the application on an SL Benz? I would like to know as I plan on going the ceramic route if I find it worthy.

Thanks in advance,
Hz[8)][xx(][|)]

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
I have drilled & slotted roters and ceramic pads on the front of my 87 300td turbo. I love them, car stops great and no dust. I have 15" 8 hole wheels and you can see the dust on the rear wheels but not on the front. They are great. Have only had them on for 8k miles so I do not know how long they last or if they eat the rotors or not but I also have drilled and slotted rotors on my 96 sl500 with factory pads. I plan to put ceramic pads on this winter.

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
I don't know the differences between "ceramic" pads & the ones offered by Porterfield, but I strongly recommend the Porterfield pads. I replaced the OEM
front pads earlier this year & confirm a significant
reduction of front brake dust
- possibly in the vicinity of 85% when compared to OEM pads.
I replaced the front rotors at this time also.
The pads require a bit more pedal pressure & do not
squeal.

Brett

·
Registered
1991 500SL
140 Posts
Check out "Red Stuff" ceramic brake pads by EBC. I see them offered by Summit Racing on Ebay. Not sure where else they may be available from. I am thinking of trying them out, and they have pads available for the R129's. I went to ceramic pads a few years ago on my 2000 Chev 3/4 ton which I was using to pull a 28 foot fifth wheel at the time. I know its a lot different application, but that experience was all positive - zero dust, as good or better braking, increased brake pad life, and no noticible increase in rotor wear over the OEM pads.

·
Registered
99 AMG Sport Silver w/ Navy Top
50 Posts
I've had no dust, no noise, no vibrations, no problems!

Change yours out as soon as you can.

·
Registered
2000 SL 500
14 Posts
Don't toy with me. No dust ? Seriously ? What brand do you use, by the way ? I've seen comments on other forums (no, it's ok, you're really the only "serious" forum for me) that talk about vibration and noise and so forth. Matching the right brand to the right car would appear to me essential, form what I can see.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
I believe one of our moderators (lynns) is running akebono and is very pleased with their performance.
Hopefully he'll chime in and post his experiences.
Otherwise, might I suggest PM-ing him for his input.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Back in January I decided to go with ceramic brakes and, at Lynns' recommendation, I decided to go with the Akebono pads. I could not possibly be happier with my brakes, and if you haven't gotten around to doing this yet then I HIGHLY recommend it.

There is zero dust, they perform great, and I don't notice any more noise or "side effects" than I had with the regular brakes.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
I've had CAR QUEST Ceramic pads on My car for more than 2 yrs. LIFETIME Pads and if I remember correctly they were about $150 for all 4 wheels. The other thing I noticed is this thread is 2 1/2 years old!!!!!!!!!! There has been alot of new stuff since then!!!!! There has been MANY threads on this in the last 3yrs.

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Let's not get too carried away - there is some dust, there has to be, but it does not show up like the black dust from standard pads.
I am on my second SL with Akebono all round (individually imported as Akebono does not trade in the UK) and they are marvellous - good stopping, and C-L-E-A-N wheels! The only downside I have is that in reverse when cold, there is brake squeel but is goes away once warmed up.
i use RedStuff on my other car, but find that the Akebono has a better bite.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Don't toy with me. No dust ? Seriously ? What brand do you use, by the way ? I've seen comments on other forums (no, it's ok, you're really the only "serious" forum for me) that talk about vibration and noise and so forth. Matching the right brand to the right car would appear to me essential, form what I can see.
Please read Akebono user comments

Note: I called Akebono's technical staff and they informed me that if your rotors are in good shape then there is no need to turn or replace them unless you want the SA cross drilled rotors as an upgrade. In fact they mentioned that because the rotors where already burnished from the prior brakes it was better not to turn them and that way save youself some money. I also realized that I really didn't have to do all four wheels. I could have just replaced the front brake pads that gave me most of the dust problems. BTW, you should have NO vibration problems unless your rotors are warped and I kind of doubt that.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Let's not get too carried away - there is some dust, there has to be, but it does not show up like the black dust from standard pads.
I am on my second SL with Akebono all round (individually imported as Akebono does not trade in the UK) and they are marvellous - good stopping, and C-L-E-A-N wheels! The only downside I have is that in reverse when cold, there is brake squeel but is goes away once warmed up.
Yes, there is some dust, but you have to admit it's probably 80%-90% less than with the stock pads. It's a major improvement, and since I wash my car every week, for me this translates to zero dust on the rims.

I did have to go 3 or 4 weeks between washes once, and the wheels were the only clean part of the car. Lol.

·
Registered
1999 SL500; 1996 E320
9 Posts
Got a set for the fronts of my 99 SL500 to replace OEM. They're Akebono and I got them shipped from TireRack. Apparently those users liked them, so I figured I'd give them a shot (since they worked so well on my 96 E320). Well, after 1000 miles, the front rims are actually CLEANER than the rears, and it's a nice feeling knowing that your front rims don't look like they'd been spray-painted black after two days. I guess I figured that since I had the AMGs off for complete resurfacing/repainting, I might as well do the brake pads. Thankful I did...no squeal, no lack of bite (although I don't slam 'em now or ever), and no dirt. Sure beats KleenWheels.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Hello Hal, and Everyone,

Speaking on this topic, I inspected my brakes earlier today and looks like the front pads are getting thin. Time for some brake work in the near future. Okay, so I have been thinking about EBCs RED EBC Brakes - Home of the worlds largest range of brake products - Redstuff Brake Pad Information for some time as I have heard nothing but good things about them for years. After learning more about Akebono from this thread, I am now undecided. I understand both EBC ceramic and Akebono produces minimal brake dust and your rotors last longer and this and that. Only I am uncertain to which pad is performs better for "extreme" driving styles and circumstances. (FOR STREET NOT TRACK). I would be very interested in more opinion from anyone.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 53 Posts