Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to reduce my 1986 560SL front brake dust.

Options in my mind are protective shields or ceramic pads. Shields are OK with the serial wheels and the ceramic pads may need special rotors.

I do not have serial wheels. i prefer use serial rotors - they are still like new.

I am interested to hear any comments about the ceramic pads - especially at front axle. With and without rear axle modification or rotor update.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The only issue with ceramic pads is that they are a harder compound than OE pads. They don't have quite as broad a temperature range, either, mostly on the "cold" end of the scale. But they work quite well, particularly when very, very hot, after the point at which the OE pads are starting to fade.

That the pads are harder may mean you do not get two sets of pads to one set of rotors, you might get it down to closer to 1:1. But considering that the pads also generally last longer (being a harder compound) the net loss is probably not that significant.

Besides, the time you save NOT washing your wheels is priceless, and certainly worth more than replacing rotors a little more frequently. ;)

For others reading the post, the shields can cause problems of their own because they may partially block an air path and thus inhibit the brakes' ability too cool off. This is true on any car, not just MB.

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,330 Posts
I've been running Porterfield R4-S pads front and rear for a while. Only complaint, they are a little "grabby" when cold but nothing I can't live with.
They definitely will stop you.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Running a set of Porterfield's on the front for a little while now. Really like not having to clean the wheels so often.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
192 Posts
While I'm using original type pads that create a lot of dark smut, they work well. I Put on Balo rotors. I have had very good results on a Honda Accord V6 with ceramic pads and the Balos. They are supposedly made for the harder ceramic brakes. I am also considering going ceramic pads.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,204 Posts
I have EBC red stuff ceramics up front with SL600 rotors and calipers. They stop OK when cold but you will need more pedal pressure. They are dust free. The thing that bothers me most is the brake feel is not smooth like the dusty MB pads. If you slow down from high speeds fast they get real smooth and work excelent, but that is not the way I generally drive.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
I have EBC red stuff ceramics up front with SL600 rotors and calipers. They stop OK when cold but you will need more pedal pressure. They are dust free. The thing that bothers me most is the brake feel is not smooth like the dusty MB pads. If you slow down from high speeds fast they get real smooth and work excelent, but that is not the way I generally drive.
What do you mean by "not smooth"? Do they chatter or something?

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
What do you mean by "not smooth"? Do they chatter or something?

Its a feeling you get in the pedal. Just feels like you are stopping on gravel except with lots of stopping power. No sqweeks or other issues, not a warped rotor 1 per rev problem, just not a smooth as glass brake apply like MB pads

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Its a feeling you get in the pedal. Just feels like you are stopping on gravel except with lots of stopping power. No sqweeks or other issues, not a warped rotor 1 per rev problem, just not a smooth as glass brake apply like MB pads
Okay, got ya. But I am so sick of the filthy rims on our Expedition, that the next set of pads it gets will be ceramic. I have not noticed that much of a problem with the MB pads on the SLs. But then we never driver em over 90 and we never brake em!

just kiddin. We drive over 90 all the time.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I will be trying Porterfield next time. Not shure if they make front pads for the later 107's but I have SL600 calipers and rotors, which they do support.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts